ALS ice bucket challenge

While I appreciate the current social trend and it's cause I'm not about to do this. Someone challenged me to do this and I see no point in it whatsoever unless the actual act itself donates money somehow.

While I appreciate the current social trend and it's cause I'm not about to do this. Someone challenged me to do this and I see no point in it whatsoever unless the actual act itself donates money somehow.

I challenged my boss and 10% of our website's sales on Labor Day are going to ALS. That's the point.

BvfRbq7.gif

It's marketing.

Without this type of social media marketing no one would be donating this much to the cause against ALS.

When is the last time you donated to help cure Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease?

You can say things like, " I see no point in it whatsoever unless the actual act itself donates money somehow." I will give you a couple of points why the act helps.

1.) The act is bringing attention to the donation
2.) By bringing attention to the donation you are giving more motivation to others that wouldn't normally donate
3.) By challenging other you are giving a personal appeal to others to get involved
4.) You ask why do others have to know? Because when you can create a social media fad then you can persuade more to join. Currently, ALSA has raised $88.5 million this year. Last year at this time they had raised $2.6. (financial information comes from Huffington Post)
5.) Obviously, there is a correlation between the ice bucket challenge and the amount of donations that they have
6.) People are having fun for a good cause. You may not find it fun, and that is ok. It's different and unique. People enjoy it.
7.)Are you aware of how the ice bucket challenge started? Peter Frates was a college baseball player diagnosed with ALS. 5 years after his diagnosis (I think it is 5 years it could be 6) he is no longer able to walk, or talk. His wife has stood by him. She also married him after his diagnosis. His friends started this challenge as just a fun way to raise funds for his cause. They challenged a couple of people and in about a month it grew into what it is today.
8.)It's hot outside. People get in cold water for a chance to cool off.
9.)Just another excuse to goof around with friends, family, and co-workers. I did that and we all had a blast. As the poster earlier mention, they did it with their co-workers

So if you want to continue to be negative towards the ice bucket challenge that's fine. Though this is yielding results in fund raising, and helping to find a cure for a terrible disease.

govols I address your question in point 4.

Reactions: 2 people
I think the other point is why not just give 10%? Why does anybody have to know? Why does ice need to be involved?

If nobody knows about it, then our labor day sales are smaller and we don't raise as much money for ALS.

Not saying you are a hater, but I can't believe how many people are naysaying. Sure, if you'd rather give to cancer, I can't argue that, because it's probably better than giving to ALS, but giving to ALS is good and I can't believe anybody would be critical of those who do.

From what I've read they don't pay out a very large percentage as a charity. I'd prefer to donate to an org where the money gets to where it needs to be

Reactions: 1 person
From what I've read they don't pay out a very large percentage as a charity. I'd prefer to donate to an org where the money gets to where it needs to be

Which makes it hard to donate to anything anymore. This ice bucket challenge has been going on for awhile now before they threw in the ALS part.

Very important to know before you donate.

I will donate to the Shriners, lions club, & St Jude. Sometimes to Red Cross because they helped me one time when I was in the military. Anybody else & it's hard to trust where the money goes. And sometimes Salvation Army around Christmas.

I will donate to the Shriners, lions club, & St Jude. Sometimes to Red Cross because they helped me one time when I was in the military. Anybody else & it's hard to trust where the money goes. And sometimes Salvation Army around Christmas.

Wouldn't give a squirt of piss to the Red Cross.

It's marketing.

Without this type of social media marketing no one would be donating this much to the cause against ALS.

When is the last time you donated to help cure Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease?

You can say things like, " I see no point in it whatsoever unless the actual act itself donates money somehow." I will give you a couple of points why the act helps.

1.) The act is bringing attention to the donation
2.) By bringing attention to the donation you are giving more motivation to others that wouldn't normally donate
3.) By challenging other you are giving a personal appeal to others to get involved
4.) You ask why do others have to know? Because when you can create a social media fad then you can persuade more to join. Currently, ALSA has raised $88.5 million this year. Last year at this time they had raised $2.6. (financial information comes from Huffington Post)
5.) Obviously, there is a correlation between the ice bucket challenge and the amount of donations that they have
6.) People are having fun for a good cause. You may not find it fun, and that is ok. It's different and unique. People enjoy it.
7.)Are you aware of how the ice bucket challenge started? Peter Frates was a college baseball player diagnosed with ALS. 5 years after his diagnosis (I think it is 5 years it could be 6) he is no longer able to walk, or talk. His wife has stood by him. She also married him after his diagnosis. His friends started this challenge as just a fun way to raise funds for his cause. They challenged a couple of people and in about a month it grew into what it is today.
8.)It's hot outside. People get in cold water for a chance to cool off.
9.)Just another excuse to goof around with friends, family, and co-workers. I did that and we all had a blast. As the poster earlier mention, they did it with their co-workers

So if you want to continue to be negative towards the ice bucket challenge that's fine. Though this is yielding results in fund raising, and helping to find a cure for a terrible disease.

govols I address your question in point 4.

Are we going to try to solve every disease? There are over millions of them. All this money is just going to another racket that wont solve anything like the cancer one. They have that walk every year, and millions are still dying of cancer.

We're making careers here.

I think the other point is why not just give 10%? Why does anybody have to know? Why does ice need to be involved?

Agree! I'm tired of seeing this shat everyday. Just donate your money, like I do. People who do this challenge are making it about them and not the cause.

Are we going to try to solve every disease? There are over millions of them. All this money is just going to another racket that wont solve anything like the cancer one. They have that walk every year, and millions are still dying of cancer.

We're making careers here.

You are a fabulous troll.

Attention whores!

Yes. I've saw guys use bucket loaders to do it & everything in between. Not sure if a hoax or not but a girl had about a 20 gallon bucket full of ice & water dropped on her head from about 10 ft & apparently she died. Apparently too heavy for the one weak guy to lift & it slipped.

Some are doing it for attention, some are doing it for fun. My 70 year old neighbor did it and she isn't an attention whore

VN Store

Back