Tiny Houses

Vol8188

revolUTion in the air!
Anyone have any experience here? I've got about 10 days off work and nothing to do. Thinking about drawing one up, and calculating all the costs. Although I doubt the wife will be down.

Anyone have any experience here? I've got about 10 days off work and nothing to do. Thinking about drawing one up, and calculating all the costs. Although I doubt the wife will be down.

Take another Percocet and go to bed.

:)

This does seem to be a fad right now though.

Tell her it's going to be a glorified chicken coop.

Lol in all honesty building 500-600 square foot guest home on our property that we could live in while we pay off our land, and possibly rent later.

I think it would be awesome. Plus I like the idea of building it myself.

Reactions: 1 person
Make it the smallest house in your subdivision. Mine is the biggest in the whole subdivision and it was a mistake.

Make it the smallest house in your subdivision. Mine is the biggest in the whole subdivision and it was a mistake.

Our current house is the nicest in our subdivision so we probably won't sell it. Just rent it. You always get screwed trying to sell the biggest or best home in an area.

I've thought about doing this too. The Netflix documentary that was mentioned shows a guy building his from scratch on a beefed up two axle trailer bed. Pretty cool, but it looked like a ton of work. If you are good with Autocad and understand detailing, making plans wouldn't be too difficult.

I built a 240 sq ft one and I've stayed in it, my uncle used to come down from Lawrenceburg and stay in it, my little brother used to live in it, and a friend of mine is currently living in it paying me $100 a week.. DO IT!

If you live in the Knoxville area, you might want to check out the Children's Museum in Oak Ridge. They have a demo energy sufficient small home on display. It has a futuristic interior design and the latest solar roofing. My guess is that it is about 500-700 sq ft. Call first because I think you need an appointment to see it.

Reactions: 2 people
I built a 240 sq ft one and I've stayed in it, my uncle used to come down from Lawrenceburg and stay in it, my little brother used to live in it, and a friend of mine is currently living in it paying me $100 a week.. DO IT!

You don't have a copy if blue prints you could send do you? And what did you use for the foundation?

If you live in the Knoxville area, you might want to check out the Children's Museum in Oak Ridge. They have a demo energy sufficient small home on display. It has a futuristic interior design and the latest solar roofing. My guess is that it is about 500-700 sq ft. Call first because I think you need an appointment to see it.

Trip worth taking. Oak Ridge is my hometown and my kids have been there many times. They also have camps and workshops that are very good for the kids.

You don't have a copy if blue prints you could send do you? And what did you use for the foundation?

I built it to be mobile.. It's built on 2 4x6 runners with a 45 cut on each end with large I hooks, 2x6 floor joists, being that I built it to move, I built it 10' wide 14' long ( fits on a rollback).. If yours will be stationary, go 12-14 wide!!! Therefor all lumber won't go to waste.. If you need any more advice just post it , and I'll help if I can!

Start ground up, frame your walls, then ceiling joists, and you can make whatever pitch for your roof you want (go with a higher pitch)... That way you can have a loft for storage or sleeping quarters! And, stop axe'n me questions :)

Looks like a prison with unlocked doors to me. Man does not belong in something that small.

Our current house is the nicest in our subdivision so we probably won't sell it. Just rent it. You always get screwed trying to sell the biggest or best home in an area.

Shouldn't have put that double wide in.

Start ground up, frame your walls, then ceiling joists, and you can make whatever pitch for your roof you want (go with a higher pitch)... That way you can have a loft for storage or sleeping quarters! And, stop axe'n me questions :)

post a pic, it's great that you built it

Never had even heard of this until I recently caught a show on TV. Still not sure I fully understand the goal/purpose.

VN Store

Back