advice or input on 5.7 vortec motors

OrangeBlood4life

Ok. I have been wanting a 96-98 gmc z71 since I was in high school. I wanted a white one . So I finally have the extra money to just buy one. I found one, it does not have one single scratch or dent. Absolutely immaculate in every way possible. New trans 4000 miles ago. New a.c. compressor, intake manifold gaskets, oil pump,water pump,fuel pump and sending unit,and oil pan gaskets. See the receipts.

So my question is this truck has 190,000 miles. What is yallsexperience on the 5.7 . How many miles on average do they last? From the looks of this truck it has been taken care of

The 350 (5.7) is the best engine GM ever built. There are other things about the truck to look at or expect some issues. But nothing major. Those years are actually my favorite of the Chevy/GMC truck.

If the price is good, I can't see you going wrong on this deal. A co-worker has a 1997 with 210,000 miles on it. He isn't easy on it, and it goes strong every day.

Gonna get a compression and leak down test before I buy just to make sure. But I have not seen a truck this body style this clean before. The paint and body is in better shape than my 2007 silverado. If I had to get it rebuilt, anyone know what it would cost. The trans was rebuilt 4000 miles ago in June. New torque converter also

Gonna get a compression and leak down test before I buy just to make sure. But I have not seen a truck this body style this clean before. The paint and body is in better shape than my 2007 silverado. If I had to get it rebuilt, anyone know what it would cost. The trans was rebuilt 4000 miles ago in June. New torque converter also

1,000.00 bucks for a new crate engine. 3/36,000 mile warranty. Not worth it to rebuild for that cost.

I have the 5.7 in my 97 suburban. Great engine. I've had an oil leak that I fixed and few AC issues ( along with calipers, pads, master cylinder and brake booster) but nothing major engine wise. Great engine and still travel in it daily.

1,000.00 bucks for a new crate engine. 3/36,000 mile warranty. Not worth it to rebuild for that cost.

This.

Is a damn good motor, and even if something breaks there's millions more just like it. Crate motors, junkyards, and aftermarket parts to keep it running for years.

My little Silverado has the 4.3 (little brother to the 350) and just keeps plugging along.

I own some NAPA Stores and the most popular parts for those trucks are Intake gaskets, Water pumps, A/C Compressor, Clutch cycling switch, Starter, Alternator, and FUEL PUMPS. Plan on about $400 per year in expense which isn't bad. I've had about 10 of those trucks

I own some NAPA Stores and the most popular parts for those trucks are Intake gaskets, Water pumps, A/C Compressor, Clutch cycling switch, Starter, Alternator, and FUEL PUMPS. Plan on about $400 per year in expense which isn't bad. I've had about 10 of those trucks

All that stuff is recently replaced. So I should be good on that stuff.

I have the 5.7 in my 97 suburban. Great engine. I've had an oil leak that I fixed and few AC issues ( along with calipers, pads, master cylinder and brake booster) but nothing major engine wise. Great engine and still travel in it daily.

How many miles does it have?

That's from summit. I can get them from GM for 1k. You just have to know where to look.

His truck is a vortec. 265hp. Btw

I searched for a bit. Only saw the ones on jegs and other places like that. For like 1600. Where are you looking to find one for that price?

I searched for a bit. Only saw the ones on jegs and other places like that. For like 1600. Where are you looking to find one for that price?

GM.

Example I can get ford parts from tousley ford cheaper than I can my local dealers. This particular dealer sells to us ford boys at a better rate because of a website I'm on. Same goes for the Chevy boys. Not to mention, my brother in law in a master tech with GM. I get a family discount. For 600 bucks difference I can it drop shipped.

I could have bought crate 350's for 900 each 6 months ago. Straight up. No discount. Just have to know where to get the deals.

GM.

Example I can get ford parts from tousley ford cheaper than I can my local dealers. This particular dealer sells to us ford boys at a better rate because of a website I'm on. Same goes for the Chevy boys. Not to mention, my brother in law in a master tech with GM. I get a family discount. For 600 bucks difference I can it drop shipped.

I could have bought crate 350's for 900 each 6 months ago. Straight up. No discount. Just have to know where to get the deals.

and let's be honest here, you also get a "family" discount that other people may not have access to

GM.

Ok. So if it blows up I need to contact you. Hook a fellow vol up

and let's be honest here, you also get a "family" discount that other people may not have access to

I guess you skipped the first part of my post.

I can get deals based on forums I am a member off. Hence the 900 crate engines 6 months ago.

They are called group buys. ( in some instances) my family discount I use for friends for little things. I don't need it, I don't own a single GM product.

VN Store

Back