Gene Simmons thinks people with depression should kill themselves

While I appreciate his honesty at times, this was a wrong time for those comments, given the recent events. I also think that there are some truths in what he said, but the way he said it is insensitive and cold. Gene's always been one to just go off the cuff though.

Depression is a serious thing. I'm not talking about these whiny pansies that say I'm depressed because blah blah. I'm talking chemical imbalances in the brain that cause you to not even know who you are anymore. The struggle of not even knowing why it happened or even what happened. Trying to convince yourself in time this will pass. Going to doctors bein told you're fine, but you know you're not. Feelin disoriented as in legit feel like you could lose your mind. So to you I say Gene Simmons.. F*** you.

Reactions: 1 person
While I appreciate his honesty at times, this was a wrong time for those comments, given the recent events. I also think that there are some truths in what he said, but the way he said it is insensitive and cold. Gene's always been one to just go off the cuff though.

I agree. Some of the time people say things for the attention, which is what I think he was referring to. But in most cases, depression is real and these people do need help.

Depression is a serious thing. I'm not talking about these whiny pansies that say I'm depressed because blah blah. I'm talking chemical imbalances in the brain that cause you to not even know who you are anymore. The struggle of not even knowing why it happened or even what happened. Trying to convince yourself in time this will pass. Going to doctors bein told you're fine, but you know you're not. Feelin disoriented as in legit feel like you could lose your mind. So to you I say Gene Simmons.. F*** you.
Bingo. If you haven't been there, you can't comprehend how absolutely miserable it is.

In all fairness to Simmons, his remarks were made on July 31, nearly two weeks before Robin Williams committed suicide.

Gene has always said that Ace and Peter's drug use destroyed KISS. Looks like it might be his big mouth that's their undoing. KISS is losing a lot of fans over this.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Here's a tip for Gene.. There is a country in Africa that has been plagued with the AIDS virus for decades. People's spouses, who were un-infected, despite being married to someone with the virus, were dying. This country had no word for depression in their language. As a result, many people literally died of depression because if there was no way to recognize what it was, they were unable to treat it. At this point, a word and a treatment has been infused into the language.

The most telling of his comments were, "I'm depressed. I live in Seattle." This rant was about Kurt Cobain (suicide), Andy Wood (overdose), Layne Staley (overdose) and the resentment that many rockers from the '70's and '80's hold toward the Seattle based bands Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains for pushing them off MTV and the radio in the early to mid '90's...The Seattle bands were perceived to have more substance and made the glam rock hair bands looks silly by contrast...Ted Nugent said something very similar about Cobain's suicide at the time. I think this is about jealousy more than anything else.

Reactions: 2 people
The most telling of his comments were, "I'm depressed. I live in Seattle." This rant was about Kurt Cobain (suicide), Andy Wood (overdose), Layne Staley (overdose) and the resentment that many rockers from the '70's and '80's hold toward the Seattle based bands Nirvana, Soundgarden and Alice In Chains for pushing them off MTV and the radio in the early to mid '90's...The Seattle bands were perceived to have more substance and made the glam rock hair bands looks silly by contrast...Ted Nugent said something very similar about Cobain's suicide at the time. I think this is about jealousy more than anything else.

I kinda felt this resentment in his comments as well.

You Nailed It.

Word. Thank goodness for Seattle bands too. Burying the crap rock of the 80's was their gift to the world. Shutting the mouths of juvenile, washed up rock stars was a beautiful thing.

VN Store

Back