**** Comcast

appyvol

So, I have had Comcast for a few years, always been satisfied. My dad went through a nasty seperation, and has a huge house with just him there. I decided I would move in with him and split the bills, it made sense for both of us. Because my former stepbrother and stepmother have delinquent accounts, they are refusing to transfer service unless I pay both of their bills, and won't let me out of my contract, so I have to pay the massive early termination fee. My question is, does anyone know if I have any leg to stand on here?

Don't terminate the service. Ask them if you can re-up on a new deal and change the name on the account.

So, I have had Comcast for a few years, always been satisfied. My dad went through a nasty seperation, and has a huge house with just him there. I decided I would move in with him and split the bills, it made sense for both of us. Because my former stepbrother and stepmother have delinquent accounts, they are refusing to transfer service unless I pay both of their bills, and won't let me out of my contract, so I have to pay the massive early termination fee. My question is, does anyone know if I have any leg to stand on here?

Comcast requires contracts now?

If you really think about it, the policy kinda makes sense.

I've gotten out of contracts early with no issue so long as I moved to a place that already had comcast service in place.

Sounds like your dad did not have the comcast in his name. See what happens if he tries opening his own account there.

If you're still between a rock and a hard place... Lawyer up (jk I think that may go to small claims)

If you really think about it, the policy kinda makes sense.

I've gotten out of contracts early with no issue so long as I moved to a place that already had comcast service in place.

Sounds like your dad did not have the comcast in his name. See what happens if he tries opening his own account there.

If you're still between a rock and a hard place... Lawyer up (jk I think that may go to small claims)

Both of their delinquent accounts are from different addresses, so what they are saying is if anyone you*COULD be associated with has a delinquent account, they have the right to deny you service.

Both of their delinquent accounts are from different addresses, so what they are saying is if anyone you*COULD be associated with has a delinquent account, they have the right to deny you service.

That doesn't quite add up. If Comcast refused service to everybody who had a deadbeat relative...they'd crash and burn rather quickly.

Was your Dad listed on either of those accounts? Is he going to be listed on the new account?

I'd call and calmly ask to be escalated to get a better explanation of what they're telling you.

Reactions: 1 person

There is no way this is accurate. There is something else that's going on, either his name was on an account before or something else like that.

There is no way this is accurate. There is something else that's going on, either his name was on an account before or something else like that.

I was told where both formerly lived in the residence, though never had accounts there, I was considered associated with them. It doesn't quite add up to me either. Dad has never had a comcast account.

I was told where both formerly lived in the residence, though never had accounts there, I was considered associated with them. It doesn't quite add up to me either. Dad has never had a comcast account.

Call back and politely ask to be escalated to a manager because you have a very in depth billing/account situation. You'll need to be escalated to someone with more experience and ability to understand what you are asking them. They need to explain how mere "association" is reason to refuse service.

I don't see anyway in the world they could say you were associated with a bad account simply because some is/was a resident where you now live.

That doesn't add up and it sounds like somebody told you some very incorrect information. That, or somehow you or your dad's name/info was on those accounts.

Call back and politely ask to be escalated to a manager because you have a very in depth billing/account situation. You'll need to be escalated to someone with more experience and ability to understand what you are asking them. They need to explain how mere "association" is reason to refuse service.

I don't see anyway in the world they could say you were associated with a bad account simply because some is/was a resident where you now live.

That doesn't add up and it sounds like somebody told you some very incorrect information. That, or somehow you or your dad's name/info was on those accounts.
Actually Wally, it does add up. Sounded suspicious to me also so I did a quick search of "can comcast deny service because of association with delinquent account". Appy's problem isn't the first and wont be the last. Here's a good explanation of why Comcast does what it does. Its from 2012.

I see a lot of people in here think it's unfair for Comcast to deny the son service even though he didn't do anything wrong. I've worked for several MSOs around the world and this is standard practice. A lot of customers abuse the system and sign up for services they can't afford and rack up massive amounts of debt that the MSO will never recover and then pass on the torch to other family members to repeat the cycle.

At one particular MSO I worked for, if you decided to break policy and activate for a family member of someone who is severely delinquent, we had a special team that monitors activities like this and has no qualms about proactively cancelling these accounts even if the service is already active and calling them up and telling them one.

This same MSO went as far as blacklisting addresses with a long history of debt write offs, and would refuse to activate service for anyone who ever lives at those address. If a new tenant moves into a blacklisted address, all frontline reps are BLOCKED from activating services at that address and need to submit the potential customers information to a special team that runs a very thorough investigation to ensure the new customer has good credit and is not related to any of the previous tenants.

So in Appy's case it might be the address, not the person, with the problem.

edit: evidentially the practice isn't limited to Comcast. Dish and Direct will do the same thing

Last edited:
What you've found makes sense.

I guess the way I took it was that the bad accounts were never at that address and never had his or his father's name on them so they were denying them simply based on family relation...which I can now understand with the way that's worded.

I guess he has a small shot if he can get past the ground level CSRs and explain his situation.

But is Comcast essentially saying he would have to clean up the relative's mess to open an account?

Last edited:
I started thinking about this and decided this is a pretty brilliant business decision on the AR side. Instead of using current employees to collect bad debts or even hiring a 3rd party to do it, make anyone who lived in the house and used the cable make the person on the account pay the bill before allowing service.

It probably started when one person would get the account started, never pay the bill, then it would get cut off. Then the wife puts it under her name, etc..... Then maybe cousin Bill, etc.... In the end, service were given an no one paid. Instead of targeting the individual they began targeting the residence and all who ever put it as their mailing address during that period of time.

They aren't doing thing illegal by saying no to a potential customer by denying them on the protected classes (race, gender, religion, etc...). They just say you lived there, you used our service, no one has paid for it so if you want your own service then you get the bill paid. Otherwise, no.

Sure, the next thing is "well, I'll get Dish/Direct/etc...". True but then the problem might start all over again. And that's if they don't run a credit check and find anything.

I kinda see why they do it. Sucks for the consumer though.

Hey, guys, BearCat said that it's not possible to be in this situation. I wish you people would quit making a liar out of him by posting accurate facts regarding Comcast.

I started thinking about this and decided this is a pretty brilliant business decision on the AR side. Instead of using current employees to collect bad debts or even hiring a 3rd party to do it, make anyone who lived in the house and used the cable make the person on the account pay the bill before allowing service.

It probably started when one person would get the account started, never pay the bill, then it would get cut off. Then the wife puts it under her name, etc..... Then maybe cousin Bill, etc.... In the end, service were given an no one paid. Instead of targeting the individual they began targeting the residence and all who ever put it as their mailing address during that period of time.

They aren't doing thing illegal by saying no to a potential customer by denying them on the protected classes (race, gender, religion, etc...). They just say you lived there, you used our service, no one has paid for it so if you want your own service then you get the bill paid. Otherwise, no.

Sure, the next thing is "well, I'll get Dish/Direct/etc...". True but then the problem might start all over again. And that's if they don't run a credit check and find anything.

I kinda see why they do it. Sucks for the consumer though.

I don't believe that the credit check the new company ran would show any delinquent account activity for other people living at the same address.

I don't believe that the credit check the new company ran would show any delinquent account activity for other people living at the same address.

Lexis nexis.

Every person, every address, it's all tied together.

Thought this would be appropriate. Earlier this month, I upgraded my comcast service to include tv instead of only internet. My biggest concern I asked the representative was about first time charges. She made it clear several times that the only charge I would see would be a $2.99 change of service fee since I am upgrading not downgrading. Said i would be charged for the package of around $92 plus tax. Ok thats fine considering I was paying $60 just for internet. Get my bill a couple of days ago, its $182. There are several random one time service fees, one being $51. Called them up amd the lady told me a supervisor would have to look at the issue and to check my bill in the next 24 hours for any credits. Its been three days and still no change. Im tired of being polite and respectful to these people. Im calling today to try and get this resolved once again and will follow up with the results. Any similar stories?

Thought this would be appropriate. Earlier this month, I upgraded my comcast service to include tv instead of only internet. My biggest concern I asked the representative was about first time charges. She made it clear several times that the only charge I would see would be a $2.99 change of service fee since I am upgrading not downgrading. Said i would be charged for the package of around $92 plus tax. Ok thats fine considering I was paying $60 just for internet. Get my bill a couple of days ago, its $182. There are several random one time service fees, one being $51. Called them up amd the lady told me a supervisor would have to look at the issue and to check my bill in the next 24 hours for any credits. Its been three days and still no change. Im tired of being polite and respectful to these people. Im calling today to try and get this resolved once again and will follow up with the results. Any similar stories?

This happened to me also. I'm going to go to the physical office and take care of it.

They charged me 30 for internet installation when I already have it. I also received a 79 installation charge for tv.

Is the OP still being "denied"? Still think there's more to the story that he's not telling. I've even seen people have a bad account and start one in their spouses name in the same locations, so I still think something off here.

Hey, guys, BearCat said that it's not possible to be in this situation. I wish you people would quit making a liar out of him by posting accurate facts regarding Comcast.

You have a misunderstanding of "accurate facts".... Don't you have a minority to harass somewhere?

Follow up: I called again today and they first tried to tell me there was nothing they could do. 30 minutes later they reviewed the tape from the original call and proceeded to apologize since I was not in fact informed of this "PRORATED" charge. In the end, they are only willing to credit my bill for $46. They simply ignored the additional fees and taxes that were increased due to them being a percent of the balance. In addition, they cant credit the current bill even though it isnt due foe another 26 days, it will have to go on the following bill. I made them email this in writing so that ill have proof when they dont credit my account next month. In conclusion, im done with their service. When football season is over, my service will be discontinued. I am sick of the random charges and pathetic customer service.

VN Store

Back