Tony Stewart ran over another driver.

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Crazy.

I'm not sure it's wise to run out on the track in the middle of a race, but still.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvaHUN6JFPc[/youtube]

I would imagine it wasn't Stewarts intent to hit him.

@passantino: Just In: Driver Kevin Ward Jr., who was hit by Tony Stewart’s car, has died, according to Ontario County Sheriff Phil Povero - @13WHAM

I've been following this on twitter. Apparently Stewart had wrecked the kid a couple laps earlier. Kid got out of his car pissed off and approached Stewart's car. Eyewitnesses said they could hear Stewart gun his engine as he got near the kid (speculation, possibly to scare him or spray him with dirt if that is what happened), and his car got away from him.

It was one lap prior. You can hear him "gun it" as he's near the other driver in the video.

@jim_utter: NEWS: Sources close to Stewart say at this time, Stewart still plans to compete in Sunday's race at Watkins Glen International.

I read that the kid's parents were in the stands watching. The whole thing is tragic.

Stupid moves on both of their parts.
The kid shouldn't have walked down into the traffic and Stewart shouldn't have gunned it. Tragic situation. The kid is dead and Stewart will be lucky to not end up in prison.

Stupid moves on both of their parts.
The kid shouldn't have walked down into the traffic and Stewart shouldn't have gunned it. Tragic situation. The kid is dead and Stewart will be lucky to not end up in prison.

I would still think it's a bad idea, but apparently it's not uncommon for people to walk on tracks during a caution.

I've seen them do this before in nascar(throwing helmets and fist) but i never seen a driver gun the car . Maybe he didn't see him , guess the in car camera will tell the story. Sad and tragic

To turn a dirt track car you do have to get into the gas. One reporter said the track was pretty dark and depending on what helmet tony was wearing he could've not seen him until coming outta the turn. If you watch the video in slowmo the car in front of Tony had to gun it to avoid hitting ward.

I still think Tony shouldn't race Tomorrow. He should be suspended pending investigation.

I'll never understand the phenomena of huffing onto a live track just to throw a hissy fit. I'll also never understand why Tony Stewart did ol' buddy like that.

/sp/ is having a field day

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 3.11.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-10 at 3.11.29 AM.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 303
I have trouble believing Stewart would do that on purpose. I think it had to be an accident. I can't imagine hitting someone with my car just because he cussed or yelled at me.

VN Store

Back