S5 or LG3

Gramps

My S3 has seen it better days. Need to upgrade this weekend. Trying to decide between the S5 and the LG3. I am leaning towards the LG.

What say ye VN?

I have an S5 and I'm very happy with it, but the new G3 looks pretty sweet and I think you can find it at a better price right now.

I ultimately stayed with my S5. I thought the screen looked better and it's waterproof-ish. I was real close to getting the G3. Unfortunately, after playing with one, it just didn't knock my socks off.

Very happy with my S5, but I have heard a lot of great things about the G3. Tough choice, perhaps you should go up to the Verizon store and test drive each of them before you purchase.

Very happy with my S5, but I have heard a lot of great things about the G3. Tough choice, perhaps you should go up to the Verizon store and test drive each of them before you purchase.

Good advice. That's what I did, and I ended up with the Motorola, which I love.

I ultimately stayed with my S5. I thought the screen looked better and it's waterproof-ish. I was real close to getting the G3. Unfortunately, after playing with one, it just didn't knock my socks off.

Same, the water resistance is a hige selling point for me.

G3 user here. It's not waterproof but the camera is awesome. Love the size but it still easily fits in the pocket.

Beside the other things already mentioned about the S5, I think the thing I've noticed the most is the battery life.

Made a quick run to Atlanta this morning. Was using phone to stream through car's AUX input probably about 80% of the time on the drive down there and on the drive back.

Left with 100%, pulled in driveway at home with 72%.

Beside the other things already mentioned about the S5, I think the thing I've noticed the most is the battery life.

Made a quick run to Atlanta this morning. Was using phone to stream through car's AUX input probably about 80% of the time on the drive down there and on the drive back.

Left with 100%, pulled in driveway at home with 72%.

The G3 actually has the better battery of the two. But if you drain either, you're pretty much trying.

I'd go for the S5 active if it were me. But I'm rocking the HTC M8 personally.

Just. No iPhones. The S4 mini has a better processor and equal camera to a 5 and its 75% cheaper on most carriers. Plus it doesn't have iOS on it.

The G3 actually has the better battery of the two. But if you drain either, you're pretty much trying.

Seriously? Geez, they've came such a long way from what battery life used to be.

I hate I waited so long to switch from my old phone.

Seriously? Geez, they've came such a long way from what battery life used to be.

I hate I waited so long to switch from my old phone.

Between the M8, the S5, and the G3 power (and ultra power saver) saver modes, if you leave them in standby, in perfect conditions, can last a few weeks.

But nobody has perfect conditions or just has their phones in standby. Realistically you could get a few days worth of calls/texts if you don't do it nonstop.

And in before apple fanboy says to get an iphone.

This iPhone guy is going Android next update, probably S5. Apple is too expensive with no expandable memory. Tiny screen and changing connectors? Way to build in obsolescence guys. Way to not get me involved in your platform.

Reactions: 1 person
Screen size will be better next go around, but not much else.

I have a number of intel engineers for customers, I've always heard LG's power management was the best in the biz, and it was finally brought to the phones with the G2. I'd imagine the G3 has outstanding battery life. My HTC One M8 is solid. The carrier does factor in here.

I'll probably do my t mobile jump upgrade soon. Leaning towards G3, but since I can effectively get a new phone every six months, why the heck not?

This iPhone guy is going Android next update, probably S5. Apple is too expensive with no expandable memory. Tiny screen and changing connectors? Way to build in obsolescence guys. Way to not get me involved in your platform.

You will be missed. Lol

I went with the S5. When I went to the Verizon store I was leaning LG3. After looking at the two phones I decided to stay with Samsung.

I thank each of you for your opinions. From you input I think I would be fine with either one, just pulled the trigger on the Samsung.

Reactions: 1 person
I went with the S5. When I went to the Verizon store I was leaning LG3. After looking at the two phones I decided to stay with Samsung.

I thank each of you for your opinions. From you input I think I would be fine with either one, just pulled the trigger on the Samsung.

Nice, i hope you like it as much as I do.

dude! I thought we was tight

Screen size will be better next go around, but not much else.

I have a number of intel engineers for customers, I've always heard LG's power management was the best in the biz, and it was finally brought to the phones with the G2. I'd imagine the G3 has outstanding battery life. My HTC One M8 is solid. The carrier does factor in here.

I'll probably do my t mobile jump upgrade soon. Leaning towards G3, but since I can effectively get a new phone every six months, why the heck not?

Milo, since you are consistently knocking the iPhone's hardware, I was wondering you make of this benchmarking tests...

AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy S 5 Review

dude! I thought we was tight

The salesman help sway me to the 5. I was leaning to the LG when I went to the store.

I am sure my wife to go the LG route, it has the better camera from what I have read.

Milo, since you are consistently knocking the iPhone's hardware, I was wondering you make of this benchmarking tests...

AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy S 5 Review

Benchmarks mean nothing to 99.99% of smartphone users. iPhone basically wins multitasking, but virtually any high level smartphone has more multitasking power than necessary for any and all mobile apps by orders of magnitude. Where it can count for a very few is graphics performance, and Qualcomm chips win that one.

There's more to hardware than raw processing capability; cameras, chassis, power supply and management, etc, and the top android offerings lap the iPhone.

I'll cede that the iPhone integrates much better for those in the apple ecosystem (I personally run apple for literally everything else, and have no issues with a droid phone in the fold). On a phone to phone basis, I find droids to be far more capable.

That said, I'm still running one of each; an HTC one m8 and an iPhone 5S, and I'll probably grab the iPhone 6 4.7. Also strongly considering swapping the HTC for the G3.

VN Store

Back