Slow computer

Vols520

Last two days my computer has been very slow.

Won't load a lot of websites or takes forever.

I ran a couple different free scans (malware bytes and adv) and it was okay for a little but now going slow again.

Any tips of what I could do to see what the issue is?

what are the specs of your system?

It's odd that malwarebytes didn't help.

You should have only one anti-virus on your computer and it shouldn't be named "McAfee" or "Norton".

what are the specs of your system?

It's odd that malwarebytes didn't help.

You should have only one anti-virus on your computer and it shouldn't be named "McAfee" or "Norton".

It's weird started working better now.

I think I just have avg free.

Everyone who has a Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 system should get this app...

GSmartcontrol - Hard Drive Testing Tool

I discovered this tool over 2 years ago, and it has saved A LOT of people's OS and data, due to the fact we discovered it on normal maintenance we conduct on their machines. I check mine once a week just to make sure there are no surprises. You would be surprised the amount of people who think their computer is infected, when it more than likely failing hardware. The average hard drive last between 3-5 years max. If you have a hard drive older than that, you are playing with fire and the potential loss of your data.

If its just the internet it could just be your connection. Mine gets slow from time to time and I have to reset it.

Everyone who has a Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8 system should get this app...

GSmartcontrol - Hard Drive Testing Tool

I discovered this tool over 2 years ago, and it has saved A LOT of people's OS and data, due to the fact we discovered it on normal maintenance we conduct on their machines. I check mine once a week just to make sure there are no surprises. You would be surprised the amount of people who think their computer is infected, when it more than likely failing hardware. The average hard drive last between 3-5 years max. If you have a hard drive older than that, you are playing with fire and the potential loss of your data.
Mine is running painfully slow lately. All applications, not just internet. I need to set down and put all my pics on a disc before it crashes completely. Thanks for the info.

Mine is running painfully slow lately. All applications, not just internet. I need to set down and put all my pics on a disc before it crashes completely. Thanks for the info.

I bought this a few years ago for back ups and all my photos. I probably have around 20,000 or so. I, also, put the pics on a disk just in case. You can get the external hard drives around $60-$70.
Amazon.com: WD My Passport 500GB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 Black (WDBKXH5000ABK-NESN): Computers & Accessories

I bought this a few years ago for back ups and all my photos. I probably have around 20,000 or so. I, also, put the pics on a disk just in case. You can get the external hard drives around $60-$70.
Amazon.com: WD My Passport 500GB Portable External Hard Drive Storage USB 3.0 Black (WDBKXH5000ABK-NESN): Computers & Accessories
Yeah, I've a lot of stuff on our external too. Those aren't completely fail proof either of course. I just need to sit down and get it backed up somewhere.

I hate Windows 7 ftr.

Get a cloud service account. Dopbox. Box and few others offers free storage. If you need extra storage it is not expensive.

Get a cloud service account. Dopbox. Box and few others offers free storage. If you need extra storage it is not expensive.

Building free Dropbox space is pretty easy. Then you could always divy stuff up across the various cloud services.

I had tons of pics on Webshots. They sold out and the new site dumped a majority of users photos. I'll never trust a 3rd party again.

I had tons of pics on Webshots. They sold out and the new site dumped a majority of users photos. I'll never trust a 3rd party again.

That is terrible. We back our photos to 3 separate cloud accounts, all free accounts. That may be an option for you. If something happens to one of the services , it is on two more, more if you choose to more. As an extra safety measure I also back up part of our data to a thumb drive.

You shouldn't either. One main turnoff for not using cloud services is the simple fact that it's time consuming and slow. It requires an internet connection to save/retrieve your data. The other is simply privacy. If you don't think those cloud services can/and do access your data you're fooling yourself. You should always back up your own data locally and for best measures make a hard copy of the stuff you can't replace. Physically burn them to a DVD or a thumb drive like Gramps mentioned.

You shouldn't either. One main turnoff for not using cloud services is the simple fact that it's time consuming and slow. It requires an internet connection to save/retrieve your data. The other is simply privacy. If you don't think those cloud services can/and do access your data you're fooling yourself. You should always back up your own data locally and for best measures make a hard copy of the stuff you can't replace. Physically burn them to a DVD or a thumb drive like Gramps mentioned.

Was coming to say this. A lot of my pictures are just random scenes/things I see as I'm travelling. Most of those aren't personal at all in nature, so I use a cloud service. I also usually use my camera for them too, and just upload them to my computer. Most of the personal pics (family/friends/myself) I upload them to my computer as well, but they get saved to a flash drive that I have tons of stuff on. And all of them are tucked away in folders on the computer itself.

It's all a matter of preference. But it's something you gotta do. I've had a lot of good memories wiped away because something dumb happened, and it's better to be prepared for it.

As for OP, like others said it could either be your connection to the internet or something in your system. There are a lot of "cleaner" programs. I don't really use much, I just periodically go through my programs and run a scan through Norton. I've never had too many issues with it.

Volly, one of the things that people are doing for home now-a-days is build a home NAS for storage. If you don't know what a NAS is, it is a network attached storage system. This type of storage allows you to store a lot of information, but store it outside of your computers environment. You can build one for less than $1,000, and you can put a ton of storage in it. One of the best things about a home NAS, is the fact that you can put more than 2 disks together to create a redundant storage system, so that way you just don't rely on one disk for your storage needs. Also, with a NAS you can link multiple computers to it, and upgrade all of your storage needs at once.

One of the things mentioned in the thread is a great idea, off-site storage. The problem with it is finding someone reliable to store it. Google Drive is a great way to store off-site and is fairly cheap.

If you implement both of those, data loss should be almost non-existent.

VN Store

Back