Knox County Air Quality

JohnMarxism

During lunch today, my gf's dad (who is a doctor) took a few more jabs at Knoxville and UT when I mentioned the season opener against Utah State. After reaffirming his belief that UT is "cold and impersonal" as a university, he then mentioned how the air quality is so poor that you notice it once you get there. From what I've researched, Knox County does not have good quality air but it is nowhere near as bad as Shelby County air. I currently live in Dyer County (which he mentioned has very good air) and I remember an article a year ago that showed how poor the air is hear because of the steel mills across the river. If you live or have lived in Knox County and/or can provide research, just how bad is the air quality?

It's pretty bad. I don't notice it though, having lived here 20+ years.

It used to be a lot worse than it is now.

I remember when air quality alert days used to be something that was fairly common during the summer. Now, it seems like you hardly ever hear about them. The air is far from pristine though.

During lunch today, my gf's dad (who is a doctor) took a few more jabs at Knoxville and UT when I mentioned the season opener against Utah State. After reaffirming his belief that UT is "cold and impersonal" as a university, he then mentioned how the air quality is so poor that you notice it once you get there. From what I've researched, Knox County does not have good quality air but it is nowhere near as bad as Shelby County air. I currently live in Dyer County (which he mentioned has very good air) and I remember an article a year ago that showed how poor the air is hear because of the steel mills across the river. If you live or have lived in Knox County and/or can provide research, just how bad is the air quality?

It depends on what you are including in the air quality. If you're also accounting for pollen then yes, it's a problem otherwise it's nothing note worthy. On certain days when the wind is blowing right which isn't very often you can smell the Viskase in Loudon. I generally don't notice this until winter time.

I think it's pretty bad. Degree of awareness might depend on age and/or current respiratory problems. About a year and a half ago, Knoxville ranked 34th out of 50 cities across the country. Knoxville ranked about 4-5 spots below Salt Lake City and I can guarantee that SLC has some very nasty air.

VN Store

Back