mattress shopping

volfanbill

pack light and love heavy…
Is such a fraud. I did the whole spiel of going into the stores and lying down on all the floor models. Actually found an upper mid level far more comfy than the really expensive ones. Did some research though and reviews on it aren't flattering, but I also noticed that reviews aren't flattering from most models. Anyone have advice?

It's also worth noting that each store gets their own unique models so the whole we'll beat anyone's pricing doesn't hold up.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Got a 12" Tempur Pedic knock off online from Sams club. Very nice at 1/4 of the cost.

We bought a king size latex from IKEA for 1/4 the price of anyone else. We love it.

Have sex on it before you buy

That's what I was thinking. Gotta know she is comfortable on her back.

We have a 2" memory foam topper that we put on top of our mattress. You can usually find them at Kohl's for around 150 when on sale. Love it.

How long have y'all had the knockoffs? Any durability issues?

2005 with no issues, my only problem is that it retains heat like a mofo, so you've got to get the bedroom cool a few hours before bed in summer or its like sleeping on coals.

I've had mine for 3 years. Very comfy and we both love it. Holding up well so far.

We just purchased a Sleep Number. I got tired of the mattresses developing a hole after a couple of years. We bought an expensive (Serta I comfort) memory foam mattress and it did the same. Theoretically the sleep number shouldn't do this.

2005 with no issues, my only problem is that it retains heat like a mofo, so you've got to get the bedroom cool a few hours before bed in summer or its like sleeping on coals.

Hmmm the heat thing is a big issue for me. I'm looking at a Spring Air model from Sleepys, but again, even though I found it the most comfortable personally, reviews aren't that good. It's a latex/foam combo and is designed to offer great support for side sleepers. How much did you spend if you don't mind me asking?

Whoa. Nice price

It was almost 10 years ago, I think what happened with memory foam is that people realized that knock offs and premiums were equivalent, which raised the market price for the generics

Bed in a box.com is in Johnson City, has queen memory foam starting at 699.00 with a 120 day risk free trial. I work with a guy that has one and loves it. They have a showroom in jc but I haven't checked it out yet.

Bed in a box.com is in Johnson City, has queen memory foam starting at 699.00 with a 120 day risk free trial. I work with a guy that has one and loves it. They have a showroom in jc but I haven't checked it out yet.

Is that the place downtown near the bus station? Not that it matters, driving 7 hours to get home for a mattress probably isn't the best idea.

Is that the place downtown near the bus station? Not that it matters, driving 7 hours to get home for a mattress probably isn't the best idea.

I thought you were in Johnson City and like me hadn't heard of this place. They have a retailer locator on their website maybe one near you?

Last edited:
We bought our California King from Sleep Train. Don't know if they have them near you but good selection and prices. We got a Stearns & Foster. My dad always told me that you spend 1/3 of you life laying on a bed so might as buy a good one

Reactions: 1 person
How long have y'all had the knockoffs? Any durability issues?

3 years into mine from Costco.

Wife and I still love it. I'd buy another one today, already got our money's worth as far as I'm concerned.

Wife did say the lack of springs took a bit of getting used to as far as the gettin' busy is concerned. More like going at it on the floor, to be honest.

EDIT: Heat issues? Took me about 3 or 4 nights to get used to it, other than that no issues.

Any heat issues with yours?

I'm comfortable sleeping in the summer. Wife complains sometimes, but she's in her 50's. Probably the "change"

If I recall it was close to 400 bux 3 years ago for a king size. It says bamboo all over the cover of the mattress if that helps.

It is 3 different densities of foam. It comes in a box about the size of a golf bag. You take out of package, lay it on bed and it expands. It takes several hrs to totally take shape.

VN Store

Back