Prayers for So and So

n_huffhines

What's it gonna cost?
Honest question...if praying for someone actually does any good, why wouldn't believers be praying for everyone in the world all the time? Wouldn't that fix the world's problems?

This probably comes across as antagonistic, but this is the way I think through everything, internally. Just my nature.

Reactions: 2 people
Honest question...if praying for someone actually does any good, why wouldn't believers be praying for everyone in the world all the time? Wouldn't that fix the world's problems?

This probably comes across as antagonistic, but this is the way I think through everything, internally. Just my nature.

There is plenty of threads for you to bash Christianity.

Reactions: 6 people
When someone asks for a prayer request on VN, there seems to be a lot of posters that will say "done" or "prayers sent". How many if these people actually pray? I'd say less than 10%.

If would never waste my time asking for prayers on a message board.

People that understand prayer also understand we may not like the answer. At least that's for me and some others. I didn't always understand, but I do now. Many times, people pray for peace for those dealing with issues and realize the outcome is already known.

Reactions: 1 person
The problem with the idea that prayer fixes all problems is that it fosters a "Santa in the sky" mentality which is surely not the nature of God.

Reactions: 5 people
If magic underwear really protects people, why do some Mormons still die

I pray but try not to think that God is some sort of claims adjuster who will automatically give what I ask. Hard to explain. Knowing others are praying for me has helped me in the past so I try and help others in similar fashion.

OK, but I don't really follow how prayer works in this regard. Say my Mom gets in a car crash and is in critical condition. God:

1 - hasn't decided what to do with my Mom and is waiting on prayers
2 - has decided what to do with my Mom, but enough prayers would change His mind
3 - has decided what to do with my Mom and praying won't affect the outcome
4 - some other explanation?

I just don't get the part where the line is drawn between something being God's will and something being the result of prayer.

If magic underwear really protects people, why do some Mormons still die

LOL. Most Mormons don't make claims that their garments protect them from harm, btw. That's fringe. Most look at it as a modesty garment that if worn, God blesses you.

I am not Mormon, btw.

I pray but try not to think that God is some sort of claims adjuster who will automatically give what I ask. Hard to explain. Knowing others are praying for me has helped me in the past so I try and help others in similar fashion.

Exactly what I was talking about. I encourage my kids to pray for things like strength and wisdom rather than specific outcomes which we probably can't understand because, as hard as it is to keep in perspective, struggles are a given here on earth and there's something much greater than what can see.

Honest answer... prayer does help (imo) in that, if nothing else, it can help lift the spirit of the person(s) being prayed for (whether they're a believer or not).

As to the rest of your question, prayer is not intended to be a "fix all" for the world's problems. If this is your understanding of prayer, then it's an inaccurate representation perhaps caused by religion itself. Prayer is intended as a way to have a dialogue with your Heavenly Father. That dialogue can, and probably should be, for many things... not just asking God to "fix things".

Reactions: 2 people
OK, but I don't really follow how prayer works in this regard. Say my Mom gets in a car crash and is in critical condition. God:

2 - has decided what to do with my Mom, but enough prayers would change His mind

I just don't get the part where the line is drawn between something being God's will and something being the result of prayer.

God puts us on this earth, and whatever happens - happens. Praying will not change the outcome.

Personally, I think prayer is meant as a means to show obedience to God and accept his will; not some sort of spiritual American Idol where prayer is a means of changing God's will.

I would pray for your mom not to be in pain. And that you and your family would find some comfort and peace in a difficult situation.

God puts us on this earth, and whatever happens - happens. Praying will not change the outcome.

But, what if prayer for was part of that process and one outcome ends up a different outcome because of prayer? The ending outcome never changed, but it was altered due to prayer?
Just thinking aloud but not sure you can say it doesn't help when it actually may be a piece to the end result at times. A part of the cycle, so to speak.

Prayer either works or it doesn't. In the end, I'd rather be safe than sorry

I think huff is a representation of a lot of people of a lot of religions. I think there are plenty of Christians that have no clue how prayer is supposed to work, and when they portray prayer as a magic wand, it turns non-Christians off even more.

Im not going to argue, but God was ready to wipe the nation of Israel off the map until Moses begged their case. "So the Lord relented concerning the disaster He said He would bring on His people. "(*Exodus‬ *32‬:*14‬ HCSB)

Last edited:
But, what if prayer for was part of that process and one outcome ends up a different outcome because of prayer? The ending outcome never changed, but it was altered due to prayer?
Just thinking aloud but not sure you can say it doesn't help when it actually may be a piece to the end result at times. A part of the cycle, so to speak.

You might be right, but I believe god put us on earth and we determine our own fate. Anything that happens after a prayer just happens. No such thing as miracles IMO, just luck.

Im not going to argue, but God was ready to wipe the nation of Israel off the map until Moses begged their case. "So the Lord relented concerning the disaster He said He would bring on His people. "(*Exodus‬ *32‬:*14‬ HCSB)

Ok. Let's say you have a sick child, you pray, but he died anyway. Did God not listen?

I think it makes both parties feel better if it's done in earnest. Not physically, but probably emotionally and/or spiritually. That's my opinion right now, anyway.

VN Store

Back