Paleo Diet! The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Milehigh_Vol

So my girlfriend (The LSU Fan if you can remember) and I are starting the Paleo Diet. So we have been reading up on all the good it does the body and the rules of the diet ( you know the tasty stuff that you cant eat anymore and the nasty stuff you can it all the time.) Well I am going threw the list most of the stuff I love to eat like BACON!! So I was like "I can live with this diet because it doesn't tell you how much you can eat." is what I told myself. So I made this list of stuff I can and can't eat while at work or on the road traveling ( I do this a lot). I called it "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. So here it is..

The Good. (stuff I can eat.)

Poultry
Turkey
Chicken breast
Pork tenderloin
Pork chops
Steak
Veal
Bacon
Pork
Ground beef
Grass-fed beef
Chicken thigh
Chicken leg
Chicken wings (yum!)
Lamb rack
Shrimp
Lobster
Salmon
Venison steaks
Buffalo
New York steak
Bison
Lamb chops
Rabbit
Goat
Elk
Bear (good luck getting this!)
Beef jerky
Eggs (duck, chicken, or goose)
Carrots
Cashews
Hazelnuts
Pecans
Pine nuts
Pumpkin seeds
Sunflower seeds
Macadamia nuts (Sadly not the cookie)
Apple
Avocado (dont like..)
Blackberries
Papaya
Peaches
Plums
Mango
Lychee ( I dont know what this is but I hear its good.)
Blueberries
Grapes
Lemon
Strawberries
Watermelon
Pineapple guava
Lime
Raspberries
Cantaloupe
Tangerine
Figs
Oranges
Bananas

The bad. (stuff I cant eat.)

Butter
Cheese
Cottage cheese
Non-fat dairy creamer
Skim milk
2% milk
Whole milk (sometimes)
Dairy spreads
Cream cheese
Powdered milk
Yogurt
Pudding
Frozen yogurt
Ice milk
Low fat milk
Ice cream
Soft drinks
Apple juice
Orange juice
Grape juice
Strawberry juice
Chinola juice
Starfruit juice
Mango juice
Cereals
Bread
English muffin
Toast
Sandwiches
Triscuits
Wheat thins
Crackers
Oatmeal
Cream of wheat
Corn
Corn syrup
High-fructose corn syrup
Wheat
Pancakes
Hash browns
Beer (and the world mourned)
Pasta
Fettuchini
Lasagna
All beans (listed below)
Black beans
Broad beans
Fava beans
Garbanzo beans
Horse beans
Kidney beans
Lima beans
Mung beans
Adzuki beans
Navy beans
Pinto beans
Red beans
Green beans
String beans
White beans
Peas (listed below)
Black-eyed peas (and, yes, you should also avoid the band)
Chickpeas
Snowpeas
Sugar snap peas
Peanuts
Peanut butter
Miso
Lentils
Lupins
Mesquite
Soybeans
All soybean products and derivatives
Tofu
sweeteners
Spam
Hot dogs
French fries
Pretzels
Chips
Triscuits
Wheat thins
Cookies
Sun chips
Pastries
Potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Yucca
Batat
Butternut squash
Acorn squash
Yam
Beets
Energy Drinks (These are not good for you and are definitely not paleo. Stay far, far away.)

The Ugly (The most hated part)

Alcohol

Unfortunately, almost all alcohol is not paleo. Yes, this includes, but isn’t limited to:
Beer
Whiskey
Tequila
Rum
Vodka
Alcohol and mixers
Candy bars
Snickers
Snickers Peanut Butter
100 Grand
Butterfinger
Milky Way
Reese’s (NOOOO!)
Payday
M&Ms
Skittles
Red Vines
Twizzlers
Hershey’s
Nestle Crunch
Almond Joy
Mounds
Reese’s Fast Break
Reeses’s Pieces
Twix
Twix Peanut Butter
Sugars
Honey (sometimes allowed in moderation)

I don't know if I can live without Beer......

Anything I have missed let me know.:cray:

There are different varieties and takes people have on this lifestyle. If you are into podcasts Robb Wolf has a good one. If you follow it strictly you will cut weight fast, but your energy levels may be down for a few weeks as your body becomes fat adapted vs glycogen dependent.

There are calorie less tasteless noodles called sharaki noodles I would recommend for times when you have bad cravings. Also, I would not recommend a cheat day if you are strict on this diet. You will blow up the nearest bathroom with a gluten exposure after you do not eat it for several weeks. If you have any other questions let me know

What about smoked pork? I am worried about the rub they put on it.

Last edited:
Depends on your goals. If you are just looking to lose weight that's fine. I would concentrate more on types of food than calories for the first couple of weeks although you should strive for some caloric deficit. However grass fed beef or free range chicken would be a better choice overall. I et 8-10 eggs a day and those can be a good choice if you like them. I will say when I first started I didn't realize how mic sugar I was eating in things like barbecue sauce just something to watch out for.

Last edited:
Eat what you want, walk 30 minutes per day with a 5 minute cool-down walk. You WILL lose weight.

Eat clean. Exercise. You'll lose weight, not be energy deficient, and your body will not explode a toilet.

Paleo diet is kind of stupid, IMO. Why remove alcohol from your diet if you just eat better and exercise to begin with?

Reactions: 1 person
Eat clean. Exercise. You'll lose weight, not be energy deficient, and your body will not explode a toilet.

Paleo diet is kind of stupid, IMO. Why remove alcohol from your diet if you just eat better and exercise to begin with?

An eating plan based on evolutionary biology where we eat what we were designed to is stupid?

Also it's not necessarily alcohol as much as beer or other drinks containing wheat

Your list represents a pretty strict definition. You got the right idea, don't get lost on dogma. Bulletproofexec.com has a good modification.

An eating plan based on evolutionary biology where we eat what we were designed to is stupid?

Also it's not necessarily alcohol as much as beer or other drinks containing wheat

If that's the case, why are tubers and legumes on the "bad" list?

Honey is also naturally occurring, why is it on the "bad" list?

When I wanted to lose weight, I ate less and exercised more. No gimmicks.

When I ate, I stopped at firsts...no seconds. That's it. Didn't change the diet, just ate less of it.
I ran (which I hated and don't do anymore because it's incredibly boring), played basketball, tennis and started walking the golf course instead of riding the cart.

I never, ever, ever ate anything after dinner.

I lost 50lbs in about 3 months.

When I wanted to lose weight, I ate less and exercised more. No gimmicks.

When I ate, I stopped at firsts...no seconds. That's it. Didn't change the diet, just ate less of it.
I ran (which I hated and don't do anymore because it's incredibly boring), played basketball, tennis and started walking the golf course instead of riding the cart.

I never, ever, ever ate anything after dinner.

I lost 50lbs in about 3 months.

Damn son

If that's the case, why are tubers and legumes on the "bad" list?

Honey is also naturally occurring, why is it on the "bad" list?

Bad is subjective as I said earlier. There are many anti nutrients in grains and legumes and while you are healing the gut lining it's best to pull those things out. After it is healed you can gradually re introduce those foods to see how your body responds.

Honey I don't see an issue with as long as you aren't drinking it. Any liquid sugar is going to spike your blood glucose which is the opposite of what we want. Coffee and green tea isn't technically Paleo either, but I still recommend it. The idea isn't to mimicking a caveman, but rather to use evolutionary biology as a guide in making our eating plan

Done paleo, and had good cutting results, but I lost gym gains. and the diet sucks. I'll do it for a week before I go to the lake, or something, and it works like crazy. It's really hard to do for more than a couple weeks. It's not good to maintain, IMO.

With all the diets I've tried, the best advice I can give anyone for dieting is to just make rules. Most diets work simply because you make rules for yourself and keep them. If soda is your vice, and you give it up, you are less likely to eat other junk food. You didn't give up soda just so you can stay fat on potato chips, so you eat the chips in moderation.

Done paleo, and had good cutting results, but I lost gym gains. and the diet sucks. I'll do it for a week before I go to the lake, or something, and it works like crazy. It's really hard to do for more than a couple weeks. It's not good to maintain, IMO.

With all the diets I've tried, the best advice I can give anyone for dieting is to just make rules. Most diets work simply because you make rules for yourself and keep them. If soda is your vice, and you give it up, you are less likely to eat other junk food. You didn't give up soda just so you can stay fat on potato chips, so you eat the chips in moderation.

Why is it not good to maintain IYO?

I am already in good shape. I am "fit" so I am told. I am doing the diet for the health to be honest. "Diet" doesn't mean to lose weight. Thank you all for the input. I am trying to stay with the free range chicken and grass fed cows. The meat is a lot more. Maybe I need some food stamps to offset the cost... Lol

Why is it not good to maintain IYO?

It might be just me, but I couldn't find the right balance of protein in my diet. I felt like it was too hard on my body to digest that much protein. I think I could have been better about my greens, but my workouts weren't as energized and recovery wasn't as good without the carbs. So I was losing muscle mass....it made me look bigger, cause it shredded me so much, but then it got to the point where you start to lose too much muscle.

It might be just me, but I couldn't find the right balance of protein in my diet. I felt like it was too hard on my body to digest that much protein. I think I could have been better about my greens, but my workouts weren't as energized and recovery wasn't as good without the carbs. So I was losing muscle mass....it made me look bigger, cause it shredded me so much, but then it got to the point where you start to lose too much muscle.

That's understandable. A majority from my calories actually came from fat, then protein, then carbs. Once a week or so I would do a really tough glycogen demanding workout and eat a sweet potato afterward and that seemed to help

VN Store

Back