best deal on a quality 50-55 inch television?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Whatcha got? I'd like to pick one up this week to replace an old Sony Wega which is on its last legs. It's not my main television so I'm not necessarily looking for the best, but hoping to get the most bang for my buck.

Vizio is okay. Samsung is the highest quality in my opinion. But Vizio gives you the most bang for your buck

Reactions: 1 person
I know everyone has their favorite brand. I have not researched them recently but I look at them often on a casual basis. To me, if you are a member of Costco, they always have great prices, and Vizio is very competitive. I have had a Vizio for 6 years now (wedding gift from wife) and haven't had issues. Costco's return policy is superb, and the 55" ones are probably more than half from what we paid. Good luck and happy shopping!

Whatcha got? I'd like to pick one up this week to replace an old Sony Wega which is on its last legs. It's not my main television so I'm not necessarily looking for the best, but hoping to get the most bang for my buck.

8240051_sa.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Samsung 51" Plasma 720P $379.99 on sale at Best Buy.

if I'm getting a 51", why would I get 720p and not 1080?

Not being an a**. Just want to know if there is a valid reason besides the price

I'll bet most people can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 even on a screen that big.

This.

I'll bet most people can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080 even on a screen that big.

And this.

if I'm getting a 51", why would I get 720p and not 1080?

Not being an a**. Just want to know if there is a valid reason besides the price

And this.

Is anything even broadcast in 1080p? I think Directv is 1080i which is basically the same as 720p.

For the price, I've had good luck with BestBuy Insignia's line.

Nice price. I'm actually a fan of plasma. I've had a couple Panasonic models and really enjoyed them.

I have this model, or at least a similar model that is a couple years older. Same specs otherwise. No apps, only 2 HDMI ports, but it's been an excellent TV for us. I got mine from Walmart, but I felt it had a better picture than most any of the other TVs on display at the time. I did have to be considerate of the potential for burn-in during the first few months. One of the first things I watched on it was Signing Day 2012 so that evening when I turned the channel from ESPNU, I was like "uh oh" but it was gone within an hour, at most. Past that, no problems.

I've heard plasma have gotten a lot better

Plasma sets are terrific and have arguably the best picture. But, it's a dying technology as 4K technology takes over. One example: this is Samsung's last year making their plasmas. Lower demand and too expensive to make plasmas at 4K resolution.

Still not a bad idea to buy today. You'll still get 15-20+ years out of it if all goes well. And the picture will be beautiful. Prices will continue to come down as they are phased out.

Last edited:
Plasma sets are terrific and have arguably the best picture. But, it's a dying technology as 4K technology takes over. One example: this is Samsung's last year making their plasmas. Lower demand and too expensive to make plasmas at 4K resolution.

Still not a bad idea to buy today. You'll still get 15-20+ years out of it if all goes well. And the picture will be beautiful. Prices will continue to come down as they are phased out.

Don't forget all this 120-240k refresh rate. Plasma is 600k.

Plasma picture is great for sports.

I wanted to get the nicest TV that I could for the budget I had which was roughly $700 at the time. After tons of research and asking questions my best option was the Panasonic TC-P42S1, a 42" plasma. I was impressed with it several years ago when I finally bought it and still am. I've only got two complaints about this particular tv and that's that it produces a lot of heat. I've got it in my bedroom which is something like 12'x12'(I know, that's a huge tv for a bedroom but I love it). If I have the door shut after a few hours of watching my bedroom will be a good 3 degrees warmer than the outside hallway, the thing is heater. My second and last complaint is that when the power goes out it loses my custom picture settings. Other than that it's a beautiful tv.

You do want to get a 1080i, and also you want at least 120HZ LED especially if you watch blue ray movies. Panasonic and Samsung are the two best pictures and most reliable brands. I have one of each. The Samsung is a little sharper contrast and the Panasonic is a warmer tone. Samsung better for sport events and Panasonic better for blue ray movies in my opinion.

The problem with a plasma is you lose picture quality over time and much quicker than an LED.

Plasma pros: Most vivid colors, fastest motion, best viewing angles, deep blacks
Plasma cons: (historically, but not as true anymore) more power, more heat, thicker design, shorter life, washed out picture with sun shining.

LCD/LED pros: thinnest designs, good motion, power efficient, long life
LCD/LED cons: poor viewing angles, okay color, uneven back lighting.

Last edited:

Not sure if I believe that. I noticed a definite difference between 720 and 1080 when I upgraded.

I absolultely love plasmas, they are normally cheaper and I actually prefer the picture quality over LCD and LED.

VN Store

Back