Please help me out. Was talking with someone about a student in the late 70s or early 80s that was either beaten to death or shot to death. Either way, murdered. It's never been solved. If I remember correctly.....a particular former football player was either a strong suspect or questioned regarding the crime.

Please name that former player I'm not remembering and the year.....

Was it john Rollins?

I believe so. What were the circumstances of the crime? Wasn't it a shooting? Or was it a beating? When was it?

I don't recall the details. He was connected but there was no hard evidence against him. I believe one of the news networks did a feature story in the 80's on the subject.

If I remember correctly I saw it on Unsolved Mysteries with Robert Stack. Scared the **** outa me when I was young.....

I do know Don Cornelius had his certain former player on Soul Train but I promised not to leak much info as it might jeopardize the case. This same player/pimp saw Gruden at a mall in West Town and asked JG..."Are going to coach our team?" JG said....once you own up and give up that disco Soul Train craziness and come clean....I'll coach the Vols.
....sorry, couldn't resist...

Reactions: 1 person
Except that this really happened and a student was murdered in a senseless crime and it's never been solved....that's all....just wondering.

Guess it's all just a joke to some.....un ****ing believable.....

Wasn't Amsler involved in a stabbing somehow? Don't remember if the victim died or not, but I remember the story. He was cleared, btw.

Reactions: Boca Vol
My older sister was a student at UT at the time (August 1988). I don't remember what the UT football player (John Rollins) had to do with the crime but it was Jeffrey Underwood (not a student) that entered a frat house uninvited while drunk and stabbed Tommy Baer (frat brother) to death...I don't remember which frat it was but Underwood was paroled back in the 90's and it created a firestorm in the local media.

I don't know if we are taking about same event but unsolved mysteries was not involved but guy I know was beaten up at frat party cause he wasn't associated with fraternity. Baer and other frat guys beat him up with a bat. He tried getting a group including Rollins to go back with him to fight them no wanted to go so he went back stabbed Baer in the chest killed him. Rollins was friend of suspect too and while at police station Rollins stole murder weapon. Individual did 15 yrs. No mystery.

Don't remember the Amsler situation. This was many years before Amsler was at UT. What year was the Rollins incident? That's what it has to be...

why? It was at least 30 years ago probably 35

It was August 21,1988 and if the Pikes shenanigans two years ago weren't enough to scare parents then I think we're okay...and if you really want to be creeped out and aren't familiar with the Gainesville murders at UF in August of 1990: Google Danny Rolling (aka the Gainesville Ripper). Now that was some gruesome stuff.

I could have sworn that it was the late 70's or very early 80'seither way it was very many moons ago. Thanks for the feedback I was curious

I hope the recruits and their parents aren't reading this!!!

If that bothers them, I hope that they don't read about a truck driver named Willett, who shot and killed a U.T. student on Cumberland Ave, near the front of "The Hill" in 1965, because students were throwing snowballs at the truck driver.

My older sister was a student at UT at the time (August 1988). I don't remember what the UT football player (John Rollins) had to do with the crime but it was Jeffrey Underwood (not a student) that entered a frat house uninvited while drunk and stabbed Tommy Baer (frat brother) to death...I don't remember which frat it was but Underwood was paroled back in the 90's and it created a firestorm in the local media.

You're right on the names but I'm not sure about the facts.

If that bothers them, I hope that they don't read about a truck driver named Willett, who shot and killed a U.T. student on Cumberland Ave, near the front of "The Hill" in 1965, because students were throwing snowballs at the truck driver.

I remember hearing that story when I was at UT in the late 70s & early 80s. That's why UT would not close school or cancel classes due to snow for years and years!

Please help me out. Was talking with someone about a student in the late 70s or early 80s that was either beaten to death or shot to death. Either way, murdered. It's never been solved. If I remember correctly.....a particular former football player was either a strong suspect or questioned regarding the crime.

Please name that former player I'm not remembering and the year.....

in 1969, a Tennessee swimmer named Ed Collins was found in a roadside ditch outside of Denton, Texas, shot to death. He was a sophomore who was hitchhiking to Las Vegas to see his father.

VN Store

Back