Justice for Levi.

rocktopper16

Don’t mind me, I’m just here for the meltdown.
My baby cousin died on June 1st 2014. His
Mother Amanda Beaty stated he chocked on a cookie. And now the TBI are calling it a homicide. The mother just got custody back of the child and the boyfriend, who abused him before was on a no contact order, but he was there at the time of the death. I'm gonna post some things on here and see what you guys have to say on this. It happened it Morgan county, TN

Sheriff says DA’s claims are political move

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation is leading the investigation into the death of 17-month-old Levi Beaty, who died on June 1.

The move reportedly comes after Ninth Judicial District Attorney Russell Johnson released a letter detailing several reported missteps by the Morgan County Sheriff’s Office.

The sheriff’s office says the letter’s release is strictly political in nature and contains several inaccuracies.

In a June 10 letter to TBI Director Mark Gwyn, Johnson wrote the sheriff’s office had prior knowledge that the Department of Children’s Services had been at the home before, yet did nothing to “preserve the scene,” the letter said.

The sheriff’s office also failed to notify the DA of the suspicious death and Sheriff Glen Freytag reportedly told Johnson on June 2 that Investigator Esau Hamby was tied up and couldn’t return to the scene.

That isn’t so, said Sheriff Glen Freytag on Tuesday morning.

“We didn’t have any idea any of this other was going on,” Freytag said. “It would have helped us a lot.”

Freytag and Chief Deputy Steve Cochran say there was no crime scene to preserve the night EMS and Deputy. Trevor Shadden responded to the call about a choking child because the baby had no obvious traumatic injuries.

“Nothing was compromised,” Cochran said. “We didn’t do anything wrong.”

The letter also claims that the sheriff’s office had to be sent back to the scene the next day.

“Dr. Bennett (the medical examiner) informed me (Russell Johnson) that he had requested of Morgan County Sheriff Glen Freytag to go back out to the scene and conduct an investigation,” Johnson wrote.

That didn’t happen either, Cochran and Freytag maintained.

“We’re not gonna do anything to jeopardize that case,” Cochran said.

Johnson has hurt the investigation by releasing the letter, Cochran said.

“All we want is justice for Levi and all the DA wants to do is hurt the case,” according to Cochran. “The DA should be ashamed of himself.”

TBI spokesman Josh Devine said it was too early to tell if any alleged misdeeds by the sheriff’s office have compromised the case.

Not even a month

DCS placed Beaty in the care of his maternal grandparents last November after he reportedly suffered several “grievous injuries including among other things a splintered spine,” Johnson wrote. Beaty, who was born Jan. 11, 2013, was approximately 10 months old when his mother, Amanda Beaty, lost custody of him.

Amanda underwent a polygraph examination as authorities attempted to identify Levi’s abuser. She passed the exam, Russell wrote. Her boyfriend, Roger Dale Prince, was unable to complete the polygraph because of his weight. Authorities suspected Prince and another juvenile of causing Levi’s injuries, the letter said.

There was a no-contact order between Prince and Levi at the request of DCS.

Because Amanda passed the polygraph, DCS sought and received approval to return Levi to her care on May 7 the letter said.

He died 25 days later.

Police were called to an apartment at 320 Longview Drive in Wartburg on the evening of June 1. At the scene, Prince allegedly told police that Levi was choking on a cookie.

The child was gray in color and there were no signs of a cookie or any crumbs near him, according to a police report.

Levi was pronounced dead at Methodist Medical Center at 8:39 p.m. on June 1.

An autopsy from the next day revealed that the baby had suffered multiple blunt force injuries, both recent and healing.

He had bruising on his face and head, according to the provisional autopsy report. His lips were cut and some of his teeth were broken. He had a broken spinal cord, as well as broken bones in his arms and legs, that was in the process of healing. The child’s right shoulder muscle, the deltoid, had a severe hemorrhage. The fatal injury was the transection (rupture) of the aorta, the major artery that supplies blood to the rest of the body. Transection of the aorta is almost always a fatal injury.

Calls to DCS were not returned as of press time.

An arrest has not yet been made.

See a copy of the letter between Russell Johnson and the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation by clicking here.

Amanda the mother, states all these reports are false. I am trying to make this to national news. The mothers boyfriend has seeveral ties to the Morgan county mayor and such. All I want is justice to be done.

Levi was sick, says mom 07/08/2014 4:16 PM
The mother of a dead Wartburg toddler says she and her boyfriend are being wrongly accused of the abuse and ultimate death of 17-month-old Levi Beaty.

Beaty was pronounced dead on June 1 after he was rushed to Methodist Medical Center of Oak Ridge. Initial calls to 911 reported the child to be choking on a cookie. Police reports from the scene noted there were no cookies in the child’s mouth.

His mother, Amanda Beaty, said she told dispatchers Levi was choking on a cookie because that was the last thing he was doing before he collapsed.

“He was eating a little vanilla wafers,” she said in a July 2 interview.

Amanda Beaty said she was sitting on the couch with Levi on June 1 and then went to the kitchen to get the child some strawberries. When she turned around, Levi had slumped over. She assumed he was choking on a cookie and yelled for help. A neighbor responded, as did her boyfriend, Rodger Prince, she said.

“Rodger…had just pulled up because they were gone all day in Knoxville,” she said.

According to a June 10 letter from 9th Judicial District Attorney Russell Johnson to the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, there was a no-contact order between Prince and Levi.

It was Prince and a neighbor who remove cookie pieces from Levi’s mouth, Beaty said last week.

“I have nothing to hide and nothing to lie about. The truth is the truth,” she said.

Levi’s death and alleged mishandling of the case by the Morgan County Sheriff’s Department brought a 7-month Department of Children’s Services investigation to light.

“Grevious injuries”

Levi was placed into his maternal grandparents’ custody last November, according to Johnson. The child was allegedly suffering from several “grievous injuries including, among other things, a splintered spine.”

That simply isn’t true, Beaty said. Her children weren’t removed from her custody until this past spring, though DCS did begin investigating last fall.

She said she grew concerned with Levi’s spine last September when she noticed a lump on the then 9-month-old’s back.

“I reported that back in September that a knot went on his back,” she said. “That was never an injury.”

In November 2013, Levi was taken to the doctor with a broken collarbone. He had been in his playpen when his 6-year-old sister tried to get him out and dropped him on accident, Beaty said.

“[DCS] got involved about his collarbone because I told them I wasn’t in the room whenever my daughter dropped him,” she said.

She believes Levi had brittle bones because there were also breaks in his legs that were vertical, instead of horizontal in nature.

“He did have broken bones,” she acknowledged “That’s why we were looking into brittle bones.”

Brittle Bone Disease, formally known as osteogenesis imperfecta, is a rare type of osteoporosis that makes bones susceptible to breaks for seemingly no reason. People with OI are born with a genetic mutation that affects the strength and structure of the bones. OI and child abuse can be mistaken for one another, though genetic testing should indicate whether or not a child is suffering from the disease, according to Osteogenesis Imperfecta Foundation | OIF.org

At the time of his death, Levi had suffered multiple blunt force injuries — recent and healing — according to the preliminary autopsy report.

He had bruising on his face and head, according to the provisional autopsy report. His lips were cut and some of his teeth were broken. He had a broken spinal cord — as well as broken bones in his arms and legs — that was in the process of healing.

The child’s right shoulder muscle, the deltoid, had a severe hemorrhage. The fatal injury was the transection (rupture) of the aorta, the major artery that supplies blood to the rest of the body.

Aortic rupture, often seen in car accidents with unbuckled occupants or from long falls, is almost always fatal.

The bruising on Levi’s head came from a fall with the babysitter, Amanda said. His teeth were cracked when emergency personnel put a breathing tube in his through.

She believes his aorta ruptured from CPR.

“His aorta could have been ruptured whenever they did CPR and that will be determined when the autopsy is finished,” she said.

“Levi was sick.”

All three of the Beaty children were sickly, according to their mother.

“My kids have not always been these healthy kids that normal kids have been,” Beaty said.

A hematologist was seeing Levi and his brother for an unspecified blood disorder, their mother said.

“They said it was all abuse and the hematologist wouldn’t see them anymore,” she said.

The illness involved “something about his white blood cells sticking together,” according to Beaty.

Beaty says her ex husband, Wesley Beaty, is not the biological father of her children — that her boys had one father and her daughter had another father.

“DCS is trying to say [Wesley Beaty is the father], but he’s not. He’s not any of my three children’s father. I was just married to the man,” she said.

She says her sons’ blood disorder is genetic, passed on by their biological father.

“I’ve even tried to contact their actual biological father and ask him, and he mentions to me that his mother has some blood stuff going on,” Beaty said.

In March, before she says she actually lost custody of the children, Levi was in the hospital with a Strep B infection and required a blood transfusion.

“We stayed at the hospital for two weeks,” she said. “He’s had pneumonia and a sinus infection probably since he was born.”

Her daughter doesn’t have issues with her blood, but suffers from asthma and had pneumonia as a baby. Illness caused her to miss half of preschool, Beaty said.

Beaty believes the final autopsy report will clear her name.

“Dr. Bennett (the coroner) is looking into Levi’s medical history,” she said.

A final autopsy report could take another 60 days before completion.

Remembering Levi

While a Facebook group, Justice for Baby Levi, has almost 3,000 members who post updates daily, Beaty says she is remembering Levi on her own.

“Levi was very spoiled by his siblings,” she said.

After Levi’s death, her other two children were removed from the home and placed into temporary custody.

“They didn’t get to go to their brother’s funeral,” she said. “It was a tragedy for all of us.”

His funeral was June 5 at Zeigler Funeral Home in Athens. The grave at a Meigs County cemetery was reportedly hand-dug by Amanda Beaty’s father.

Levi loved music and loved to dance, she said. His favorite song was Happy by Pharrell Williams.

“I played that song at his funeral,” she explained.

She says she leaves the hall light on at her home for Levi, because he was afraid of the dark. She says she has photos and videos of a happy child.

“People don’t think that I remember my son or that I’m crying, and it’s devastating,” she said. “I go sit with my son every weekend.”

Though DCS believed Prince was responsible for causing Levi’s injuries last fall, Amanda Beaty paints a drastically different picture.

“Levi was the son Rodger never biologically had,” she said.

Prince helped her get on her feet after she separated from Wesley Beaty last year, she said. He reportedly paid for Levi’s burial expenses.

“People need to know the true story of what happened,” she said.

Meanwhile, members of the Facebook group — which Amanda Beaty is not part of — are planning candlelight vigils in both Cleveland and Wartburg. Some businesses around town have posted blue ribbons, and many people have tied blue ribbons to their porch lights and leave them on all night to honor the toddler. People as far as Kansas and California have reportedly left their porch lights on overnight.

The social media campaign also includes writing letters to state legislators such as Sen. Ken Yager, Rep. John Mark Windle and even Gov. Bill Haslam. Group members have reportedly contacted TV personality Nancy Grace and other national news outlets.

Beaty says she will attend the Wartburg vigil.

“I’m going to the one in Wartburg and I hope the news and everybody else is there as well. I have a right to be there,” she said. “I know everybody’s not going to like me there, but that’s my son as well.”

The TBI continues to investigate the case surrounding Levi’s death. No arrests have been made, though it is believed the DA will present evidence to a grand jury in September. Suspects indicted in September would then be arrested and arraigned during the October session of Morgan County Criminal Court.

Share Story

I know those are long post, But I want everyone to know both sides of the story and see how I feel. In the videos she did for the news. She didn't cry or show any remorse. It's a shame of what happened to my cousin..

I know those are long post, But I want everyone to know both sides of the story and see how I feel. In the videos she did for the news. She didn't cry or show any remorse. It's a shame of what happened to my cousin..

So you think the mother did something or not? Is she your cousin or the boyfriend?

I think I work with half of Morgan County.

To hear most of them tell it, something is way off and it was no accident...but that's also a lot of the normal small town gossip.

After reading through that prelim. autopsy, I'm starting to agree.

Perhaps one of the medical types on the board could chime in.

Some of the injuries can be explained by resuscitation efforts, however some cannot. The autopsy notes multiple subgaleal hemorrhages. What is her explanation for these bilateral injuries to his head, along with the shoulder injury? Who performed the CPR and how? Who placed the ET tube as they would know if they fractured the teeth.

Having seen cases very similar to this one Im calling BS. 99.9% time its the boyfriend. Makes me sick to my stomach every time.

Last edited:
So you think the mother did something or not? Is she your cousin or the boyfriend?

She's my cousin. But I don't claim them as they are all addicted to pills and would do anything to have them.

I think Roger, The boyfriend did it. He was the one who abused the child the first go around. But for her, To keep lying tells me she's hiding something. I know the innocent until proven guilty rule applies but this is a horrible thing to happen to a 17 month old.

Side not, I just worked 16 hours and have a nagging headache I hope I was clear with y answers.

I think I work with half of Morgan County.

To hear most of them tell it, something is way off and it was no accident...but that's also a lot of the normal small town gossip.

After reading through that prelim. autopsy, I'm starting to agree.

Perhaps one of the medical types on the board could chime in.

She said he was chocking on a cookie/cracker, Yet first responders didn't find anything in the child's mouth including crumbs in the teeth to resemble a cookie or cracker had been ate. I am torn.

She's my cousin. But I don't claim them as they are all addicted to pills and would do anything to have them.

I think Roger, The boyfriend did it. He was the one who abused the child the first go around. But for her, To keep lying tells me she's hiding something. I know the innocent until proven guilty rule applies but this is a horrible thing to happen to a 17 month old.

Side not, I just worked 16 hours and have a nagging headache I hope I was clear with y answers.

The whole thing sounds fishery to me. Its a sad tale.

Whatever you guys do at night can you please say a prayer for Levi and that justice will be served.. Thanks Vol family.

Reactions: 1 person
I saw on the need where she first stated that Roger had just arrived when Levi started "choking".

THEN she changed her story to say that Roger was babysitting while she ran to the store.

Sounds like to me, she's going to use her second story to pin it completely on Roger if the police find out the truth.

God rest Levi's soul. We live in a very sick world.

If he choked on a cookie, shouldn't it have been stuck in his throat? But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

VN Store

Back