The growth of Wal-Mart

Rocky_Top_Vol13

xizYxLq.gif

It is amazing how fast this store took over America.

I'm more concerned about the growth of government.

That said, Wal Mart isn't as good a company today as it was when Sam Walton was still running it.

Reactions: 2 people
Based on that map, I think Walmart has the eastern time zone covered.

I'm more concerned about the growth of government.

That said, Wal Mart isn't as good a company today as it was when Sam Walton was still running it.

Nope. He was a great man. I could tell you some stories.

Higher prices too, plus they aren't open 24 hours.

I tend to shop local, so I don't really care about the higher prices. I'm quite anti-Walmart after a bunch of my favorite stores were put out of business once Walmart moved in.

Reactions: 3 people
I tend to shop local, so I don't really care about the higher prices. I'm quite anti-Walmart after a bunch of my favorite stores were put out of business once Walmart moved in.

how is that the fault of Wal Mart? Isn't more the fault of your neighbors who decided they would rather shop at Wal Mart?

how is that the fault of Wal Mart? Isn't more the fault of your neighbors who decided they would rather shop at Wal Mart?

Walmart's philosophy is undercut everyone else even if it means cutting margins to near cost. Thereby making it near impossible for independent bussiness owners to compete and driving them out of business. Its hard to blame the consumer for wanting to save money.

Once their power grew they then leveraged it against suppliers forcing them to lower prices as well just so they can get their products in the store. They are ruthless as hell.

Amazon is doing the same thing now.

Walmart's philosophy is undercut everyone else even if it means cutting margins to near cost. Thereby making it near impossible for independent bussiness owners to compete and driving them out of business. Its hard to blame the consumer for wanting to save money.

Once their power grew they then leveraged it against suppliers forcing them to lower prices as well just so they can get their products in the store. They are ruthless as hell.

Amazon is doing the same thing now.

Simplified, yes. I experience this right now working for a local bike shop. "Why do your bikes cost 3-4 times as much as one from Walmart?" Simply put, quality. Everything at Walmart is like that. Target, too, but I think their clothing lines are better quality - and I really like their socks which is about the only thing I buy from Target.

The very first time I got pissed at Walmart was when they decided to leave one location and build another building less than half a mile away - while their previous location STILL sits empty over 10 years later.

I don't really like Wal-Mart, but most of the Wal-Mart hate is unwarranted. I don't like them because they get a lot of government subsidies, but who would hate on them for offering low cost alternatives to the poor? Wealthy people...that's who.

I don't really like Wal-Mart, but most of the Wal-Mart hate is unwarranted. I don't like them because they get a lot of government subsidies, but who would hate on them for offering low cost alternatives to the poor? Wealthy people...that's who.

I don't hate on them for offering low prices. It's the strong arm tactics they use to achieve those low prices that creates an uneven playing field for small businesses. Leveraging their power for gov subsidies is just one of those tactics (but shame on the elected officials for allowing it to happen).

VN Store

Back