What's the best Tennessee made breakfast sausage?

Orangedogsrule

PULEEZE LET SMOKEY WIN!!!
Mmmmmmm! I love me some hot, crispy fried sausage patties with over-easy eggs, dry toast with cherry preserves, pancakes with maple syrup, and grits for breakfast. Sometimes, cathead biscuits & sausage gravy or with cold farm churned butter stirred into Sand Mountain Sorgum.

Just got told in the football forum Tennessee Pride sold out to ConAgra. So...

What's the best hot (spicy) Tennessee made sausage out there now? Anyone got good recipes?

Wampler's (Lenoir City) and Swaggerty's (Kodak) are still located in Tennessee to my knowledge.

I get Swaggerty's. It just taste like I remember sausage tasting when I was growing up in the country a long time ago.

My neighbor buds family would slaughter hogs every year after the first hard freeze. I'd go over and crank that sausage grinder till my arm dropped off. (why i'm a one armed paper hanger now) ..My buds mom made the best sausage ever. Light on the sage but heavy on lots of hot. Why I love good country sausage now.

My neighbor buds family would slaughter hogs every year after the first hard freeze. I'd go over and crank that sausage grinder till my arm dropped off. (why i'm a one armed paper hanger now) ..My buds mom made the best sausage ever. Light on the sage but heavy on lots of hot. Why I love good country sausage now.

My family would do the same. It was a big occasion that included us, two aunts and uncles, plus a dozen cousins. They'd spend all day cutting hams to put in the smoke house, grinding sausage and making cracklin's.

My family would do the same. It was a big occasion that included us, two aunts and uncles, plus a dozen cousins. They'd spend all day cutting hams to put in the smoke house, grinding sausage and making cracklin's.

nothin hardly left but the hair they boiled off and a few bones. she made head cheese with the brains and pickled the feet.

Reactions: Slydell
They probably did that, too. Too far back in my memory banks. I remember the chill in the air and the huge black kettles boiling over the wood fire. Everyone was working fast and the kids were busy playing and staying out of the way.

Reactions: 1 person
I've always liked Swaggerty's. Unforunately I've lived most of my life in places that doesn't sell it.

It's almost suppertime and I'm ready for breakfast again.

Anybody got a good recipe for making their own sausage they're willing to share?

Reactions: StarRaider
Tennessee Pride is (was) my favorite too.
I would say Wamplers or Swaggertys would be the replacement. I don't eat much sausage, but I do like it spicy too.
Maybe try Old Folks . They're all pretty local.

Reactions: 1 person
Is it a butcher shop or what? I'm going to be in Nashville quite a bit a will try it out if you remember the name.

Its a farmer's butcher shop. I don't know the name. But they start selling meat around 5:30 or 6:00 in the mornings between like Thanksgiving and spring. If you get there early enough, there will be huge lines and they will be cooking some sausage and biscuits while you wait. Little Lot isn't that big of a place, you can just follow the line of cars around 6:00, it won't be hard to miss.

VN Store

Back