GM Recalls another 8.45 Million cars - death toll rises to 16

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
GM's ignition-switch crisis deepens; death toll rises to 16

General Motors Co's (GM.N) ongoing safety crisis over deadly ignition switches deepened on Monday with the recall of 8.23 million mostly older cars linked by the U.S. automaker to three deaths.

The latest recalls boosted the number of deaths acknowledged by GM to at least 16 in cars with switch-related problems. The automaker said it now knows of 61 crashes tied to faulty ignition switches, although U.S. lawmakers and safety regulators have said they expect the death toll to climb.

They knew about the faulty ignitions for more than a decade and did nothing about it.

Aside from criminal negligence...

How is this company still in business?

Oh, yes, the American taxpayer who bends over for the unions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
A Reuters investigation in early June found that at least 74 people had died in GM cars in accidents with similarities to those that GM earlier had linked to 13 deaths involving defective ignition switches.

It is difficult to believe that there exist 8.5 million people that would buy a GM car in the first place.

Wonders never cease. Overpriced garbage.

Reactions: 2 people
I'm not a huge fan of GM, but some of the statistics, particularly deaths, seem to be over stated.

Another reason to buy Ford. Or if your really smart, a Honda or Toyota.

Another reason to buy Ford. Or if your really smart, a Honda or Toyota.

Irony.

Jk Yank I know it was a typo lol...

Acura is where its at. European luxury with Honda reliability. I find it hard to believe anyone would buy a GM car if they had driven any other make. The interiors are so cheap, even on the Vette.

Reactions: 1 person
Irony.

Acura is where its at. European luxury with Honda reliability. I find it hard to believe anyone would buy a GM car if they had driven any other make. The interiors are so cheap, even on the Vette.

I like Acura, just can't pull a horse trailer with one.

Reactions: 1 person
Back on topic:

39.85 million vehicles recalled this year alone. They set a new record beating their own they set in 2004 of 33 million.

Those are just insane numbers.

Irony.

grammar-nazi.jpg

Car and driver wrote a good article on this. Short version is yes they probably should have done something earlier, but the fault doesn't disable the car. It just requires twice the force to turn the wheel or brake. Not entirely unreasonable. And if one looks at the death cases, in all but one either alcohol was involved or seat belts weren't used.

Yes there was a problem, but as typical the media has run itself crazy in sensationalism.

Car and driver wrote a good article on this. Short version is yes they probably should have done something earlier, but the fault doesn't disable the car. It just requires twice the force to turn the wheel or brake. Not entirely unreasonable. And if one looks at the death cases, in all but one either alcohol was involved or seat belts weren't used.

Yes there was a problem, but as typical the media has run itself crazy in sensationalism.

What about the woman who went to prison for alledgly killing her husband then found out it is GM's fault and she was released

What about the woman who went to prison for alledgly killing her husband then found out it is GM's fault and she was released

It's a terrible situation for sure, but assigning fault is pointless. Should the car have been fixed? Yes. Should the husband been able to stop the car still? Yes. Is GM paying the price for its part? Yes. Are there countless other cases with other auto makers that unfortunately lead to fatal events? Yes. Can engineers protect against every use case in the world? No. I'm not endorsing how everything unfolded in this case. I'm just saying look at all the factors rationally before jumping to a conclusion. GM still is an American company. It and Ford are the only two true American auto makers left. They represent a huge sector of the American economy. If we start blasting them unfairly, then we are only setting ourselves up to fail.

BMW or gtfo.. The difference between a bmw and a porcupine is with the porcupine the pricks are on the outside! A builder I work for told me that shat.. (Eye are not a prick)

VN Store

Back