Subaru

UTFanForLife

I may be in the market for a new family vehicle, something that has a higher ground clearance but not cost me a ton. I came across a Subaru Forester, which from what I gather is comparable to a Honda CR-V or a Toyota Rav4. Has anyone had experience with these or other Subaru vehicles?

Would maintenance costs be similar to a Toyota? Do they have a reputation of being a brand that lasts awhile like a Toyota or Honda?

I did some Google searching but wanted to get some opinions here too.

We started out looking at the Forester but ended up with an outback. Had more storage space and room. It's a 2011 pushing 85k and zero issues.

We bought a 2015 Forester XT about 2 months ago. It is awesome. It has tons of leg room for me, I'm 6'5". Didn't like the Outback felt smaller & cramped sitting in it. It is fun to drive. Decent gas mileage & great safety ratings. You can definitely tell is has a turbo charger in it!! I haven't had it long enough to talk about repairs but I did recently speak with a mechanic of 25 years, he told me he would buy a Subaru over any other vehicle due to fewer repair issues. I didn't tell him that I had a Forester until after he brought it up. That made me feel even better about the purchase!!

Count you are clearly clueless. do some more research before you go spouting off nonsense again!!

I just bought a Subaru. Traded my wife's 07 Accord for an Impreza CrossTrek. She's been stuck on those for a while. Not sure why, we've always had Hondas. It's smaller and definitely a lot sportier, but she's in love with it.

It's new so obviously no issues. But I researched the brand quite extensively and actually tried to switch her to the Forester. I've never come across a car that was reviewed so highly.

Of course, I had to ask her, is she turning lesbian. :)

We bought a 2015 Forester XT about 2 months ago. It is awesome. It has tons of leg room for me, I'm 6'5". Didn't like the Outback felt smaller & cramped sitting in it. It is fun to drive. Decent gas mileage & great safety ratings. You can definitely tell is has a turbo charger in it!! I haven't had it long enough to talk about repairs but I did recently speak with a mechanic of 25 years, he told me he would buy a Subaru over any other vehicle due to fewer repair issues. I didn't tell him that I had a Forester until after he brought it up. That made me feel even better about the purchase!!

Count you are clearly clueless. do some more research before you go spouting off nonsense again!!

achievement-unlocked-jimmies-rustled.jpeg

Subaru makes a good vehicle. I would also recommend giving a Mazda CX-5 a look. They get great gas mileage.

Subaru has begun using CVT's instead of real automatic transmissions all through their product line, including the WRX.

I'll second what someone else said and recommend the CX-5.

Subaru has begun using CVT's instead of real automatic transmissions all through their product line, including the WRX.
If that's true, I'd pass on Subarus, I will not have a CVT until I am satisfied on their reliability.

Mazda has the 5 year lowest cost to own of any manufacturer. Also a consumer reports top pick.

Are the CVTs just in the newer models? We will probably be going used, either 2012 or 2013. I looked on Subaru's website and it doesn't list the forester as one that comes with a CVT.

Subaru's are good cars with reliable engines but personally the only one I would own is the Impreza WRX STi. Those are bad ass

Nerd, if someone came in asking between an AMG Mercedes and a comparable Bimmer, I'm fairly certain you'd still try to sell them on a Mazda.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
Nerd, if someone came in asking between an AMG Mercedes and a comparable Bimmer, I'm fairly certain you'd still try to sell them on a Mazda.

:lolabove:

Nah, I'm not gonna push apples to oranges. But the subaru and the Mazda are comparable products.

For instance check this out:

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD vs. 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD – Comparison Test – Car and Driver

or this

2013/2014 Compact Crossover Comparison - Motor Trend Page 2

Apples to apples, sir. Although not all apples are equal.

:lolabove:

Nah, I'm not gonna push apples to oranges. But the subaru and the Mazda are comparable products.

For instance check this out:

2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD vs. 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring, 2014 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring AWD – Comparison Test –*Car and Driver

or this

2013/2014 Compact Crossover Comparison - Motor Trend Page 2

Apples to apples, sir. Although not all apples are equal.

I'm just messing with you, both are great deals in their class. I've noticed that it's true about once someone goes Subaru, they stick with them though.

I'm just messing with you, both are great deals in their class. I've noticed that it's true about once someone goes Subaru, they stick with them though.

They really do. Subaru has such great loyalty among their customers. Rightfully so they make a great product. But I tell you, once we get someone to test drive a Mazda, folks realize what makes them so special.

Are the CVTs just in the newer models? We will probably be going used, either 2012 or 2013. I looked on Subaru's website and it doesn't list the forester as one that comes with a CVT.

CVT trannies are solid. They've been around for years. Nissan has had recent success with them. Subaru's are also solid.

The whiners about CVT trannies are just ignorant. Correct, they are not performance intent. NO AUTOMATIC is performance intent. (except the '15 911 turbo)

CVT trannies are solid. They've been around for years. Nissan has had recent success with them. Subaru's are also solid.

The whiners about CVT trannies are just ignorant. Correct, they are not performance intent. NO AUTOMATIC is performance intent. (except the '15 911 turbo)

Before accusing people of ignorance you might want to know that the 911 is not a traditional automatic transmission. It is a dual clutch which operates essentially like two manual transmissions, for a supreme level of responsiveness. However the chevy corvette uses a traditional automatic transmission, so you are wrong on your statement again.

Cvt's are fine so long as you don't mind an unresponsive and disconnected driving experience.

It's not whining to point out that the engine in a CVT equipped car has a peculiar drone to it that is not present in a car equipped with a real automatic.

Even the program Motor Week kvetches about CVTs. It's not ignorance, it's a personal preference.

VN Store

Back