NASA: Working on Proof Of Concept for Faster Than light Travel.

orangeblooded2

**Temple of Truth**
IXS enterprize.jpg

A warp ship such as the IXS Enterprise could allow travel to interstellar space in a matter of weeks rather than, say, centuries. And the science behind why it might be possible is truly mind-boggling.

This is the amazing design for NASA

Amazing stuff....Read the article, read the links, Watch the video lecture.

Reactions: 2 people
Reactions: 1 person
We should stop looking for hospitable planets. We will never be able to reach them.

I am with the poster before me. At the very start of the video the lecturer mentions how long it would take the Voyager to reach the Centari system (nearest solar system) 70,000 years if it was pointed in that direction.

The great thing about space is that there is no friction, nothing to slow you down once you get going. So if we were able to build a ship large enough to fill with a sustainable population (no inbreeding-sorry Alabama) and enough food (or the ability to reprocess food/water) we could essentially push it off into space and it would keep going at that speed indefinitely. That is where some of the technology the video mentions comes into play. You don't have to maintain the rocket in space. in fact any additional force applied once you got moving is translated straight into acceleration- moving you faster. So a lot of the propulsion technology we are looking into is stuff that doesn't provide instantaneous 'ludicrous' or warp or other FasterThanLight speeds but a gradual building up to an incredible speed, which is almost indefinitely continuous. Again once you got up to the speed you wanted you could shut the engines down and save whatever 'fuel' you are using and ride momentum to your destination. So while we (this generation and the next couple) wont see another habitable planet we (as humans) will definitely. Hell one of the Scandinavian countries is supposedly looking for volunteers to go on a one way mission to mars. Basically that's what we could do to any destination. Just starting shooting into space until you hit something.

Again and I am loving this long rant all you need for a hospitable planet is really liquid water. Everything else we have the technology to produce what we need just off of that. We can use water to create electricity, we use water to grow crops-hydroponics, use the electricity to allow photosynthesis. Water is two parts Hydrogen (fuel) one part oxygen (what we need to breath). And we have two other entities in our solar system that have/had this. Mars has ice now, and we have reason to believe it had flowing water some point-easy enough to turn ice into water. And then one of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn we have pictures of water geysers shooting out of the top crust indicating liquid water under the frozen surface. I would explain how we know about flowing water on mars and out there on that moon but I figure you gave up reading this/ wouldnt understand if I were to explain.

I agree with the OP, this is exciting. And all of this coming from a deeply Christian person. God didn't make the universe for us to sit on one planet, lets get out there and see whats up.

Reactions: 3 people
I am with the poster before me. At the very start of the video the lecturer mentions how long it would take the Voyager to reach the Centari system (nearest solar system) 70,000 years if it was pointed in that direction.

The great thing about space is that there is no friction, nothing to slow you down once you get going. So if we were able to build a ship large enough to fill with a sustainable population (no inbreeding-sorry Alabama) and enough food (or the ability to reprocess food/water) we could essentially push it off into space and it would keep going at that speed indefinitely. That is where some of the technology the video mentions comes into play. You don't have to maintain the rocket in space. in fact any additional force applied once you got moving is translated straight into acceleration- moving you faster. So a lot of the propulsion technology we are looking into is stuff that doesn't provide instantaneous 'ludicrous' or warp or other FasterThanLight speeds but a gradual building up to an incredible speed, which is almost indefinitely continuous. Again once you got up to the speed you wanted you could shut the engines down and save whatever 'fuel' you are using and ride momentum to your destination. So while we (this generation and the next couple) wont see another habitable planet we (as humans) will definitely. Hell one of the Scandinavian countries is supposedly looking for volunteers to go on a one way mission to mars. Basically that's what we could do to any destination. Just starting shooting into space until you hit something.

Again and I am loving this long rant all you need for a hospitable planet is really liquid water. Everything else we have the technology to produce what we need just off of that. We can use water to create electricity, we use water to grow crops-hydroponics, use the electricity to allow photosynthesis. Water is two parts Hydrogen (fuel) one part oxygen (what we need to breath). And we have two other entities in our solar system that have/had this. Mars has ice now, and we have reason to believe it had flowing water some point-easy enough to turn ice into water. And then one of the moons of Jupiter or Saturn we have pictures of water geysers shooting out of the top crust indicating liquid water under the frozen surface. I would explain how we know about flowing water on mars and out there on that moon but I figure you gave up reading this/ wouldnt understand if I were to explain.

I agree with the OP, this is exciting. And all of this coming from a deeply Christian person. God didn't make the universe for us to sit on one planet, lets get out there and see whats up.

Agreed. This stuff really excites me. We will spread to other planets in time as long as we don't destroy ourselves first.

7a02a00d1cfd79ccd9226a13027e652370132bf22a53046585d9c070d3dc3409.jpg

Magnets are the answer.

Could be, with space there are so many options its impossible to say what will end up being the tool. (I don't know if you are being serious) But that could actually be a great way to do it, basically make a rail gun in space that shot our ships at distant targets, we know we can get them (rail guns) to ridiculous speeds on earth, would work even better in space. This method would also allow them to only have to pack fuel for a one way trip- back home.

Agreed. This stuff really excites me. We will spread to other planets in time as long as we don't destroy ourselves first.

exactly, pretty much nothing else I am worried about at this point as far as killing off humans.

This sounds crazy to us, and it will always seem crazy when you try to think about a technology that hasn't yet come of age. Can you imagine what columbus would think about the concept of our jumbo jets? what about the pre automobile days? The world has shrunk, and I think it's possible that it could happen again with all of this.

Could be, with space there are so many options its impossible to say what will end up being the tool. (I don't know if you are being serious) But that could actually be a great way to do it, basically make a rail gun in space that shot our ships at distant targets, we know we can get them (rail guns) to ridiculous speeds on earth, would work even better in space. This method would also allow them to only have to pack fuel for a one way trip- back home.

I was and you have my idea also.

This sounds crazy to us, and it will always seem crazy when you try to think about a technology that hasn't yet come of age. Can you imagine what columbus would think about the concept of our jumbo jets? what about the pre automobile days? The world has shrunk, and I think it's possible that it could happen again with all of this.

Impossible is just another way of saying it hasn't happened yet.

I was and you have my idea also.

One of the main problems with any near-instantaneous speed is the g-force on crew. That much acceleration in so short of a time would create horrendous g's - I have no idea what levels but that would have to be seriously looked at.

Well we have been broadcasting our existence to the galaxy since the 60s or so. Kinda too late to hide from anything out there.

It's been awhile, but I don't think it was aliens in that movie. I think they went through a wormhole and when they came out on the other side they were in hell.

It's been awhile, but I don't think it was aliens in that movie. I think they went through a wormhole and when they came out on the other side they were in hell.

That movie was completely weird. I'll never get that time back I wasted watching it.

VN Store

Back