time for Reflection

JACK8254

I haven't been on here for a little while, on purpose. I wanted to think about how much the lunatic fringe of the VN is , albeit not purposely, hurting Vol Sports, the school, and esp the reputation of UT. Although it is a hard thing to quantify, the damage is real and the negative perception of the schools athletic programs is growing by the day. IMO, no guilt-edge coach would realistically consider coming to UT no matter how much wampum we offered. Whether or not C Martins leaving will have a positive effect in the long run ( no one can know at this point) in the short term , it is not helpful one tiny bit. Imagine for a second that you are Johnny Young BB coach, plying your trade and getting better every year, - are you gonna jump at the chance to go somewhere that the LUNATIC FRINGE of the "fanbase" was ready to ditch a coach that had had 3 20 win seasons and made it to the sweet 16 ? Probably not. This state is not first in per capita consumption of narcotics for no reason. We have way too many people who have a slanted perception of reality and our place in the college sports world. My recommendation to this FRINGE : shut up- you aren't helping UT or the other sane 70 % of the fanbase. :no:

It always looks worse on here than it really is. We're no worse than about 20 other schools.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with what Jack said. However, the window licking, mouth breathers won't shut up. They will continue to talk out of their asses on a regular basis on a variety of topics in which they have no expertise. I suspect this football season will be a bad one for trailer parks and small, domesticated animals when Butch Jones doesn't win 14 games.

Agree with GAVol.

Actually if you look at the Martin situation it was a pretty natural reaction. We had a guy who elevated the program (Pearl). When he left we brought in a guy who didn't appear to be continuing the new level. It's natural to think CM underachieved given new expectations.

CM to me is a lot like Tubby. Good character guy, good coach but not someone that is going to consistently keep the program at the level it could be.

I think other future coaches see that and wouldn't let it stop them from coming here.

I haven't been on here for a little while, on purpose. I wanted to think about how much the lunatic fringe of the VN is , albeit not purposely, hurting Vol Sports, the school, and esp the reputation of UT. Although it is a hard thing to quantify, the damage is real and the negative perception of the schools athletic programs is growing by the day. IMO, no guilt-edge coach would realistically consider coming to UT no matter how much wampum we offered. Whether or not C Martins leaving will have a positive effect in the long run ( no one can know at this point) in the short term , it is not helpful one tiny bit. Imagine for a second that you are Johnny Young BB coach, plying your trade and getting better every year, - are you gonna jump at the chance to go somewhere that the LUNATIC FRINGE of the "fanbase" was ready to ditch a coach that had had 3 20 win seasons and made it to the sweet 16 ? Probably not. This state is not first in per capita consumption of narcotics for no reason. We have way too many people who have a slanted perception of reality and our place in the college sports world. My recommendation to this FRINGE : shut up- you aren't helping UT or the other sane 70 % of the fanbase. :no:

What the heck is a guilt-edged coach?

We just had 69000 show up for a spring football "game" after back to back to back losing season and you want to complain about the fan base? The basketball team averages more butts in the seats than NBA teams in major metro areas

Hello Jack? Can you see us down here while on your high horse?

the LUNATIC FRINGE of the "fanbase" was ready to ditch a coach that had had 3 20 win seasons and made it to the sweet 16 ?

I believe it has been well-established that the lunatic fan base was clamoring for a change when we were underperforming and on track to miss the tourney. Most of us agreed that Martin earned an extension with the late run.

Agree with GAVol.

Actually if you look at the Martin situation it was a pretty natural reaction. We had a guy who elevated the program (Pearl). When he left we brought in a guy who didn't appear to be continuing the new level. It's natural to think CM underachieved given new expectations.

CM to me is a lot like Tubby. Good character guy, good coach but not someone that is going to consistently keep the program at the level it could be.

I think other future coaches see that and wouldn't let it stop them from coming here.

Good post bham.

Agree with GAVol.

Yes, but the ones continuing to whine about Pearl after we've named Tyndall really need to shut up. I could understand with Martin, even though it got old, but doing it now is just pathetic.

Whatever. Bama ran off coach after coach and we gleefully chided their unrealistic fans who just couldn't accept that their best days were behind them. They kept the faith and their path without showing any fear to up the ante time and again and it paid off. Auburn has done pretty much the same and we'll see UF do it this year if Muschamp doesn't turn it around. No OP. Unrealistic fans who demand winning at the highest level are not the problem. Our problem starts and ends with the leadership at the Knoxville campus and the low priority they put on athletics.

VN Store

Back