Flagyl (Metronidazole) and Alcohol

volinbham

VN GURU
Anyone had to take this heinous drug before (Metronidazole)? It's an antibiotic and apparently often causes severe side effects when combined with any alcohol (even mouthwash).

Took my last dose today (7 days) and you are supposed to wate another 48 to 72 hours before any alcohol - dinner just isn't the same without a nice glass of wine. Haven't chanced the anxiety attacks, rashes, projectile vomiting and irregular heartbeat that comes with mixing them but the effects without alcohol are bad enough (metallic taste, light nausea, crazy-ass dreams, etc.)

This blog's comments section spans 4 years (and many countries) of people's experiences mixing the two - entertaining (or at least it was to me since I could relate)

Matt's page where he writes things: Metronidazole and Alcohol - how much can you have?

I guess that'll teach him to stop drinking from the toilet.

Yeah, there are so many antibiotics to pick before that one that you actually can drink with.

Was diagnosed with diverticulitis - they go after it hard and this stuff and Augmentin is the common treatment. It is a demon drug to be sure. If I can help it I will never, ever take this again

The blog comments are funny in that everyone badly wants to have a drink but fear the consequences - most of them chance it and most of those end up with some bad consequences. Some chance it with a sip or two, some go hardcore.

The other common comments are people saying what a bunch of alcoholics everyone else in the thread are.

Was diagnosed with diverticulitis - they go after it hard and this stuff and Augmentin is the common treatment. It is a demon drug to be sure. If I can help it I will never, ever take this again

The blog comments are funny in that everyone badly wants to have a drink but fear the consequences - most of them chance it and most of those end up with some bad consequences. Some chance it with a sip or two, some go hardcore.

The other common comments are people saying what a bunch of alcoholics everyone else in the thread are.

Go with Augmentin if there is a next time! :good!:

Sorry to hear that. Hope you get better soon

I did not have to read anything about this drug. My ex-wife and I both had to take this circa 1983 ish. Dr. Told us or me rather Do not drink alcohol with this as you will regurgitate profusely. Linda Blair ain't got S*** on me. I believe I out puked her by 5 feet.

I did not have to read anything about this drug. My ex-wife and I both had to take this circa 1983 ish. Dr. Told us or me rather Do not drink alcohol with this as you will regurgitate profusely. Linda Blair ain't got S*** on me. I believe I out puked her by 5 feet.

reading hundreds of experiences like yours kept me from testing it.

Had some wine and whiskey last night (36 hours after finishing dosage) and other than some odd dizziness I didn't suffer.

reading hundreds of experiences like yours kept me from testing it.

Had some wine and whiskey last night (36 hours after finishing dosage) and other than some odd dizziness I didn't suffer.

I've heard they recommend waiting up to 5 days after the medicine. There is another medication that has the same problem with alcohol but it treats fungal infections. Diflucan(Fluconazole).

I deal with diverticulitis on occasion as well. I used to take Cipro and Flagyl simultaneously as one covers aerobic bacteria and the other covers anaerobic bacteria. Augmentin provides broad coverage against both, according to my doc, so that's the only one I take now. Just food for thought.

Wine and Whiskey(?).....some odd dizziness! I don't know anyone that would attempt this. Might as well put'em in a blender on ice throw in a flagyl as a kicker and call it an "Exorcism".

:angel:

I took it for a few months when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's disease. I never had any side effects to my recollection, or maybe I was so close to death I can't recall each individual symptom lol

One of my co-workers took Cipro and had horrible muscle and joint problems for about three weeks after.

I use metronidazole gel for rosacea, fortunately, I can drink all the whiskey I want.

VN Store

Back