Earth-like Planet Found

volinbham

VN GURU
Meet Kepler-186f, the most 'Earth-like' planet ever found - latimes.com

Sifting through observations from tens of thousands of distant stars, astronomers say they have discovered the first definitive Earth-sized planet that orbits in a habitable zone where water could exist in liquid form — a necessary condition for life as we know it.

Experts don’t know if the planet, described in Friday’s edition of the journal Science, actually has water or a protective atmosphere. They don’t even know its mass. But they said the landmark discovery raises the distinct possibility that a bumper crop of Earth-like planets is waiting to be found much closer to home, including around temperamental stars that until recently were considered inhospitable to life.

Reactions: 4 people
PE6vZ.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Better hope there isn't ethnic Russians there, or the Kremlin reserves the right to intervene...

Yes!

And it's ONLY 500 light years away.

Now of we can only get that warp drive going at the speed of light we can make it there by 2514AD.

It may even have water they think.

Yes!

Now of we can only get that warp drive going at the speed of light we can make it there by 2514AD.

The photos they showed on the news sure looked like it had water.

Pretty fascinating. I hope some day in the future someone figures out space travel and we see stuff like in Star Trek and we can actually travel to other galaxies and planets. Find some life other than here. Probably just a pipedream though.

Reactions: 2 people
Pretty fascinating. I hope some day in the future someone figures out space travel and we see stuff like in Star Trek and we can actually travel to other galaxies and planets. Find some life other than here. Probably just a pipedream though.

Pipe dream...not at all. I say we beat their time table for discovery.

I think there is a good chance we'll find life outside the Earth before 2100, because I am hopeful that there is microbial life in our own solar system, on the moon Titan possibly or on Mars.

We should send some tartigrades to mars and see how long they last.

I think there is a good chance we'll find life outside the Earth before 2100, because I am hopeful that there is microbial life in our own solar system, on the moon Titan possibly or on Mars.

I think there is just as good of a chance that it finds us or the revelation that they where here before\and\or never left becomes common knowledge.

Yes!

Maybe we could meet 'me half way. That way we could cut it to 250 light years! :whistling:

Friendly wager?

So I guess the government is going to waste even more money we don't have to investigate something that we can never reach and means absolutely nothing. Scientists should spend their time better than searching for planets that could be earth like. Total waste of time and money.

Not to be condescending but why does it matter? Why does life outside of earth mean anything?

VN Store

Back