AT&T UVerse vs Comcast

utkCREW

I am near Oak Ridge, TN. We had some people come our house trying to get us to sign up for AT&T Uverse.

My biggest concern is Internet. Apparently their plan is an 18Mbps speed. I did a speedtest.net run just now with my Comcast service and it showed my download speed at about 28Mbps and an Upload speed of 5.67Mbps.

I'm not the type that clearly understands all these speed differences. I play WoW daily in a seriously competitive raiding guild, download 'things', watch Netflix, and have a pretty active internet life when I'm at home either on my desktop, laptop, iphone, or ipad.

I just don't know if Uverse is worth switching first off, and secondly if that connection speed will MORE THAN suffice for my needs.

A true 18Mbps connection would be plenty for you. However, you might want to research UVerse ping times and what real world speeds are. Depending where you are in relation to their system, your ping could be fairly slow. (how fast your computer actually sends a request to a location through your ISP. better ping, better gaming experience)

Only time you'd probably notice the decreased speed is when downloading things. It's going to be slower.

Last edited:
All I've been doing is reading nonstop lots of complaints with AT&T Uverse and how Comcast is the lesser of two evils.

My wife signed us up cause she gets suckered into sales pitch crap like they did door to door, supposedly they're coming Saturday to switch our crap to AT&T Uverse, but think I'll cancel that and attempt to contact Comcast seeking a better competitive price (since up to now nothing but Comcast has been available in our area...with new competition, and how long we've been Comcast subscribers they ought to give us a competitive better deal.)

Last edited:
All I've been doing is reading nonstop lots of complaints with AT&T Uverse and how Comcast is the lesser of two evils.

My wife signed us up cause she gets suckered into sales pitch crap like they did door to door, supposedly they're coming Saturday to switch our crap to AT&T Uverse, but think I'll cancel that and attempt to contact Comcast seeking a better competitive price (since up to now nothing but Comcast has been available in our area...with new competition, and how long we've been Comcast subscribers they ought to give us a competitive better deal.)

Why? Try it for yourself and form your own opinion. Ride out the promotional period which is always cheaper and THEN switch back to Comcast if you must.

I'm not sure that there really is a lesser of two evils in this case. I found U-Verse to provide better overall service but at an exorbitant price. Comcast started out significantly cheaper but has nickeled and dimed us with surcharges to the point that now the difference is rather nominal. Our experience has been that Comcast's overall service is inferior to that provided by U-Verse.

I'd cancel it if for no other reason than to not give their door-to-door slugs any benefit.

We've had to make numerous complaints about them in our neighborhood. They're favorite method is to go to an elderly couple's home and tell them "We're making system upgrades and getting folks switched over to the new system they have to have. What day can we come by?" The old folks don't know any better and sign on.

If you want Uverse, call them directly.

As for the service, its fine when it works but we had infuriating signal drops, lag, etc. Almost every show I DVRed had little 2-3 min gaps.

In my experience, Comcast internet service>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AT&T internet service. If its available in your area, I would look into Verizon FiOS which is miles better than either of those options.

I hate AT&T with a passion. I still have a home phone line but refuse to get anything else with them. Told the last door to door person that if they came to my house again, I would be on the phone canceling home phone before I answered the door.

I hate Comcast too.

Guess I need to pull the trigger and call EPB.

I had Charter forever and hated them with a passion. I recently switched to TDS Fiberoptic. Now I may have to switch to something else considering I'll likely never get the SEC Network on TDS.

I think they all have issues.

I had Charter forever and hated them with a passion. I recently switched to TDS Fiberoptic. Now I may have to switch to something else considering I'll likely never get the SEC Network on TDS.

I think they all have issues.

True......I think the best setup is to have fiber optic internet and use either comcast or Directv for tv.

True......I think the best setup is to have fiber optic internet and use either comcast or Directv for tv.

That's actually what I've been considering. But I'm going to wait and see how the SEC Network stuff plays out first.

In my experience, Comcast internet service>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>AT&T internet service. If its available in your area, I would look into Verizon FiOS which is miles better than either of those options.

Verizon FiOS is still very limited to certain areas.

Fios and u verse are essentially the same service. Sane type anyway.

Fios and u verse are essentially the same service. Sane type anyway.

Yes. There is a big performance difference between the two different types of fiber optic networks though FTTP(Fiber to the premises) and FTTN(fiber to the node). Both of these are offered by AT&T and Verizon.
The majority of the connections are FTTN but if you're lucky enough to be in one of the areas where they are running the fiber optic all the way to the house you've seriously scored.

I switched from charter to Uverse. The picture is soo much better. The Internet speed is plenty fast for streaming Netflix.
The problem is they literally have NO customer service. II've needed to contact them a few times for little things, and I had to call the cell phone of the girl that first got me signed up to get a response. It's quite frustrating but it's still better than charter. They don't have VLT2 which sucks a lot, too.

Comcast is horrible. Their customer service is bad, their internet and tv is unreliable. I really may switch to uverse.

Comcast is horrible. Their customer service is bad, their internet and tv is unreliable. I really may switch to uverse.

I've never had a problem besides lousy customer service but it's tolerable. Have a few friends that switched to uverse and are wanting to switch back to Comcast.

I haven't had a problem with either tv or their Internet, only reason I changed ISPs was due to them only offering 50 DL in my area. Their customer service is pretty bad but I've only had to use it once or twice over the last few years.

I despise Comcast, but the problem is On Demand. I could never get rid of On Demand, that's the only reason I keep it and deal with the absolutely pathetic customer service.

I've actually had pretty good experiences with comcast customer service over the phone. The problem is when they have to send someone out to the house.

I only get internet with them. i dropped the TV sub a couple years ago.

VN Store

Back