Laptop with the best battery life

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Whatcha got VolNation? I was considering a 13" Macbook Air but thought I'd consider other options. It looks like the Chromebook from Samsung is rated for 6.5 hours.

I also want something on the smaller side that's easy to carry around.

Yeah I think you're on the right track. If you're a Mac guy at all, I think the Air would be great. Haven't used any of the smaller windows systems though, but I'd imagine they have similar capabilities.

That battery life is tricky. Sometimes it's standby time
If you want long life and this is coming from a apple guy get a pc and order a extended battery. Also key to longevity in a battery is don't leave it plugged up all the time let them die and recharge

I would stay away from chromebook unless you are ok with strictly working out of the cloud.

I got the 13" MBA in December and have never been happier with a computer. Battery life is excellent and recharge time is also fast. Supposedly, this generation of MBAs have significantly better battery life than earlier models.

The only negative is that RAM is not upgradeable. Be sure and initially order plenty for your needs.

A few things to remember.

•Lithium ion chemistry prefers partial discharge to deep discharge, so it's best to avoid taking the battery all the way down to zero. Since lithium-ion chemistry does not have a "memory", you do not harm the battery pack with a partial discharge. If the voltage of a lithium-ion cell drops below a certain level, it's ruined.

•Lithium-ion batteries age. They only last two to three years, even if they are sitting on a shelf unused. So do not "avoid using" the battery with the thought that the battery pack will last five years. It won't. Also, if you are buying a new battery pack, you want to make sure it really is new. If it has been sitting on a shelf in the store for a year, it won't last very long. Manufacturing dates are important.

•Avoid heat, which degrades the batteries.

Source: HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

I read the other day that the built-in batteries such as the Macs use actually have a longer life span too.

I know my old 2007 Toshiba stopped holding a charge within a year and half. Granted thats old tech now.

I know my old 2007 Toshiba stopped holding a charge within a year and half.

dont-believe-you.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Another vote for the Macbook Air. Great machine - the startup with the SSD is really fast and I haven't missed having an optical drive at all.

Another vote for the Macbook Air. Great machine - the startup with the SSD is really fast and I haven't missed having an optical drive at all.

I needed to install Office from disc and was able to "share" the disc drive on my Dell laptop for the installation. It took a little bit longer over wifi, but nothing outrageous. I would suggest upgrading to an AC router if you don't already have one. Speeds are amazing.

I also have heard running Windows on a Mac significantly increases battery life. :thumbsup:

I would NEVER buy a laptop with a built in battery. If the laptop is fairly well taken care of the battery will be the first thing to die.

Good feedback guys. Although I was you guys would save me some money. :lol:

My macbook is so old I can't upgrade the OS and as a result many of the apps in the app store won't work. I'm a bit irritated with Apple at the moment. I can't even run iWork unless I can dig up the old version online.

Whatcha got VolNation? I was considering a 13" Macbook Air but thought I'd consider other options. It looks like the Chromebook from Samsung is rated for 6.5 hours.

I also want something on the smaller side that's easy to carry around.

ksusha is always present in a laptop thread

Freak should email her, to get a reco..

maybe she would come back around

My macbook is so old I can't upgrade the OS and as a result many of the apps in the app store won't work. I'm a bit irritated with Apple at the moment. I can't even run iWork unless I can dig up the old version online.

Yet another reason to get away from Apple.

What will you mainly be doing with the laptop Freak?

Macbook Air wont upgrade? How old is it? I was just in a Mac Authority store today and they had a refurbed 2008 iMac running Mavericks.

Yet another reason to get away from Apple.

What will you mainly be doing with the laptop Freak?

I have an iMac for all my power lifting so the laptop is just web browsing, note taking, a few flyers, etc.

My current macbook runs fine. I actually put an ssd in it but I'm limited by software and battery life.

It's not an Air, just a Macbook 4,1.

Ok that makes more sense. In your OP you said Air. Those havent been on the market that long so I was a little surprised.

Im looking into getting a 13" Air in August around Tax free day. Like you I have an imac for heavy lifting but I need a portable for going back and forth to the office.

The way macs sync up there is no reason to go with a windows machine.

VN Store

Back