Spring Fitness Program Advice

kiddiedoc

Renaissance Man
Staff member
I'm looking for some advice/recommendation for a good organized program/system. I'm in my mid/late 30's, am in good CV shape (have recently run as long as 9 miles), and have a modestly-equipped home gym. My goal is to get in the best shape of my life and to develop definition, especially in the core area.

I am 98% recovered from shoulder surgery last fall and would like to continue to build strength, but crazy power lifting and max weight no longer interests me (plus, I think it's to blame for some of my joint problems...) My experience so far has been limited to 3 months of P90X about 3 years ago. I really liked parts of it, but I didn't feel like the cardio was challenging enough and 1.5 hours of yoga...yawn.

So, fire away. I'm not joining a gym and I'm not driving to a CrossFit. I'm absolutely open to DVDs, online programs, or print. I don't want to spend a ton of money though.

TIA!

I just started focus t-25. It is pretty intense, and it is only 25 minutes per day. Might not be challenging enough considering you seem in pretty good shape. Maybe insanity or asylum would be a good fit. Those are cardio and core centric. Asylum is focused on doing more athletic type training moves. Insanity is more of all out non stop intense cardio.

Also, there is a site called Daily HIIT. It is full of tons of different Hiit workouts or Tabata. Those can be very tough.

I just started focus t-25. It is pretty intense, and it is only 25 minutes per day. Might not be challenging enough considering you seem in pretty good shape. Maybe insanity or asylum would be a good fit. Those are cardio and core centric. Asylum is focused on doing more athletic type training moves. Insanity is more of all out non stop intense cardio.

Yup feel like he'd like the insanity challenge based on his post.big don't have experience with it buts its well known to be a challenge for most people

My BIL did the insanity and said it was one of the toughest work out he has ever done. He worked with a personal trainer for a while too.

I'm in pretty good shape and Insanity is really tough. I'd recommend the T25 to get you in shape to do Insanity.

If fitness is your goal, and not bulk, you can't go wrong with the P90X, T25, or Insanity workouts.

I would recommend not listening to Radiohead or Phish for workout tunes though. :)

My best muscle definition program I ever did was basically 45 mins 4 days a week, off weekends.. Bench some good weight but not too much. After you do this do 3 sets of about 45 pounds of weight front curls biceps, back curls triceps, pull up reverse curls forearms neck muscles, regular press and bench press. Do about 30-40 reps each taking a very small break in between. Light squats as well. You have to stick with it. This may be extreme but my motivation is I gave up smoking and began the workout routine some 30 years ago. I walk now but thankfully my bp remains very good. I think all this working out when your younger follows you throughout your life. Good luck. Heavy weights are for the birds and dangerous imo. It's all about repetition and dedication..

Oh yeah, forgot to add. I use to work with a guy for years that was a former Southeast region body building champion. That was a motivator as well. Just saying.

3 days in. A little unsure about the 30 minute time frame. Very intense, the yoga is much easier than the 1.5 hours in the original P90X. Tomorrow is a tough push up/pull up day. Will report back.

What program are you using? I think I'm going to start back with P90x this week

8 days in... Honestly, impressed that I can get that winded or sore in thirty minutes. A lot of high-intensity moves that engage a number of muscle groups... Very little rest. Looks like things really heat up in month two, so I'll post back.

I'm looking for some advice/recommendation for a good organized program/system. I'm in my mid/late 30's, am in good CV shape (have recently run as long as 9 miles), and have a modestly-equipped home gym. My goal is to get in the best shape of my life and to develop definition, especially in the core area.

I am 98% recovered from shoulder surgery last fall and would like to continue to build strength, but crazy power lifting and max weight no longer interests me (plus, I think it's to blame for some of my joint problems...) My experience so far has been limited to 3 months of P90X about 3 years ago. I really liked parts of it, but I didn't feel like the cardio was challenging enough and 1.5 hours of yoga...yawn.

So, fire away. I'm not joining a gym and I'm not driving to a CrossFit. I'm absolutely open to DVDs, online programs, or print. I don't want to spend a ton of money though.

TIA!

Stay away from p90x due to your shoulder surgery, and do band exercises until it is 100 percent recovered. Then start using machines until you can upgrade to free weights. Do circuit training.

Reactions: 1 person

TIA!

H.I.T. High Intensity Training - Dr. Ellington Darden.'

Dr. Darden's H.I.T.

The best trainer in middle Tennessee is Jeff Holt from Personal Health & Fitness in Hendersonville, TN. He is an advocate of Dr. Darden and HIT.

Jeff Holt Personal Health and Fitness

H.I.T. is about lifting small amount of weights until muscle exhaustion sets in. No heavy weights. No multiple sets of or pyramid lifting schedules.

Last edited:
8 days in... Honestly, impressed that I can get that winded or sore in thirty minutes. A lot of high-intensity moves that engage a number of muscle groups... Very little rest. Looks like things really heat up in month two, so I'll post back.

Go find a jiujitsu or krav gym if you want to master breathing and heart rate control as well as have a ridiculous workout.

I did the first "eccentric" workout (upper body) tonight to start week 5. Already hurting. Those negatives are BRUTAL!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back