Thanksgiving Boycott

salutethehill

by hatchet, axe, and saw
Been seeing lots of junk online dealing with boycotting stores that are open Thanksgiving. Seems impossibru to be consistent with this way of thinking. Even though I never have before, I pledge to shop in as many establishments as possible on Thanksgiving day. Wait...maybe that's what they want...

Thanksgiving.jpg

Also many people "like" working on holidays since they get more per hour. Not everyone has family they want to spend time with (if its even possible)

Reactions: 2 people
When I worked at Blockbuster many moons ago, we had a list of folks who wanted to work Thanksgiving. We had to strategically align the schedule so everyone would get fair amounts of time-and-a-half. I enjoyed working Thanksgiving. It was busy. People were generally friendlier than normal. And, of course, the pay...

kmart was my first job. I loved working on turkey day cause i got time and a half and it gave me an excuse to get away from the fam a little earlier than I otherwise would

Have to admit it bothers me how more and more stores are starting to open on Thanksgiving. Pretty soon it will just be a government and bank holiday while the rest of the world will go on business as usual.

Reactions: 3 people
Do you watch TV on Thanksgiving? Does it bother you that news reporters have to work? Why just retail? And why now?

Do you watch TV on Thanksgiving? Does it bother you that news reporters have to work? Why just retail? And why now?

My dad was a police officer so I am very familiar with working on the holidays. And yes I do watch Football on TG. I even get wanting a break from the family after a couple of hours.

I don't really have a logical reason as to why I don't like retail businesses opening other than it''s traditionally been a day when everything shuts down. There is no hustle and bustle of traffic and so forth. It's just calm and peaceful. It was also the calm before the storm that is Black Fri.

My dad was a police officer so I am very familiar with working on the holidays. And yes I do watch Football on TG. I even get wanting a break from the family after a couple of hours.

I don't really have a logical reason as to why I don't like retail businesses opening other than it''s traditionally been a day when everything shuts down. There is no hustle and bustle of traffic and so forth. It's just calm and peaceful. It was also the calm before the storm that is Black Fri.

Not everything shuts down. Not some gas stations. Not some restaurants. Hasn't in years...if ever. We're "calm and peaceful", regardless of who's open.

Not everything shuts down. Not some gas stations. Not some restaurants. Hasn't in years...if ever. We're "calm and peaceful", regardless of who's open.

90% of things used to shut down. More amd more seem to open up every year. It's picking up at a faster clip each year too. That was kind of my point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Also, it was more necessity things that used to stay open or open for a few hours. Now it's just a mad dash to get a jump on the Chrismas shopping. I just find it tacky.

None of my business if those people are working or not. I choose to not shop because I'm bloated and sleepy on Thanksgiving. No other reason.

In my line of work, customers demand product around the clock. For some folks my product is the only way for them to get through the holiday.

In my line of work, customers demand product around the clock. For some folks my product is the only way for them to get through the holiday.

Drug dealer?

All I know is there better be some damn football on for me to watch. The camera guys are not allowed off iyam

Drug dealer?

All I know is there better be some damn football on for me to watch. The camera guys are not allowed off iyam

Or maybe Nerd is a gas station attendant. :p

only after about 8am.. that's the extent i can tolerate a few family members.

As a fellow night shifter I should be able to purchase alcohol in the morning after I get off of work without being looked at like I have a drinking problem. Down with the man and his bible belt laws!

What difference does it make, at this point. The American (traditional 2 parent) family is essentially destroyed anyways. Why would anyone expect a traditional holiday to survive.

plus, no one is putting a gun to anyone's head to work. Silly campaign.

VN Store

Back