Marriage

If ever been married, have you had a marriage that ended in divorce?

• Total voters

golfballs

Mostly Peaceful Poster
The latest stat I've seen is that around 45% of all marriages end in divorce. I'm interested to see where VN falls.

If you have gotten married at some point in your life, did you have a marriage that resulted in divorce?

If you have never tied the knot, then don't vote 'No' in the poll. :hi:

Note: the results of this poll are private.

Last edited:
Nobody ever goes into a marriage thinking they they will get a divorce. I'm sure people see that stat and say, well that won't be us. But half of those people end up getting divorced. Crazy to think about.

Reactions: 2 people
Nobody ever goes into a marriage thinking they they will get a divorce. I'm sure people see that stat and say, well that won't be us. But half of those people end up getting divorced. Crazy to think about.

I agree. However, I think about half of those that do divorce, don't try to save their marriage when it starts going downhill. Not saying that some aren't warranted, but too many people give up too easily.

Reactions: 8 people
I agree. However, I think about half of those that do divorce, don't try to save their marriage when it starts going downhill. Not saying that some aren't warranted, but too many people give up too easily.

This

Married 17 yrs to high school sweetheart. Married 9 yrs to current wife, but we've been together for 13.

I don't know anyone personally that has been divorced so I don't know what their experience was. However, I know a couple who came very close. At the worst, their marriage was a train-wreck. As bad as it was, it was hard to imagine how they were able to move on from it.

13 very good years so far. Treat your spouse better than you treat yourself and it'll go far as long as the other half reciprocates. Also take 1 Corinthians 7:4-5 to heart :)

Reactions: 5 people
I wonder how much strife in marriage is related to women's liberation and role reversals in the home/workplace. I saw a stat the other day that said 45% of married women are the primary income earners for their households. These changes in dynamics could be adversely affecting marriages without people realizing it. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 person
I've only been married for a few months so I'm not the best authority on this, but my wife and I have said since the beginning of the relationship that cheating and drug use are the 2 grounds for divorce, other than that we need to be able to work through it.

Reactions: 2 people
I've only been married for a few months so I'm not the best authority on this, but my wife and I have said since the beginning of the relationship that cheating and drug use are the 2 grounds for divorce, other than that we need to be able to work through it.

I've read that by even talking about grounds for divorce that you basically have planted the seeds for getting a divorce. Marriage is about commitment, and studies would suggest that neither you nor your wife are fully committed if you are talking about this.

Reactions: 3 people
I wonder how much strife in marriage is related to women's liberation and role reversals in the home/workplace. I saw a stat the other day that said 45% of married women are the primary income earners for their households. These changes in dynamics could be adversely affecting marriages without people realizing it. Just my 2 cents.

I'm sure it does.

I've read that by even talking about grounds for divorce that you basically have planted the seeds for getting a divorce. Marriage is about commitment, and studies would suggest that neither you nor your wife are fully committed if you are talking about this.

This, from experience

Reactions: 1 person

Although I still am the primary bread winner, we have a lot of role reversals in our house. But, it works for us as we are trying to play to our strengths.

First marriage lasted on paper for 7 years but in reality it was over after the 3rd year. Second marriage is going strong after 19 years.

16 years for me and McMom. We both took our commitment to our marriage and our family seriously. Still, we had our issues. Things disintegrated for almost a decade before we reached our breaking point. It was so bad, I was looking to move out and she was looking to change the locks. Even at this low point, and even though my faith in our relationship was gone, my lovely bride never lost hope and never gave up on our family.

Somehow (I believe God granted us a miracle), we managed to get our issues resolved. It took a lot of counseling and hard work from each of us. Today, things are beyond fantastic. We have a loving home life and we are both in a marriage that we always dreamed we would have. Things are so good now, that I would be willing to go through the hell of several years ago to be where we are now.

I owe so much to my wife for not giving up on us. She amazed me with her strength and her forgiveness. I am a very lucky man, indeed.

Reactions: 11 people
Married to my ex-wife for almost 4 years, and we were together 5.5 years total. Now, I am married to an amazing woman, and have been with her going on 2 years the end of August. We just got married the first of April, but this marriage is night and day from the previous one. Plus, it doesn't hurt that she loves the Vols like I do.

16 years for me and McMom. We both took our commitment to our marriage and our family seriously. Still, we had our issues. Things disintegrated for almost a decade before we reached our breaking point. It was so bad, I was looking to move out and she was looking to change the locks. Even at this low point, and even though my faith in our relationship was gone, my lovely bride never lost hope and never gave up on our family.

Somehow (I believe God granted us a miracle), we managed to get our issues resolved. It took a lot of counseling and hard work from each of us. Today, things are beyond fantastic. We have a loving home life and we are both in a marriage that we always dreamed we would have. Things are so good now, that I would be willing to go through the hell of several years ago to be where we are now.

I owe so much to my wife for not giving up on us. She amazed me with her strength and her forgiveness. I am a very lucky man, indeed.

Good stuff man!!

VN Store

Back