Lawn Mower Suggestions

Gramps

My 10 year old 42" rider has saw it's better days. Time to get a new mower.

I mow about 2 acres that is on a hill.
Nothing very steep.

I am not impressed with a 42" mower or the ones I have had, uneven cut. I am tried of double mowing every week.

Does a 46" or 50" cut better?

Any recommendations?

I' m cheap, have no desire to spend 5 k on a mower, prefer to stay under 3 k.

Hey Gramps. I'm on mobile or would do a search for you, but seem to recall a fairly detailed thread about this subject that had some great information in it. There are clearly a few experts on this subject in Volnation, but I'm not one of them.

My 10 year old 42" rider has saw it's better days. Time to get a new mower.

I mow about 2 acres that is on a hill.
Nothing very steep.

I am not impressed with a 42" mower or the ones I have had, uneven cut. I am tried of double mowing every week.

Does a 46" or 50" cut better?

Any recommendations?

I' m cheap, have no desire to spend 5 k on a mower, prefer to stay under 3 k.

42" are the worse decks you can get.

Get a kubota. 48"-54" for your size yard. The new steering systems on these units are excellent.

John Deere also is a great choice. They have 4 wheel steering also.

These are great choices if not going zero turn.

42" are the worse decks you can get.

Get a kubota. 48"-54" for your size yard. The new steering systems on these units are excellent.

John Deere also is a great choice. They have 4 wheel steering also.

These are great choices if not going zero turn.

Kubota's start at around $5,000.00 , correct?

I am want to stay around $3,000 or less if.

A John Deere may be an option.

Back from where I'm from originally, my father has to mow our yard and our grandma's every week: combines for probably about 5 to 6 acres. He bought a 60 inch Bobcat zero turn mower a few years ago, and it has reduced his mowing time by probably more than half. Used to probably take somewhere around 7 to 9 hours (lots of trees to mow around) and now is only 3 or so. I don't think it costs more than 3,000 but that was 5 to 7 years ago, so probably more now.

And if you find it within your price range, I highly recommend a zero turn. Not only is it quicker, but it is like a ride at the amusement park. haha! That's all assuming you had a conventional steer/tractor in the first place. You might already know about the joys of a zero.

Kubota's start at around $5,000.00 , correct?

I am want to stay around $3,000 or less if.

A John Deere may be an option.

Should find some in your price range.

Good luck gramps. I'm on the hunt as well.

Are you looking for a tractor, walk behind, or Z turn?

I am undecided at this point.
I have always had a standard lawn tractor. I am use to them but I do know I do not want another 42".

I don't believe I want a walk behind to mow 2 acres every week.

I like the thoughts of moving to a Z turn but a little skeptical because of mowing on hill. Simply not familiar with them.There are a couple of small sections that I shift my weight to one side of the mower.

I have always had a standard lawn tractor. I am use to them but I do know I do not want another 42".

I like the thoughts of moving to a Z turn but a little skeptical because of mowing on hill. Simply not familiar with them.There are a couple of small sections that I shift my weight to one side of the mower.

That's a good point about the zero turn. Dad has to mow some fairly steep hills, maybe at a 35 or 40 degree angle or so. Have to be careful, but he manages. If it's too steep, you'd definitely want a roll bar.

That's a good point about the zero turn. Dad has to mow some fairly steep hills, maybe at a 35 or 40 degree angle or so. Have to be careful, but he manages. If it's too steep, you'd definitely want a roll bar.

I don't have anything very steep. It is basically a 300' long sloping hill with 2 little spots one about 30' the other about 50' long that I am cautious on. It is only 3 swipes across with the 42" mower.

Z turn is the way to go, you'll get the hang of it in 20 minutes. Get a Toro.

Z turn is the way to go, you'll get the hang of it in 20 minutes. Get a Toro.

Thanks. I believe the Home Depot sells Toro. Any models I need to stay away from?

I think I will go down to our local Kubota dealer also but I think they are more than I am wanting to pay.

The TimeCutter 3200 is garbage, comparatively speaking. All in all,they're great machines with proper maintenance.

Thanks. I believe the Home Depot sells Toro. Any models I need to stay away from?

I think I will go down to our local Kubota dealer also but I think they are more than I am wanting to pay.

Any toro from Home Depot is garbage. They are not "real" toro's.

Any toro from Home Depot is garbage. They are not "real" toro's.

So what is a "real" toro in your mind? If it's made by that company, why should I not take their word that it's a very good product? We have a Lowe's here & they have John Deere mowers out front. I had someone tell me to go to the "real dealer" to get a John Deere? Why is all I'm asking if the logo is on that brand? Of course I read the customers comments on the websites to get a good idea if a product is a good buy before I buy.

Last edited:
I'll still place my stakes with a Bobcat zero turn, but that might be more than you're looking to spend. I'll say this though: it's 5 to 7 years out, and we've had no maintenance issues at all as far as I can recall (unless Dad hasn't told me, but I'd imagine he would).

Oh, and I just now remembered that my grandpa (on other side of the family) also has a Bobcat zero turn (maybe a 52 to 56 inch deck). He bought it after my dad liked his so much. I don't think he's had any problems with it either (with around 2 to 3 acres to mow) and has probably had his the last 3 or 4 years.

I'll still place my stakes with a Bobcat zero turn, but that might be more than you're looking to spend. I'll say this though: it's 5 to 7 years out, and we've had no maintenance issues at all as far as I can recall (unless Dad hasn't told me, but I'd imagine he would).

I will do a search on Bobcat. I'm not sure anyone local sells them.

VN Store

Back