Tesla Model S

YorkVol

I posted this in the other car thread yesterday but wanted to get opinions on this car. Not really in my price range but I'm excited by the facts it is all electric, can go up to 300 miles on a single charge and can be charged anywhere. Plus it is advertised to drive like a well made performance sedan.

Most of the all electric vehicles I've seen have a relatively short driving range and many need a high voltage charging stations to recharge. Also, they don't seem to be able to get enough power to appeal to most drivers. It is often like driving an enclosed golf cart on the highway.

Thoughts?

Model S | Tesla Motors

Very nice, it looks great. The only problem with all electric cars has been that it takes so long for them to recharge.

I'll believe the 300 mile range when it's something other than a manufacturer's claim.

Been mentioning this car for years now, but the Loremo. When I first heard about it in 08 it was set to be released this year in Europe and next year in the US. I have been told by my friends in Denmark that the manufacturer is being battled by major US car corporations, ie Ford, for it's safety concerns. Basically the car weighs in at just a few hundred over 1,000lbs so the claim is that, due to it's weight, the car is too unsafe and therefore ineligible for production or sale in the US. There was a similar deal with the Smart Car if I remember correctly. Weight was it's biggest concern but sure enough safety ratings proved otherwise. I even recall it rating higher than Mercedes-Benz S-Class, which is impressive for such a tiny car.

Specs of the Loremo:

120-130, initially it was 150 mpg
700 mile range per tank
0-60 in 9 secs
2 cylinder with something ridiculous like 20 horsepower
diesel

What was most interesting though was the price for the basic model. Back in 08 they were estimating 15,000 EU for the base model and up to 20,000 EU for the GT model.

326loremo500x750.jpg

there's no way in hell that thing scores higher than an S-class Mercedes in crash tests

When/if they embed the circuitry into freeway roadbeds, the recharging problem might be solved.

wouldn't want to be driving one of those and get t-boned by an S-class either
No one wants to get t-boned in any car. The point was that the Smart Car received a lot of criticism because of it's size and weight, yet despite this fact it still received a superior safety rating. BTW for city use where high speed crashes are less likely I think these cars are greatly practical. Plus I think the target consumers for these smaller cars are willing to accept the risk for an extra 30 mpg or in the case of the Loremo an extra 90mpg. I for one support the cause and think manufacturers like Smart Car and the Loremo are looking beyond the conventional style of both gas and EV cars and headed in a direction we should have taken 10, 20, 30 years ago.

Smart Cars suck though. Their sales are terrible and the really don't get that great of mileage. Finally, they apparently have the worst transmission known to man.

I'm all for all kinds of cars but the Smart just isn't very smart.

This is a cool little video about an electric drag racer a guy made.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYrsEOxqYc[/youtube]

No one wants to get t-boned in any car. The point was that the Smart Car received a lot of criticism because of it's size and weight, yet despite this fact it still received a superior safety rating. BTW for city use where high speed crashes are less likely I think these cars are greatly practical. Plus I think the target consumers for these smaller cars are willing to accept the risk for an extra 30 mpg or in the case of the Loremo an extra 90mpg. I for one support the cause and think manufacturers like Smart Car and the Loremo are looking beyond the conventional style of both gas and EV cars and headed in a direction we should have taken 10, 20, 30 years ago.
I agree. There's really no debate on the safety issues when you see the data on how they bounce out of a crash instead of absorbing the brunt of the force. Small, fast and heavy cars, however, stay with the impact with catastrophic results.

Talked to some of the Tesla guys in Detroit when I was visiting BASF. I thought I heard Tesla was having big money problems now though.

Elon Musk (guy who founded Tesla Motors) evidently is having some huge financial trouble. I know Daimler bought a 10% stake in the company, but I don't know what kind of cash flow that bought into the company.

Tesla (as with any maker of electric cars) is pretty good at BSing the range on these things. I remember Top Gear doing a test on the Roadster. The Roadster had a claimed range of 250-300 miles, and TG only ended up getting about 55 miles from the car. I'd be willing to bet that the actual range for this car is only 1/3-1/2 of its claimed range.

When/if they embed the circuitry into freeway roadbeds, the recharging problem might be solved.

And, here it is in bus form. Had no idea they were about to launch this here in Utah.

A new transit route through the heart of the campus will feature a full-size city bus, operated with an electric motor. But it will never need to be plugged in. Instead, it will get its energy wirelessly thanks to a magnetic field emanating from the pavement.

Electric bus charges wirelessly at U of U | ksl.com

And, here it is in bus form. Had no idea they were about to launch this here in Utah.

A new transit route through the heart of the campus will feature a full-size city bus, operated with an electric motor. But it will never need to be plugged in. Instead, it will get its energy wirelessly thanks to a magnetic field emanating from the pavement.

Electric bus charges wirelessly at U of U | ksl.com

will be linked to cancer or impotence

How about the VW that gets 200 mpg in town and upwards of 300 on the highway?

Sold every where but here.

I like the styling they are putting on them, but they really need to think of a two door model of that III.

VN Store

Back