Anyone been to Italy?

blupotato

Drink Beer Save Water
You know most of us say that some day we will go some particular place before we die. But lately, I have been thinking about where I will go and what I might do when that next vacation comes. Whenever that is. Well I could run about the U.S. on the road like I have done before. There is still plenty of U.S. to see and there is a lot of it that I want to see again. I have been very fortunate to have lived and traveled all over the U.S., but the past week or so the idea popped into my head to go to Italy and see the things I have always wanted to see.

I personally, have always been amazed and extremely interested in the history and beauty of Italy. From a young age when I first learned of Pompeii. I felt I needed to go and see it in person. Mythology and that cultural part of history is of supreme interest to me. So now I am at the early stages of figuring where in the country I would like to go. Then figuring some costs of making this dream a reality. I will more than likely be going alone and I kind of like that it will be just me.

So here are my ideas thus far. I would probably start in Venice to acclimate for a few days. Then motor on to experience Florence,Pompeii, Naples, Vatican City, and the bulk of my time in Rome. This will be my first international trip and I started this thread in hopes you all could share your experiences, tips, things you wish had done, but did not, and anything else you think would help me or you want to share. Pictures are always welcome. I want to spend around 1 to 2 weeks.

FWIW, even if you leave now, it'll be 6pm local time by the time you land. Shoulda made the call a couple days ago.

I have also been, and it was my favorite country I visited on that trip. My favorite cities, were the small cities. But Milan mighta been my favorite. If you appreciate architecture and art, you will be amazed. My dad really wants to get to Rome one day, and I keep telling him to go. It was a blast.

The only place I didn't get to and regret not going was Venice.
Good luck on your journey.
Ciao.

First time was in Venice. Don't be shocked if it appears rather dirty. Gets better into the city. Florence was actually my favorite. Rome is awesome b/c, well it's Rome, but it was super crowded the last time I was there. If you get the opportunity, check out Sicily. Taormina is a very cool coastal town that has the one of the oldest amphitheaters outside Rome.

Venice, Rome, Orvieto, Florence, sienna, Rimini. The last was just to party.

Got to actually tour the Vatican gardens and visit the scavi( google it). That was an unbelievable experience.

I would fly into Rome. Drive straight to Florence (stopping in Orvieto and sienna for a day or so) then drive Florence to Venice (Venice 2 nights max) and then finish in Rome.

Driving is easy, just dont drive in Rome, it's out of control.

The countryside is a lot like California actually.

And if u like to hike and like pesto, go to cinque terra (google image that).

If have have never been to europe Italy is the first place to go.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Having family there, I have spent quite a bit of time in Italy. Here is a little advice:

Learn the language, or as much as you can. Get the basics down, "hello" "please" "thank you" etc., it makes interacting with Italians more pleasant when they see you're trying. Also, it may sound like they are yelling or mad at you if you ask for help or something, just shrug it off. Italians can be very animated and loud so don't get defensive. I find it happens more in the tourist cities rather than the smaller towns.

The big tourist cities are fun but the smaller towns are where you can really appreciate the Italian lifestyle and culture, local wine and food.

If you are gonna drive, stay cool and just go with the flow. Street signs and lanes are sometimes just a suggestion.

Mid afternoon to dusk things shut down and reopen at night.

I don't really know what else to say other than just go and have fun. It's another country, go in with an open mind and attitude and it may just change your life. Seriously.

Buon viaggio!

Born in Vicenza close to Venice. I would definitely recommend taking a trip. In that area there are a lot of serviceman but still amazing. Starting in Venice and heading south would be worth it. A week or two would be long enough even though it will fly by, you will still get to experience a great deal.

i was there in 1983. Florence, Rome, Venice and a couple of other places i can't remember

You know most of us say that some day we will go some particular place before we die. But lately, I have been thinking about where I will go and what I might do when that next vacation comes. Whenever that is. Well I could run about the U.S. on the road like I have done before. There is still plenty of U.S. to see and there is a lot of it that I want to see again. I have been very fortunate to have lived and traveled all over the U.S., but the past week or so the idea popped into my head to go to Italy and see the things I have always wanted to see.

I personally, have always been amazed and extremely interested in the history and beauty of Italy. From a young age when I first learned of Pompeii. I felt I needed to go and see it in person. Mythology and that cultural part of history is of supreme interest to me. So now I am at the early stages of figuring where in the country I would like to go. Then figuring some costs of making this dream a reality. I will more than likely be going alone and I kind of like that it will be just me.

So here are my ideas thus far. I would probably start in Venice to acclimate for a few days. Then motor on to experience Florence,Pompeii, Naples, Vatican City, and the bulk of my time in Rome. This will be my first international trip and I started this thread in hopes you all could share your experiences, tips, things you wish had done, but did not, and anything else you think would help me or you want to share. Pictures are always welcome. I want to spend around 1 to 2 weeks.

I spent a long weekend in Venice...
It was beautiful arcitecture, and drinking Lambrusco and taking a gondola ride was really nice, but that water is nasty...

I thought the food was average..but that could be due to eating at smaller cafe's..We really didn't go for the restrauants

My roomamte and I had met a couple of teachers from San Diegoin Nice, France that we're bummong around Europe for the summer. So after the fun we had with them in Nice, we went to Venice a few weeks later to see them again

I've been a couple of times. Aside from Pompeii, which I haven't seen, I'm not sure what you have your heart set on seeing. I'll be happy to expound if you would like, but my general impressions were:

You can spend as much time as you want in Rome. It's crowded and dirty and hot, but there is so much there between empire and church that you will never run out of stuff to see and do.

Florence is terrific.

I wouldn't go for the beach, but if you have a few extra days the Riviera is a really cool region.

Milan is trendy and hip and, IMHO, a place I would skip.

There is nothing in Pisa except the tower and it isn't really that interesting.

I have not been to Venice, but I would very much like to go.

Stay the Hell out of Naples if you have anything of value on you. Those Gypsy kids look and act cute while they are robbing you blind. Pompeii is worth it though.

Venice, depending on how you get there smells horrible, but once you get used to it is a great place to be.

Rome is one of my three top cities. Too much to talk about.

Milan is kinda boring unless you like to shop (high end)

Pisa can be explored in under three hours.

will be there next week :)

Venice, Rome, Orvieto, Florence, sienna, Rimini. The last was just to party.

Got to actually tour the Vatican gardens and visit the scavi( google it). That was an unbelievable experience.

I would fly into Rome. Drive straight to Florence (stopping in Orvieto and sienna for a day or so) then drive Florence to Venice (Venice 2 nights max) and then finish in Rome.

Driving is easy, just dont drive in Rome, it's out of control.

The countryside is a lot like California actually.

And if u like to hike and like pesto, go to cinque terra (google image that).

If have have never been to europe Italy is the first place to go.

thanks for sharing, i will look up some info on the gardens. if i go i do want to visit the vatican area for sure, even though i have no catholic ties whatsoever.

First time was in Venice. Don't be shocked if it appears rather dirty. Gets better into the city. Florence was actually my favorite. Rome is awesome b/c, well it's Rome, but it was super crowded the last time I was there. If you get the opportunity, check out Sicily. Taormina is a very cool coastal town that has the one of the oldest amphitheaters outside Rome.

i have not even really researched sicily yet, but it is another potential target.

Having family there, I have spent quite a bit of time in Italy. Here is a little advice:

Learn the language, or as much as you can. Get the basics down, "hello" "please" "thank you" etc., it makes interacting with Italians more pleasant when they see you're trying. Also, it may sound like they are yelling or mad at you if you ask for help or something, just shrug it off. Italians can be very animated and loud so don't get defensive. I find it happens more in the tourist cities rather than the smaller towns.

The big tourist cities are fun but the smaller towns are where you can really appreciate the Italian lifestyle and culture, local wine and food.

If you are gonna drive, stay cool and just go with the flow. Street signs and lanes are sometimes just a suggestion.

Mid afternoon to dusk things shut down and reopen at night.

I don't really know what else to say other than just go and have fun. It's another country, go in with an open mind and attitude and it may just change your life. Seriously.

Buon viaggio!

what are some of the smaller towns you would suggest that offer sites to see and explore? i am more than down to avoid some crowds wherever i can.

I spent a long weekend in Venice...
It was beautiful arcitecture, and drinking Lambrusco and taking a gondola ride was really nice, but that water is nasty...

I thought the food was average..but that could be due to eating at smaller cafe's..We really didn't go for the restrauants

My roomamte and I had met a couple of teachers from San Diegoin Nice, France that we're bummong around Europe for the summer. So after the fun we had with them in Nice, we went to Venice a few weeks later to see them again

sounds fun, did the two teachers speak good english?

I've been a couple of times. Aside from Pompeii, which I haven't seen, I'm not sure what you have your heart set on seeing. I'll be happy to expound if you would like, but my general impressions were:

You can spend as much time as you want in Rome. It's crowded and dirty and hot, but there is so much there between empire and church that you will never run out of stuff to see and do.

Florence is terrific.

I wouldn't go for the beach, but if you have a few extra days the Riviera is a really cool region.

Milan is trendy and hip and, IMHO, a place I would skip.

There is nothing in Pisa except the tower and it isn't really that interesting.

I have not been to Venice, but I would very much like to go.

pompeii, herculaneum, and that area are tops. i really want to visit some bathes along the way also. that is the stuff that interests me more than anything. as for a lot of the art like florence has to offer is next on that list. how often can a person see some of the greatest pieces of art on earth. i knocked pisa off the list all together. the leaning tower sounds like that is all that town has to offer besides a bunch of college kids. the beach is lower down and i have not looked at milan at all yet. i certainly won't be in italy to shop.

Stay the Hell out of Naples if you have anything of value on you. Those Gypsy kids look and act cute while they are robbing you blind. Pompeii is worth it though.

Venice, depending on how you get there smells horrible, but once you get used to it is a great place to be.

Rome is one of my three top cities. Too much to talk about.

Milan is kinda boring unless you like to shop (high end)

Pisa can be explored in under three hours.

will be there next week :)

i was reading a lot last night that pick pockets are awful in italy. this is one of the things that sort of bugs me about possibly going. i want to have my head focused on what i came there to see and experience and don't want my head to be on a constant swivel being paranoid of everyone. i am a big guy and have a bit of a stone face so hopefully that can be a bit of a deterrent to anyone trying to play me. but i would take procautions about where i store my valuables and be aware of my surroundings. some of the stories i have read about, the gypsies and theifs in general can get very creative in their game. but i don't want to land in jail for getting violent with someone trying to steal from me.

Well since you plan on heading south from Venice and then heading back north to Rome, take the southern route along the Adriatic coast. You will run into towns like Rimini and Ancona,where I had a good time in both but we also stopped randomly in towns where to be honest, I don't remember the names. If you're driving along that route like I was, part of the fun was just stopping randomly in places that looked good. It's a beautiful drive and then you can bounce over to Naples before you start heading north again. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Well since you plan on heading south from Venice and then heading back north to Rome, take the southern route along the Adriatic coast. You will run into towns like Rimini and Ancona,where I had a good time in both but we also stopped randomly in towns where to be honest, I don't remember the names. If you're driving like I was, part of the fun was just stopping randomly in places that looked good. It's a beautiful drive and then you can bounce over to Naples before you start heading north again. Hope that helps.

were there many major or minor historic features along that route in some of the smaller places or did you concentrate more on food and such? take into account i am still really trying to just simply grasp all that is in italy and there is so much that i am just trying to take it all in. is it pretty costly to rent a car and drive or is it better to stay the publc transportation route?

VN Store

Back