Jeep engine replacement question

Volgrad98

Give my all for the VOLS
To all the mechanics and gear heads out there, I have a question.

I want to fix up an older Jeep Wrangler (1998-2003) but instead of keeping the current Jeep engine, I would like to replace it with something like a Chevy small block or something like that. When it comes to stuff like this, I am completely clueless so any suggestions or advice would be great. What types of engines will fit and which ones will be more reliable, if any.

Any advice on transmission would be great too. Basically I just want the Jeep body. Also I want to keep it a manual transmission.

Thanks in advance.

What kind of performance are you looking for? Speed, daily driver, rocks, mud, sand?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have an 06. I have heard of people putting 4 cyl diesel engines in them. It would last a life time.

What kind of performance are you looking for? Speed, daily driver, rocks, mud, sand?

Recreation. Light to moderate trail, nothing extreme but something that I can drive up the coast on the weekends also. Definitely want something with some muscle but top end speed is not a must.

I have seen many that had small block chevy engines in them. Google around and you'll find your info. Look for some online Jeep forums too. They will have members who have likely done the same swap.

Old chevy 327 w/ 375hp, M22 rock crusher tranny, Chevy 12 bolt with 456 gear. Strong puller w/ not so much top end!!

On the other hand, do just want a V8 for the sake of having one plus the V8 sound? I had a mid '90's Jeep w/ stock 6 cylinder and had no problems with trails, snow, deserts, etc. Didn't do anything extreme either. There should be some Jeep websites out there that talk about what adapters, motor mounts, etc. that would be needed.

I have seen many that had small block chevy engines in them. Google around and you'll find your info. Look for some online Jeep forums too. They will have members who have likely done the same swap.

Already started to, just wondering if any VN'ers had first hand experience with this. Thanks.

Old chevy 327 w/ 375hp, M22 rock crusher tranny, Chevy 12 bolt with 456 gear. Strong puller w/ not so much top end!!

On the other hand, do just want a V8 for the sake of having one plus the V8 sound? I had a mid '90's Jeep w/ stock 6 cylinder and had no problems with trails, snow, deserts, etc. Didn't do anything extreme either. There should be some Jeep websites out there that talk about what adapters, motor mounts, etc. that would be needed.

Yes :) V8's just sound sweet.

I'll definitely keep this in mind. Every little bit of info helps.

Last rod I had was a 98 Z28 w/ aluminum heads. Fast, strong and sounded good. 97 and earlier 5.7's had cast iron and sounded deeper and more gutty, if that makes sense.

Dude at work made a hemi fit in his. Don't know how much time or money it took. I know he had to make some custom brackets, tubing, cables, etc.

To each his own but I thought the Jeep 4.0 engine was a dependable and competent engine. Sure would be a lot easier just to put a new(er) one in.

www.jeepforum.com is a good resource. You're gonna be looking at the "TJ" section, for reference. I guarantee you that by searching, you WILL find what you're looking for. Everything from the 4BT Cummins swap (old bread truck) to the 6.1 out of the new Challenger SHOULD have a build thread on there, as TJ's are usually the ones getting modded to the gills.

However, if you have INCREDIBLY thick skin, you can try www.pirate4x4.com/forum . You'll find what you're looking for in the "Jeep - Non Hardcore" section (I believe that's the name of it, I spend most of my time in the Chevy section lurking and picking up knowledge). Pirate, while they can be BRUTAL to newcomers, can be a treasure trove of information. Over there, you have everyone from weekend warriors to guys that build world-class rock crawlers (King of Hammers, etc), to guys that just like to go out and get their Jeeps dirty. I'm not trying to take anything away from JF, but comparing JF to Pirate is kinda like comparing UK to UT.....catch my analogy??

CJ's used to come with an American Motors V8 before Chrysler took Jeep over. They were fairly stout and came to life with some basic hop-ups like headers, ignition and intake manifolds. Also had a strong V6 of Buick ancestry.

www.jeepforum.com is a good resource. You're gonna be looking at the "TJ" section, for reference. I guarantee you that by searching, you WILL find what you're looking for. Everything from the 4BT Cummins swap (old bread truck) to the 6.1 out of the new Challenger SHOULD have a build thread on there, as TJ's are

Pirate 4x4 is a great site to get Mod ideas, but jeepforum will tell you how to actually do it. Take it from a member of both.

I know the idea of V8 sounds good, but too much torque at the stock axles of a Jeep can cause issues. If you are going to do that, then you need to think about new axles or a whole new rearend, like a Ford 8.8. The splines are stronger and can handle the torque dished out by a V8

If it was me, I would consider an inline six, with a higher gear ratio(4.56) at both axles. Add some Detroit lockers and there isnt a stump around you wont be able to jerk out of the ground

I know the idea of V8 sounds good, but too much torque at the stock axles of a Jeep can cause issues. If you are going to do that, then you need to think about new axles or a whole new rearend, like a Ford 8.8. The splines are stronger and can handle the torque dished out by a V8

If it was me, I would consider an inline six, with a higher gear ratio(4.56) at both axles. Add some Detroit lockers and there isnt a stump around you wont be able to jerk out of the ground

The only issue with 4.56 axle ratios is you are gonna be turning some revs at highway speed. 4.11 might be a better compromise.

Isn't the stock 4.0 an inline six? Seriously, I don't understand the lure of going for a small block V8 instead of going stock with mods.

VN Store

Back