iPad 2 -- who has one?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Who has one? Which model? Did you own the first iPad?

I initially told myself the iPad 2 wasn't enough of an upgrade to warrant a purchase since I own the original iPad (wifi only). However, when launch day rolled around, I convinced myself that I needed to upgrade to a 3G model.

I bought the 32 GB white 3G (AT&T) and don't regret the purchase. However, except for adding 3G, I can't say it's much of an upgrade. Especially since I don't use the cameras.

I like the new smaller form factor, but I've also noticed that the glass feels thinner somehow.

Anyone else?

My sister has one. I've played with it pretty extensively. It's really nice, but not such a gamechanger that I now hate my own original iPad. Definitely an incremental upgrade.

I think in six months or so we'll start to see apps that take advantage of the big increase in processor & graphics speed, and at that point we'll start to think of the iPad 1 as getting long in the tooth. Not yet though.

I have the original. 64 wifi/3G.

See no reason to upgrade.

Actually thinking of buying an Archos tablet on the Android platform. Great price for what you get and it has flash.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I have the original. 64 wifi/3G.

See no reason to upgrade.

Actually thinking of buying an Archos tablet on the Android platform. Great price for what you get and it has flash.

I've played with some of the Andriod tablets I've seen in stores and they all seem sluggish.

How much is the Archos?

My sister has one. I've played with it pretty extensively. It's really nice, but not such a gamechanger that I now hate my own original iPad. Definitely an incremental upgrade.

I think in six months or so we'll start to see apps that take advantage of the big increase in processor & graphics speed, and at that point we'll start to think of the iPad 1 as getting long in the tooth. Not yet though.

Agree.

Do you use your iPad often? More or less than when you first purchased it?

What advantages do you gain by jailbreaking?

You gain the ability to upload apps and features not approved by Apple. You break free from restrictions that they impose to try and get you to stay in their little profitable world of iTunes. Cydia will open you up to apps you never knew existed.

You gain the ability to upload apps and features not approved by Apple. You break free from restrictions that they impose to try and get you to stay in their little profitable world of iTunes. Cydia will open you up to apps you never knew existed.

I've heard of Cydia. Can you give any examples of apps I might find worthwhile?

Jailbreaking my original iPad sounds like a fun project for Easter weekend.

I've heard of Cydia. Can you give any examples of apps I might find worthwhile?

Jailbreaking my original iPad sounds like a fun project for Easter weekend.

Let me give you a few links to check out. Give it a try, alot of people think it's the same as modding your Xbox. Not true, its actually harmless, because you are just taking away Apple restrictions geared towards you buying their items.

The Best Cydia Applications of 2011

Best Cydia Applications

Agree.

Do you use your iPad often? More or less than when you first purchased it?

I use my iPad all the time. It's the couch computer. It's the walk around the house computer. It's what I use for web browsing if I don't need to do any serious typing. My two-year-old girl thinks that that's what a computer is supposed to be; she gets angry if she sits at my laptop and swipes on the screen and nothing happens.

I've jailbroken several of my iPhones. I don't jailbreak anymore, mostly I've found my phones to be much less stable when they're jailbroken than when they're not, and there's really not that much left that I can't get from inside Apple's walled garden. Certainly nothing worth causing my phones to crash ten times as often. There's some cool stuff available in Cydia, but I swore off running beta software years ago, and everything you install while jailbroken should be considered beta software or worse.

Everyone should definitely jailbreak his iDevice at least once, though. It's too cool not to.

I use my iPad all the time. It's the couch computer. It's the walk around the house computer. It's what I use for web browsing if I don't need to do any serious typing. My two-year-old girl thinks that that's what a computer is supposed to be; she gets angry if she sits at my laptop and swipes on the screen and nothing happens.

I've jailbroken several of my iPhones. I don't jailbreak anymore, mostly I've found my phones to be much less stable when they're jailbroken than when they're not, and there's really not that much left that I can't get from inside Apple's walled garden. Certainly nothing worth causing my phones to crash ten times as often. There's some cool stuff available in Cydia, but I swore off running beta software years ago, and everything you install while jailbroken should be considered beta software or worse.

Everyone should definitely jailbreak his iDevice at least once, though. It's too cool not to.
Classic. :lol:

She tries to swipe on my big HDTV too. Both my kids assume that the default interface of any screen is a touchscreen now; the first thing they try when confronted with any new glowing rectangle at all is to try swiping and pinching and zooming on it. In 15 years college kids are going to regard the keyboard and mouse interface in basically the same way that we think of rotary telephones.

I have the original 64 wifi/3G as well. It's a couch surfer for me too. It's nice, but obviously has limits. I don't like the flash limitation, the way it handles some email apps is crappy, and forget trying to copy/paste.

The May issue of Consumer Reports has a tablet review. They are real big on the Motorola Zoom MZ600. The Archos are entry level machines in CR. The 70 is listed at $270, and the 101 model lists for $300.

Originally Posted by Vercingetorix
I use my iPad all the time. It's the couch computer. It's the walk around the house computer. It's what I use for web browsing if I don't need to do any serious typing. My two-year-old girl thinks that that's what a computer is supposed to be; she gets angry if she sits at my laptop and swipes on the screen and nothing happens.....
Classic. :lol:

:eek:lol:

I've played with some of the Andriod tablets I've seen in stores and they all seem sluggish.

How much is the Archos?

$299 for the 10 inch 101.

It's pretty smooth and quick especially for Android. They are really killing the market in Europe. Just entering the game in the US.

It's not supposed to compete with apple but for the price you won't find a better machine.

$299 for the 10 inch 101.

It's pretty smooth and quick especially for Android. They are really killing the market in Europe. Just entering the game in the US.

It's not supposed to compete with apple but for the price you won't find a better machine.

Looks like an interesting device. It seems you must order online as it doesn't appear that any local stores stock them.

I have the original 64 wifi/3G as well. It's a couch surfer for me too. It's nice, but obviously has limits. I don't like the flash limitation, the way it handles some email apps is crappy, and forget trying to copy/paste.

The May issue of Consumer Reports has a tablet review. They are real big on the Motorola Zoom MZ600. The Archos are entry level machines in CR. The 70 is listed at $270, and the 101 model lists for $300.

Jailbreak ftw

VN Store

Back