The Civil War Day By Day Sesquicentennial Thread

JTrainDavis

April 12, 1861-South Carolina secessionists under P.G.T. Beaureguard, assisted by future Confederate Corps commander Stephen D. Lee, commence a bombardment of Fort Sumter, in Charleston Harbor.

The Rubicon has been crossed, though nobody knows the cost.

And immediately, the Union Army commanders begin to plan for a war that they think will only last a month

And immediately, the Union Army commanders begin to plan for a war that they think will only last a month

The greatest minds in the history of warfare. The militia was roused at about this time. At West Point, cadets trained, in Baton Rouge, the College President prepared to retire.

In Virginia, the seccession delegates didn't yet know that they'd be in a position to call their state to Arms.

And the Colonel of the 2nd Cavalry was in Washington.

April 12, 1861-South Carolina secessionists under P.G.T. Beaureguard, assisted by future Confederate Corps commander Stephen D. Lee, commence a bombardment of Fort Sumter, in Charleston Harbor.

Great analagy.

No one realized the price that both Union and Confederate soldiers would pay.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
And somewhere that very day,(a long ways from the front lines), PFC A. Gore was beginning to contemplate inventing a huge information grid system that anyone could hook up to - from their homes - and discuss these events from now on. But then he had to go sharpen his pencil, and the thought was lost.

But later on, just before he passed on, he passed this idea to his great great grandson, Al.

Just a little history lesson.

I hope this thread gets legs. I am fascinated by our Civil War and am always up for for some schooling. Great idea.

Apr 13, 1861

After a 33-hour bombardment by Confederate cannons, Union forces surrender Fort Sumter in South Carolina's Charleston Harbor. The first engagement of the war ended in Rebel victory.

The first engagement of the war was over, and the only casualty had been a Confederate horse. The Union force was allowed to leave for the north; before leaving, the soldiers fired a 100-gun salute. During the salute, one soldier was killed and another mortally wounded by a prematurely exploding cartridge. The Civil War had officially begun.

There was a Squadron of Cavalry called to arms in Hartford on March 12, 1861.

Marshal Ney would have jacked off to their uniforms.

One of the things that crosses my mind is that neither side saw the devastation coming. The wealthy southerners were having lavish succession parties in 1861, and wondering where their next meal was coming from by 1865.

Great thread JTrain. Everybody (definately including myself) could use more history, especially about our very own countrys past struggles

I am not sure I agree with that. Being that there were no casualties, I think there was still a huge opportunity for negotiations.

I'm probably not going to post much other than ask questions, but this is an excellent idea of a thread.

Until I first visited Charleston, I had no idea that Ft. Sumter was an operational fort through WWI.

VN Store

Back