Ammunition

DC Vol

Agent Orange
I'm looking for small numbers (50-100) of high quality .223 .45ACP and .357/.38 rounds and large numbers of bottom bin for just shooting and retaining of brass. I've browsed Wal-Mart and the local gun shops and was curious if anyone has bought online from someone like ammoman.com.

Any input is requested. Also, if anyone knows a place in the Huntsville, AL area that allows .45 and rifle rounds (place I shot once capped at .40 and no rifles) would also be nice.

At least consider going into reloading. If you have anything with a voracious appetite (like my DPMS .308) or off the beaten path calibers (like my 10mms and .500) if you plan to shoot much at all you either have to be pretty wealthy or reload. Actually you can see savings even on common calibers like .38/9mm/.45 though to a lesser degree.

Before I started reloading I had made several purchases from Georgia Arms and had no problems. They've been almost a victim of their own success though and you often end up having to backorder.

Georgia Arms

It's sometimes worth at least cruising through some of the big online stores like Cabelas as they sometimes have sales for what you want though that's a bit random.

At least consider going into reloading. If you have anything with a voracious appetite (like my DPMS .308) or off the beaten path calibers (like my 10mms and .500) if you plan to shoot much at all you either have to be pretty wealthy or reload. Actually you can see savings even on common calibers like .38/9mm/.45 though to a lesser degree.

Before I started reloading I had made several purchases from Georgia Arms and had no problems. They've been almost a victim of their own success though and you often end up having to backorder.

Georgia Arms

It's sometimes worth at least cruising through some of the big online stores like Cabelas as they sometimes have sales for what you want though that's a bit random.

Yeah, a local store was selling .45ACP rounds at almost $1.50/round. .357s were almost $1/round. .223 was a little more reasonable but still pretty expensive.

The reason I mentioned retaining brass was for the purpose of reloading. I don't have a reloading press but I'd use that and recycle rounds. Wish I'd paid more attention in my time at the armory at PI now.

Yeah, a local store was selling .45ACP rounds at almost $1.50/round. .357s were almost $1/round. .223 was a little more reasonable but still pretty expensive.

The reason I mentioned retaining brass was for the purpose of reloading. I don't have a reloading press but I'd use that and recycle rounds. Wish I'd paid more attention in my time at the armory at PI now.

Just to give you an idea what the difference can be if you reload one of my plinking loads in 45ACP with used brass comes out to .19 per shot.

Just to give you an idea what the difference can be if you reload one of my plinking loads in 45ACP with used brass comes out to .19 per shot.

Keep your brass. Georgia Arms will give you trade in for it.

I'm a newbie at this, but Wally-world seems to have the best local prices for ammo.

I'm looking for small numbers (50-100) of high quality .223 .45ACP and .357/.38 rounds and large numbers of bottom bin for just shooting and retaining of brass.

Cheaper Than Dirt used to be a good spot, but I'm not sure what they have in stock any longer.

I have bought online a few times, and everything went smoothly. There may be an issue with tax stamps on the ammo boxes, but... I'll just say I didn't look too deeply into the issue.

you can call the big three reloader companies and tell them you're a first time reloader and get some incredible deals.. you can be up and running for less than 150... progressive reloader will be more but you should consider it if you go thru alot of rounds .... they will send you one that is scratched or dinged but is in fine working condition

Side-by-side: All 4 5-station progressive reloading presses! Ultimate Reloader

check out links on bottom left under info center

Last edited:
Stopped by Wally World. Their prices surprised me.

100 Round box of Federal .223 for $.32/round. 100 rounds Remington 45ACP for $.35/round.

Out my way, after you stop in at Outpost armory, keep going east a couple more exits on I-24:

TERRY WALDEN GUNSMITH,
1862 SIXTEENTH MODEL RD, MANCHESTER, TN 37355.
PHONE: 931-728-0223
FACILITIES INCLUDE: OUTDOOR PISTOL (50YDS), OUTDOOR RIFLE (300M), MUZZLELOADING, AIRGUN
HOURS OF OPERATION: CALL
RANGE ACCESS: PUBLIC

+1 on Terry Walden's you can shoot there for $5.00, if you want indoor range there is On Target on Thompson LN in Murfreesboro, IMO they are overpriced. $20 for a lane, more if you have to rent eye or ear protection. If it's decent weather I prefer Terry Walden's. Nothing fancy but Terry's a good guy.

+1 on Terry Walden's you can shoot there for $5.00, if you want indoor range there is On Target on Thompson LN in Murfreesboro, IMO they are overpriced. $20 for a lane, more if you have to rent eye or ear protection. If it's decent weather I prefer Terry Walden's. Nothing fancy but Terry's a good guy.

Yes he is.

VN Store

Back