1063 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The All Things Cycling Thread Page 3. within the forum The Pub. I want to try one of these out some day. Quite a few on the road here. ...

Go Back   VolNation > Off Topic Forums > The Pub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
Pancho

I want to try one of these out some day. Quite a few on the road here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rbike.jpg (56.8 KB, 4 views)
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri_vol View Post
That is a good deal especially with Ultegra. Defy was an Editor's pick by Bicycling magazine. Probably not much difference between 09 and 10. Just make sure it hasn't been wrecked.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Yeah, I asked the guy and he said it's never been wrecked it's in great shape. I'm going today to look at it and taking one of my cyclist friends with me.

This bike is almost identical to the 2010 Defy Advanced 1
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
Señor Member

Stage 13 of the Tour de France was great. An insane climb in the Pyrenees. Schleck and Contador were battling it down the stretch. Contador kept trying to break away and Schleck stayed right with him.

Last edited by golfballs; 07-18-2010 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-20-2010, 01:43 PM   #34 (permalink)
YNWA

I'm buying a Park Tools stand in the next few days. I can't wait to work on my bike with it off of the ground. Talk about frustrating...
Old 07-20-2010, 05:33 PM   #35 (permalink)
BRB Pooping

I've been riding for about 3 years now almost every day spring/summer/fall. I lost ~60lbs last year alone (then gained a large amount back over the winter). My longest ride in one day has been 91.3 miles of mostly flat land up the Mississippi River. It's been over a week since I've ridden, though, and I can tell I've lost a lot of fitness. Not to say I had much anyways. I've also gotten a good bunch of my friends into cycling. We all plan on doing RAGBRAI next year.

I ride a 1992 Trek 1000 road bike that's about 8cm too big for me, a 2007 Trek 7.3FX Hybrid, a (c.) '70's Miyata Two-Ten touring bike with a bent frame to work that I got at Goodwill for $8.50, and I have a single speed (Chicago) Schwinn Varsity project bike that's been sitting around in the basement for over a year. I plan on buying an Orbea or Cervelo when I pay off my car or with my tax return next year.

Here in the Quad Cities we have a Criterium road race every year on Memorial Day that has an open class that I've been tempted to enter, but I'm nowhere near the shape to race nor do I have a bike worthy of riding in it. We also have a lot of cyclocross races and I've been tempted to turn the 7.3FX into a 'cross bike for fun. I'd also like to get a mountain bike to screw around on.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-20-2010, 08:33 PM   #36 (permalink)
I'm a five star

Stationary, recumbent. 7 miles a day. 30 minutes. Approximately 425 calories.
Keeps me young!
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2010, 02:31 PM   #37 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLatile View Post
I've been riding for about 3 years now almost every day spring/summer/fall. I lost ~60lbs last year alone (then gained a large amount back over the winter). My longest ride in one day has been 91.3 miles of mostly flat land up the Mississippi River. It's been over a week since I've ridden, though, and I can tell I've lost a lot of fitness. Not to say I had much anyways. I've also gotten a good bunch of my friends into cycling. We all plan on doing RAGBRAI next year.

I ride a 1992 Trek 1000 road bike that's about 8cm too big for me, a 2007 Trek 7.3FX Hybrid, a (c.) '70's Miyata Two-Ten touring bike with a bent frame to work that I got at Goodwill for $8.50, and I have a single speed (Chicago) Schwinn Varsity project bike that's been sitting around in the basement for over a year. I plan on buying an Orbea or Cervelo when I pay off my car or with my tax return next year.

Here in the Quad Cities we have a Criterium road race every year on Memorial Day that has an open class that I've been tempted to enter, but I'm nowhere near the shape to race nor do I have a bike worthy of riding in it. We also have a lot of cyclocross races and I've been tempted to turn the 7.3FX into a 'cross bike for fun. I'd also like to get a mountain bike to screw around on.
Cervelos are sweet. My 2nd favorite bike after Pinerellos.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #38 (permalink)
How uwe doo-in?!?

Motobecane with aftermarket tri-bars. It's a low end bike. Would love the high end but the prices are too much.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-21-2010, 02:43 PM   #39 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

I've got a friend who has a Motobecane and he loves it. How long have you had yours? Do you like it?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #40 (permalink)
How uwe doo-in?!?

Quote:
I've got a friend who has a Motobecane and he loves it. How long have you had yours? Do you like it?
I've had it about two years. I bought a low end because it's all I could afford at the time ($700k) from bikesdirect.com. It's a decent bike.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM   #41 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

Epic ride up the mountain and then down in the 90+ degree heat. Hit a root and endo'd halfway down. 5 minutes later I lost my rear brake and had to finish out the ride with only a front brake. I love mountain biking.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:33 PM   #42 (permalink)
BRB Pooping

Quote:
Cervelos are sweet. My 2nd favorite bike after Pinerellos.
The big three Italian makes are my favorites (Pinarello, Cinelli, Colnago). I'm not a fan of Trek, even though that's what I ride right now.

I did some 45 second sprint intervals for 20 miles on Tuesday in 95* and 75% humidity. Brutal. I was dead halfway through but I powered on. I haven't ridden since, though. Bad weather combined with work leaves no time to ride.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-24-2010, 05:46 PM   #43 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

Colnagos are nice but I don't always like the paint scheme. I also like the boxy downtube style of a Jamis Ventura Comp.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
Its not what you think...

Been sporting a single-speed Winsdor. It's not the best bike for this environment (mountain town) but it sure is fun. Also mountain bike with an old school Pantera GT. It has one of the sturdiest mountain bike frames ever brought to mainstream production. I plan to invest in a 24 speed road bike soon. Maybe within the $500 range.

BTW bikesdirect.com is by far the best website for high-quality bikes at discounted prices.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #45 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

I just converted an old Schwinn mountain bike to a single speed. I've ridden it around the neighborhood a few times and liked it. I think I'm got hit the trails with it tomorrow.