596 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The All Things Cycling Thread Page 2. within the forum The Pub. Originally Posted by Slydell Yes, it is. Utah has tons of cyclist throughout the state. Many doing slick rock riding, ...

Go Back   VolNation > Off Topic Forums > The Pub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
VFL 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slydell View Post
Yes, it is. Utah has tons of cyclist throughout the state. Many doing slick rock riding, road riding, etc. Many bikes for sale at all times. That was why I was curios about your location. There's a very good local online classified, but it wouldn't do you any good. Sorry. Very smart on your end for looking for a good used bike. Good Luck.
thanks.

i live in the midwest so its flat and there are quite a few cyclists here, yet there aren't a whole lot of used bikes for sale - at least not in any bike shops.

i don't know where they all go
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-14-2010, 10:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfballs03 View Post
thanks.

i live in the midwest so its flat and there are quite a few cyclists here, yet there aren't a whole lot of used bikes to find around here.

i don't know where they all go
Might be frugal in that particular area. People hanging on to them. Out here, they're always trading upwards. I've seen some new in a few shops close to $12000. I started last year and wasn't sure what I was going to do. So, I found a hybrid for under $400. Works for me. All I wanted was exercise that wasn't boring. For an old guy, it's not boring. I live at 4600 feet elevation. Riding 15 miles will take you up and down 1000-1500 feet during that ride.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
VFL 4 Life

Quote:
Might be frugal in that particular area. People hanging on to them. Out here, they're always trading upwards. I've seen some new in a few shops close to $12000. I started last year and wasn't sure what I was going to do. So, I found a hybrid for under $400. Works for me. All I wanted was exercise that wasn't boring. For an old guy, it's not boring. I live at 4600 feet elevation. Riding 15 miles will take you up and down 1000-1500 feet during that ride.
Wow, that's great.

I was a runner, but I got stress fractures in my legs that never healed properly so I get too sore after running. Plus I think riding should be more fun.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
YNWA

Quote:
Wow, that's great.

I was a runner, but I got stress fractures in my legs that never healed properly so I get too sore after running. Plus I think riding should be more fun.
I ran a lot too until I kept getting chin splints so I looked into cycling and here we are.

As far as your question about the Defy, that seems to be a good deal to me because if I recall correctly, the new ones go for around $2000. So $500 off for a practically new bike seems good.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #20 (permalink)
Pancho

Quote:
Wow, that's great.

Riding is definitely more fun for me. I see you're watching E-Bay. There are some good deals come up on E-Bay from time to time. Obviously, check the ship price before bidding. Maybe, you'll get lucky and find one on there close enough to go check out. Something to consider, if you're handy with tools, is to buy a good used frame from E-Bay and build your own. Bikes are nothing more than parts put together. A friend of mine from Kville, who is deep in road riding, bought an old Nishiki Alien frame and built it up from there. She left it out here and it is a sweet ride.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
YNWA

Quote:
Riding is definitely more fun for me. I see you're watching E-Bay. There are some good deals come up on E-Bay from time to time. Obviously, check the ship price before bidding. Maybe, you'll get lucky and find one on there close enough to go check out. Something to consider, if you're handy with tools, is to buy a good used frame from E-Bay and build your own. Bikes are nothing more than parts put together. A friend of mine from Kville, who is deep in road riding, bought an old Nishiki Alien frame and built it up from there. She left it out here and it is a sweet ride.
I'm building mine now on a Giant OCR A1 frame. In the process of ordering a new Easton stem for the 'bars and then buying either Easton or Mavic wheels, saddle and an Easton saddle post. I'm still researching the componentry on it. Can't decide which Shimano type to go with....

It is more expensive but you can customize it any way you want and cut down on weight substantially which will help you soooo much in the long run.

Last edited by Through_The_T; 07-15-2010 at 02:12 PM..
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM   #22 (permalink)
VFL 4 Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroughTheT89 View Post
I ran a lot too until I kept getting chin splints so I looked into cycling and here we are.

As far as your question about the Defy, that seems to be a good deal to me because if I recall correctly, the new ones go for around $2000. So $500 off for a practically new bike seems good.
Brand new the MSRP on this bike was $2900
BikePedia - 2009 Giant Defy Advanced 2 Complete Bicycle

I emailed the guy and am going to check it out and take it for a spin
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroughTheT89 View Post
I'm building mine now on a Giant OCR A1 frame. In the process of ordering a new Easton stem for the 'bars and then buying either Easton or Mavic wheels, saddle and an Easton saddle post. I'm still researching the componentry on it. Can't decide which Shimano type to go with....

It is more expensive but you can customize it any way you want and cut down on weight substantially which will help you soooo much in the long run.
I'm sure you've seen these. Tubular wheel set for only 6 grand.

Reynolds RZR Tubular Wheelset at WesternBikeworks
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-16-2010, 09:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
YNWA

Quote:
Brand new the MSRP on this bike was $2900
BikePedia - 2009 Giant Defy Advanced 2 Complete Bicycle

I emailed the guy and am going to check it out and take it for a spin
Nice! Tell me what you think about it.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #25 (permalink)
YNWA

Quote:
I'm sure you've seen these. Tubular wheel set for only 6 grand.

Reynolds RZR Tubular Wheelset at WesternBikeworks
It's remarkable at the technology in some of these bikes and their parts.

But 6 grand for a set of bike wheels is waaaayyyy over the top.... The most I'd ever pay for an entire bike would probably be around 2-3 grand...
Old 07-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #26 (permalink)
VFL 4 Life

How Much? Lew Racing's US$15,000 Wheels - BikeRadar
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-16-2010, 11:34 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hanging with Smokey

Quote:
Same here. I bought a Diamondback Insight I hybrid. I just got into doing sprint tris last year. It's much better than the mountain bike I done my first one with. I knocked over 2 min off my bike ing time from last year and didn't train near as hard this year. I might eventually upgrade to a road bike but I'm good for now.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #28 (permalink)
Pancho

Quote:
Somebody has to be had core serious for those. The wheels on my car were under a grand.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #29 (permalink)
Pancho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhen713 View Post
Same here. I bought a Diamondback Insight I hybrid. I just got into doing sprint tris last year. It's much better than the mountain bike I done my first one with. I knocked over 2 min off my bike ing time from last year and didn't train near as hard this year. I might eventually upgrade to a road bike but I'm good for now.
You need some $15,000 wheels on that bike. I like the softer ride with the hybrid bikes. Also, the thicker and wider tires. You can't ride a mile out here without picking up a half dozen thistles in the tires. So, I've slimed my tires and had to add liners between the tire and tube to prevent flats. I've got the old road bike, but the hybrid is geared much better for changes in altitude out here.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 07-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

Quote:
I found a 2009 Giant Defy Advanced 2 on Craigslist for $1500. Ultegra groupset. That seems like a pretty good deal.

I would think I could resell it in a few months for about the same if I don't end up getting into it.

What do you think?

BTW, shouldn't this thread be in the Sports Forum?
That is a good deal especially with Ultegra. Defy was an Editor's pick by Bicycling magazine. Probably not much difference between 09 and 10. Just make sure it hasn't been wrecked.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP