627 users online now!    CONTACT US | ADVERTISE | REGISTER       

About this Page -- This is a discussion on The Runner's thread Page 2. within the forum The Pub. I would love to try an Iron man some time in my life. ...

Go Back   VolNation > Off Topic Forums > The Pub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
Bang Bang

I would love to try an Iron man some time in my life.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
How uwe doo-in?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volst53 View Post
I would love to try an Iron man some time in my life.
It's a challenging and hard experience but very rewarding. Well, at least the Half Ironman is. A full is nuts.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #18 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPorange View Post
You could wear five finger shoes, and get the same effect. I do that sometimes. Love the shoes. I have a pair like this:

Five Fingers are awesome. I've been trail running with them for about 2 months now. I no longer have shin splints, knee or hip pain.
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #19 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhen713 View Post
This is a great website to track how far out run if you are unsure. MapMyRun.com - Map your Run, Running Routes. Find Runs Anywhere. Join our Running Community of Runners. Run GPS, GPS, Running Social Network. Google Map Run, Calculate Calories, Online Pedometer, Distance, iPhone, and More. I run, bike, and swim. Has anyone here other than Ho done a triathlon? I am doing my 2nd one this Sat.
I've done a couple of Xterra sprint races. I'm not doing any this year cause of a new baby and starting a business. Its killing me. I can't wait till next year and start seriously training again.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Hanging with Smokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenfelsvol View Post
It's a challenging and hard experience but very rewarding. Well, at least the Half Ironman is. A full is nuts.
Sat is my sprint tri. I've had an issue with a yellow jacket sting on my lower leg.(I'm allergic to them) Swelling has kept me from biking or running since Wed. I tried to run yesterday but had to turn back after just over .5 mile. I might make 1 more attempt at a bike ride tomorrow afternoon. Last year it took me 1hr 47min+. I'm shooting for sub 1:45. We'll see.
Hope you had a good time on the scout trip.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
The White Debonair

I run 4 times a week. Well, one day we call crazy cardio thursday and we run stairs and do incline sprints...........
OrangeEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
How uwe doo-in?!?

Quote:
Sat is my sprint tri. I've had an issue with a yellow jacket sting on my lower leg.(I'm allergic to them) Swelling has kept me from biking or running since Wed. I tried to run yesterday but had to turn back after just over .5 mile. I might make 1 more attempt at a bike ride tomorrow afternoon. Last year it took me 1hr 47min+. I'm shooting for sub 1:45. We'll see.
I had a good trip, thanks. Ran one day. Went three miles out and than ran back. Down hill all the way out. The run back was hell. I'm used to the Florida flats.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM   #23 (permalink)
Fate Loves The Fearless

Quote:
If you ride you might want to make it very light. It's more important that you're healed by Saturday. It's doubtful that you'll lose much fitness in a week and a half. If you've been training really hard you're body will probably welcome the rest. Have a fun fast race on Saturday!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Help Me To Help You

Ran my first 5k last weekend. Actully done better than I thought I would considering I haven't trained for one.

Always thought it was crazy, but I can see how running can be addictive. Probably going to run another one at the first of July.
NYYVol is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofton4Three View Post
Ran my first 5k last weekend. Actully done better than I thought I would considering I haven't trained for one.

Always thought it was crazy, but I can see how running can be addictive. Probably going to run another one at the first of July.
I agree 100%. I always thought the people addicted to running were crazy, but now that I do it I can definitely see why.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:19 PM   #26 (permalink)
So soft and terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by pualsline View Post
I have heard that these are great. I am not to thrilled about barefoot though.

I am running 5 miles every other day.

I would suggest a pedometer that counts steps, calories, distance, and time.

If you have a droid or a touch there are free apps that will do all of the above.

This cost a little to much for me but the best measuring device I have found is this one

This part wraps around your arm then you wear a watch that translates the results. The same one they have on the biggest loser.
This is what I use. When you finish running, you can plug your ipod into your computer and it will upload your results to a website where you can track everything and compare with the rest of the world. Kind of fun. LINK
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #27 (permalink)
Help Me To Help You

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylsmorr View Post
I agree 100%. I always thought the people addicted to running were crazy, but now that I do it I can definitely see why.
Well years and years of being taught that running was for punishment of missing curfew or being late to morning workouts is what I blame it on.
NYYVol is offline   Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Oh, for anyone in the Middle/West TN area I want to go ahead and throw out that there is a race in Early December that is a charity race to raise money for St. Jude Children's Hospital. I'm running the half marathon and would welcome anyone else to run it. It's a great, great cause
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #29 (permalink)
So soft and terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri_vol View Post
Five Fingers are awesome. I've been trail running with them for about 2 months now. I no longer have shin splints, knee or hip pain.
So I'm guessing these are comfortable running in? If you're trail running in them, I guess that answers my question about the soles being tough enough.
Reply With Quote TOP
Old 06-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofton4Three View Post
Well years and years of being taught that running was for punishment of missing curfew or being late to morning workouts is what I blame it on.
or a missed free throw. I understand
Reply With Quote TOP