Sad but true, Tennessee failed Crompton

Without even reading the post I can say that I agree....numerous OCs....poor instruction....3 different systems.....he was put in a no win situation. To his credit he persevered and showed that he did have the ability to be a good QB and could have possibly been a great one under a different set of circumstances

I think your right on most of that Griff. It really feels like a very talented guy never got to realize his potential and most of it wasn't his fault. He was at UT at very tough time.

Crompton was screwed in the coaching side of things but you can't blame coaches for Crompton under throwing and over throwing receivers and making bad reads. Crompton failed himself...

1. Most of what you say is accurate.

2. If you had a pair, you would have written this column/blog much earlier in the year.

I did write about Crompton earlier in the year, much to the criticism of many....check my blog archive

best piece i've seen you write. good job.

you might want to fix the few spelling errors.

I dont usually agree with most of your articles, but this one I liked. Crompton was a good kid, I have always supported him and only wished him the best. Its a shame he was treated so poorly by the fan base. Good luck in all of your future endeavors JC!

very true Griff... sad on our part. I hope our fan base can learn from the way we treat/mistreat Crompton.

with all respect to crompton, and i do respect him as a person and as a true blue u.t. letterman, i just don't think he is a d-1 q.b., not by a jug full. he's probably as physically gifted as any q.b. who ever wore the orange, but i swear i could tell who he was going to on a passing play within a millisecond of the snap. that he was as successful as he was is a tribute to some excellent receivers and his own phenomenal athletic ability.

Crompdaddy will always be the best. It sucks that the players/coaches and fans failed him. No one here will not understand what this kid went through. He was always knocked down but kept coming up to fight again the next day.
I hope a team takes him in the nfl and proves all of us wrong

I do not hate Jonathan Crompton and wish him all the best life has to offer, but trying to make him out to be a good quarterback is ridiculous, Griff. Maybe you watched different games than I did, but from where I sat, Crompton just plain didn't have what it took. I'd be willing to bet that a LOT of players play with concussions, ankle sprains, and ill will from the crowd when they play poorly and they don't get banners hung for them either. Nobody held a gun to his head and forced him to stay at Tennessee after his freshman year. Crompton got a full ride in college, television exposure and the chance to play for one of the most recognized programs in college football. Tennessee got 0 national championships, multiple losing seasons and no SEC championships. Tennessee deserved better than what it got from Crompton.

And all you people who want to bust my chops for "hating" on a player can

:Bbiteme:

I do not hate Jonathan Crompton and wish him all the best life has to offer, but trying to make him out to be a good quarterback is ridiculous, Griff. Maybe you watched different games than I did, but from where I sat, Crompton just plain didn't have what it took. I'd be willing to bet that a LOT of players play with concussions, ankle sprains, and ill will from the crowd when they play poorly and they don't get banners hung for them either. Nobody held a gun to his head and forced him to stay at Tennessee after his freshman year. Crompton got a full ride in college, television exposure and the chance to play for one of the most recognized programs in college football. Tennessee got 0 national championships, multiple losing seasons and no SEC championships. Tennessee deserved better than what it got from Crompton.

And all you people who want to bust my chops for "hating" on a player can

:Bbiteme:

There was no "Tennessee" for Crompton's career. He didn't have a chance. About the time he learned the system, the system changed. It's like giving you an Algebra book and testing you on Latin.

He took all sorts of hell this year when Gerald Jones (who received little criticism) ran around like an idiot, negating any chance of us driving to win against UCLA.

He's had his large share of problems, but when the whole team is out of sync, Peyton Manning wouldn't have a shot.

He made a lot of plays this year that were just great, but he was left out in the cold with dropped passes, missed routes, and piss-poor execution by the o-line.

He's not one of UT's greats, but he did a hell of a job this year.

VN Store

Back