Last night's problem was not coaching

Benionsopinion

The problem in last night's loss was not coaching,but execution. When three starters on any team shoot 10 for 36 from the field and three starters on the opponents score more than 20 points each the die is cast. The game was closer than it should have been with those facts in evidence. The caterwauling about coaching has reached a crescendo,but there have been few posts about the poor execution on the part of the team. All the better coaches than Holly need to explain how a team overcomes a below par shooting night by three starters. Coaches teach and players execute. Mistakes are made in each area,but the glaring mistake last night was in execution. Does anyone think that coaches teach players to miss shots,throw bad passes,fail to block out on rebounds or not go after a rebound,to foul a 3 point shooter or any of the myriad problems that showed up last night? According to a lot of posters,the coach should be held accountable for all things. If players have a bad shooting night,or don't rebound,or make turnovers,it's on the coach. One might say replace the players,but that was tried with little or no effect. So the Lady Vols lost a winnable game by failure to execute. All teams go through this. Our Lady Vols have had ONE undefeated season in their history and have won a national title with TEN losses. To reiterate-- coaches teach and players execute. Lady Vols are 15-1. Let's play tough at South Carolina. Just a thought,has the flu bug hit the team?

Reactions: 24 people
Agreed! Plus when you have freshman playing as many minutes as we do there are going to be bumps in the road. Very excited about the future of the Lady Vols basketball teams!

Reactions: 8 people
Huzza! Huzza! (Sorry, almost went Dilly Dilly but I can't stand that hook)

Still, there are those among us that will scream 'the sky is falling after any loss even if the team just won 15 in a row.

Reactions: 4 people
I don’t think this game would have hurt me so much if it wasn’t within our grasp to win! Despite our guards having a horrible shooting night, we literally almost won this game!

Reactions: 2 people
Were the team switch coaches, Texas A &M will be pounding the ball, and Carter will not be driving one on one against Tennessee. Would Texas A & M be successful with Holly coaching? Would Gary Blair be successful with our players?

I really don't think anyone will care how many loses they have this year as long as they make it to the FF. E8 is tolerable. Anything less than E8 then half of the forum will have a meltdown & the other half will say the future is bright. I don't think there is any in between on that.

If you watched the game. Defense was awful. This has been ongoing through out the season.. We have not stopped one person from driving the ball to the basket. There is no offside help on this team. That is Coaching

Yep, huzza! huzza! is so much cooler...lol :)

:lolabove: Could it be I am old? I already dated myself by my comments about sideline views in the early 80s. You could even see the glare from behind Pat. I think my saxophone nearly melted a couple of times.

I think what they struggle with is understanding the difference between playing fast vs playing in a panic.

If you watched the game. Defense was awful. This has been ongoing through out the season.. We have not stopped one person from driving the ball to the basket. There is no offside help on this team. That is Coaching

How can you stop someone from driving to the basket if you can't body up on them or use your hands in any way? it's just ridiculous the way they have handicapped the defensive side of basketball.

Reactions: 3 people
Not picking sides but when players are playing out of control you don't think the coach is responsible for getting them back under control. The center was working hard to get position low but the guards were not ready to pass when she was ready to receive. Should have replaced the point guard and switched defenses. She could not get in front of their point guard, could not get the ball to post, fouled on a 3 point shot then pulled up her dribble 40 ft from the basket with 3 seconds left. She was out of control and stayed out of control.

Not picking sides but when players are playing out of control you don't think the coach is responsible for getting them back under control. The center was working hard to get position low but the guards were not ready to pass when she was ready to receive. Should have replaced the point guard and switched defenses. She could not get in front of their point guard, could not get the ball to post, fouled on a 3 point shot then pulled up her dribble 40 ft from the basket with 3 seconds left. She was out of control and stayed out of control.

“She”, WESTBROOK, I’ll take her any day! Mistakes and all.

Reactions: 7 people

You do realize she is a freshman, a very talented freshman but a freshman nonetheless. Even the best of freshmen players will sometimes look like an 18 year old.

Reactions: 4 people
How can you stop someone from driving to the basket if you can't body up on them or use your hands in any way? it's just ridiculous the way they have handicapped the defensive side of basketball.
You could just run into the player and body slam them. It worked for A&M at least 3 times last night without a call. We did get the benefit of a couple of phantom fouls on our way to the hoop. The foul called on the 3 pointer was bogus. The shooter may have felt a breeze as Westbrook flew by but that is about all. Very inconsistent whistles last night. Swallow it on body slams but blow it for breeze on a player. I know it sounds like the same thing game after game, but the officiating is horrible in college basketball for both genders.

Reactions: 5 people

All this may be true, but so much better then last year guards

Too many turnovers last night was the key to the loss.

The turnovers have been a nagging issue and are part of the board’s frustration. We see nagging issues that don’t seem to be corrected, which is troubling. We like our players but oftentimes the team product is less than what we would expect based on the talent level of each player. I’m sick of the same old excuses but I don’t call for Holly’s job anymore because it’s like beating a dead horse.

It’s tough for fans who have followed the team for a while because we expect attention to detail and that hasn’t been here since Pat was here. She made the best in-game adjustments and halftime tweaks that we don’t see enough of. It’s frustrating for everyone but hopefully the ladies learn from their mistakes.

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it until I see different: our teams lack discipline and don’t value every possession.

UT could never beat Notre Dame by 33 points, or any top 10 team for that matter. Not because we don’t have the talent, but because we take plays off, lose focus, get sloppy, etc.

Teams take on the demeanor of their head coach. Hopefully we can get it figured out by Sunday, or at least show signs of improvement.

Last edited:
I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it until I see different: our teams lack discipline and don’t value every possession.

Unfortunately, that's true. I'm a big fan of Evina, but she's sloppy with her passing. Less showtime, more fundamentals needed. She's as likely to make a breathtaking pass as much as one that's so far off it's mind boggling. Somewhat Diamond-esque, even.

She needs to reign in the highlight reel passes and improve her bball IQ.

NOT coaching? How blind! Just more of the same from Holly, who has been in over her head since day #1. L:unsure:

Reactions: 1 person
Were the team switch coaches, Texas A &M will be pounding the ball, and Carter will not be driving one on one against Tennessee. Would Texas A & M be successful with Holly coaching? Would Gary Blair be successful with our players?

No and a lot more Yes

VN Store

Back