What if JG...

sjt18

... doesn't play any better than he has?

Not a prediction. Certainly not a hope. If the players play better around him and he succeeds where the Dormady led Vols failed... then I'm happy. UT wins.

But I still maintain that Jones has badly mismanaged this whole situation. If he believed for any reason that JG was his QB of the future then he should have just made the call in January, let QD go wherever he wanted, and gotten JG ready to play. Who knows maybe S Jones would have stayed if he were the first back up?

Now... where does he go if JG doesn't play well? Back to Dormady whose little remaining self-confidence has now been ground to fine powder? McBride who is nowhere near ready?

Dormady may be among the tiny percentage of people who can get up from something like this. But... this sure looks like a one-way street for Jones.

Reactions: 7 people
He will get benched and QD will go in.

Both QB’s have had to play with the unnecessary added pressure of getting the hook after a few bad plays all season long.

Reactions: 3 people
There's a chance JG plays better than QD, but it's not because he's a better passer. It's because our Wide Receivers are playing terrible, and even when they do get open, QD can't seem to hit 'em unless it's the 4th Quarter. If we can't throw the ball worth a crap anyway, we might as well take the QB who can run the ball better.

Still a major indictment of Butch regardless IMO. No excuse for our WRs to be this horrible. No excuse for QBs to be throwing the ball this poorly in Year #5. I think this is really Butch's undoing. At no point in the past 5 years can I remember saying "we have great QB play." Now that we're on our 3rd Offensive Coordinator, 2nd WR coach, and 3rd QB coach, I think we can safely say the common denominator here is Butch.

It's not really JG or QD's fault. Bring in someone who can actually coach QBs and WRs and I suspect the results would improve quickly.

Reactions: 12 people
If have two OBs you don't have one. Butch needs (prays) one of 'em has a breakout game and demonstrates consistency, resilience .

Win or lose, short of a 9-3 season, Butch is out of here in my opinion.

It's a huge combination of reasons that go back 3 years.

I hope JG comes out and smoke SC and we turn things around. I also hope we have a new coach next year. I can't support Butch's mismanaging the team, not playing the best players, and not having the team ready to play.

We all say Butch recruits well, but does he?? We have a bunch of kids that look good on paper, don't get in a heap of trouble, but can't seem to run or throw or catch or block consistently.

Reactions: 3 people
It is a lose-lose situation for Butch. JG plays well we'll all ***** and moan Butch was stupid not to start him all along. If he plays horribly we'll blame Butch for not developing a better quarterback.

I get it, CBJ has lost some of you forever and short of revealing himself as the second coming of Jesus Christ himself you hate him and want him fired. So it won't matter what our team does from now on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
The head coach and offensive coordinator need to put the guys in position to make something happen. Good play calling can help these guys succeed.

If you are a Vol fan, you hope JG plays well and the team wins. Leave it at that.

This. Plus CBJ said in Monday's press conference that Will was 1 play away from being in there. So I assume QD is not number 2. Who knows?

Last edited:
Meh, I've got enough to be upset with Jones about without worrying over the back-up playing. After the spring game I would have played Dormady also.

I know you can make an argument against pulling him 2 games in a row but not the first coach to flip QBs around.
I swear I thought Spurrier was changing by the series if not the play, once upon a time.

Jones is doing too many things that good coaches don't do for me to worry about one that I've seen several other coaches do before him.

Reactions: 2 people
He will get benched and QD will go in.

Both QB’s have had to play with the unnecessary added pressure of getting the hook after a few bad plays all season long.

I agree but doesn't that leave UT even worse off than they were?

Not sure it can be undone now. Maybe QD is just that mentally tough and would play well if re-inserted. I just haven't seen many people in any walk of life recover from where he is without a major change of scenery.

Then we will probably be getting a new coach, and Soon! JMO

I'm not wishing for Jones' harm. But it would be interesting to see who Scott would go with if Jones were out of the picture.

Just a hunch... but I think there may have been disagreement between them. I suspect Scott wanted to go all in around QD while Jones wanted to keep the competition going.

Reactions: 1 person
There's a chance JG plays better than QD, but it's not because he's a better passer. It's because our Wide Receivers are playing terrible, and even when they do get open, QD can't seem to hit 'em unless it's the 4th Quarter. If we can't throw the ball worth a crap anyway, we might as well take the QB who can run the ball better.
He looks more nimble but JG hasn't really run the ball well.

He's a passer. Jones reiterated that today. Maybe he'll come in without the baggage and throw the ball with some confidence. But there's nothing we've seen so far to suggest that either.

I think the reason to make the change is that QD's confidence is shot. But once the coach pulls his confidence from the player... there's usually no going back. That was the point of my post.

Jones repeatedly tried to pump QD up in the press conference today... I'm sure it was nothing more than him trying to have him ready if JG flops. I just haven't seen anyone pull themselves out of that deep of a confidence hole.

Still a major indictment of Butch regardless IMO. No excuse for our WRs to be this horrible. No excuse for QBs to be throwing the ball this poorly in Year #5. I think this is really Butch's undoing. At no point in the past 5 years can I remember saying "we have great QB play." Now that we're on our 3rd Offensive Coordinator, 2nd WR coach, and 3rd QB coach, I think we can safely say the common denominator here is Butch.
I am pretty well convinced it is his system. I am also pretty convinced that both QD and JG have SEC level ability.

I remember Wilcox once saying that his defensive scheme was designed to be simple for the players which allowed them to play at top speed while difficult for the O to read alignments. Jones O is exactly the opposite. It is difficult for players to execute... but easy for D's playing "fast" to defend.

It's not really JG or QD's fault. Bring in someone who can actually coach QBs and WRs and I suspect the results would improve quickly.
:good!:

Reactions: 1 person
This is a desperation move by Butch. JG has looked worse than Dormady, not sure why he or any of you are expecting a miracle

Reactions: 8 people
... doesn't play any better than he has?

Not a prediction. Certainly not a hope. If the players play better around him and he succeeds where the Dormady led Vols failed... then I'm happy. UT wins.

But I still maintain that Jones has badly mismanaged this whole situation. If he believed for any reason that JG was his QB of the future then he should have just made the call in January, let QD go wherever he wanted, and gotten JG ready to play. Who knows maybe S Jones would have stayed if he were the first back up?

Now... where does he go if JG doesn't play well? Back to Dormady whose little remaining self-confidence has now been ground to fine powder? McBride who is nowhere near ready?

Dormady may be among the tiny percentage of people who can get up from something like this. But... this sure looks like a one-way street for Jones.

please enlighten us,how do you know McBride is no where near ready.Do you attend practices.Do you have inside infomation. please tell us,inquiring minds need to know.

Reactions: 2 people
It is a lose-lose situation for Butch. JG plays well we'll all ***** and moan Butch was stupid not to start him all along. If he plays horribly we'll blame Butch for not developing a better quarterback.
It is a lose-lose but not for those reasons. He had two clips of ammo. He pulled one of them out and threw it away. It may or may not have been empty/defective... but if he uses this one up without success... he's got nothing.

I get it, CBJ has lost some of you forever and short of revealing himself as the second coming of Jesus Christ himself you hate him and want him fired. So it won't matter what our team does from now on.

If that's what you think then you really don't "get it" at all.

VN Store

Back