The Cornerbacks....who starts?

Vfl2407

From what I've read, Shoop and Warren (and Butch) have said they will start two out of: Martin, Moseley, or Wiggins.

I'm really hoping that Coach Warren is making a positive impact.

I've seen enough of Moseley and Martin. Always behind the WR. If these two start, its going to be a long season.

If they ain't got it by now, they probably never will

Reactions: 3 people
This is a good question. I think Martin is absolutely locked in at one corner. And Gaulden is locked in at Nickel. The other side is the question.

I've seen enough of Moseley and Martin. Always behind the WR. If these two start, its going to be a long season.

If they ain't got it by now, they probably never will

They've both played good football before. In particular when they first got on campus. Martin was great during the second half of the 2015 season. Likewise, Moseley was great when he played in 2014 as a true freshmen. Both players did make some bizarre regressions the longer they were here. I'll chalk that up to bad coaching by Willie Martinez.

I expect Martin and Moseley to start this season. And I expect both to play GREAT. Charlton Warren is a huge upgrade over Martinez. The players already love him. Especially Martin who has grown close to him and who has stepped his game up. Justin Martin and Emmanuel Moseley will be NFL draft picks next year. That is how well I expect both to play.

Reactions: 4 people
Baylen Buchanen played a lot last season. I'd like to see if he can step up this year. I agree about being bored with both Martin and Mosely. Wiggins should probably be the 1 or 2 at least. It feels like we have so much safety depth now that a guy like Abernathy could move back to his original position of CB if we need the help.

Going by practice reports, it's seems like it's Martin for sure, then Moseley on the other side. Although Moseley has been dinged up, so Wiggins may play depending on injuries

I think we read a lot of WHAT WE WANT out of these practice reports. :hmm:

Reactions: 1 person
I assume Osborne will work his way into the mix as well although I haven't read much about him in practice reports so far.

The coaches evaluate players daily and the ones that earn their confidence will start. That goes for all positions.

I think Foreman, Moseley, and Martin have all shown that they can play at this level. Foreman especially repeatedly shows up in highlights making good tackles, forcing fumbles, and making INTs. But none of them do it consistently. That's what's keeping them from being really good. Most people remember Foreman as the one that got beat on Georgia's go ahead TD. It would be an awful memory if not for the Dobbnail Boot. But he was the one that made the huge INT on the prior series which should have been the nail in the coffin. They just have to develop that consistency, and we will be ok with any of them out there.

I think Foreman, Moseley, and Martin have all shown that they can play at this level. Foreman especially repeatedly shows up in highlights making good tackles, forcing fumbles, and making INTs. But none of them do it consistently. That's what's keeping them from being really good. Most people remember Foreman as the one that got beat on Georgia's go ahead TD. It would be an awful memory if not for the Dobbnail Boot. But he was the one that made the huge INT on the prior series which should have been the nail in the coffin. They just have to develop that consistency, and we will be ok with any of them out there.

Foreman graduated and just signed with the Saints

Reactions: 3 people
I think it will be Martin and Wiggins at the beginnng of the year. Moseley is hurt. Why play a guy hurt when you have two capable guys that play just as well?

That's kind of the point of the practice threads that Fingers posts. People draw their own conclusions, whether right or wrong

Per Lewis-VQ
Shaq Wiggins currently looks to be getting most of the work at first team corner opposite Justin Martin.

Martin is essentially a lock at one corner. While Wiggins and Moseley are battling for the second corner, there is the potential that Gaulden slides outside and plays some corner with Abernathy sliding down to fill the nickel. Buchanan may also get some time at nickel. I wouldn't expect to see that package on every snap, but I do foresee it being utilized a fair amount, especially if Moseley/ Wiggins struggle.

Per Lewis-VQ
Shaq Wiggins currently looks to be getting most of the work at first team corner opposite Justin Martin.

Hasn't Mosley been banged up in a non-contact jersey? Not arguing with Mr. Lewis, but seems to be a battle that will drag on through fall camp

"With Mosley limited, fifth year transfer Shaw Wiggins saw reps with the 1s at corner" -J. Simonton

Last edited:
Hasn't Mosley been banged up in a non-contact jersey? Not arguing with Mr. Lewis, but seems to be a battle that will drag on through fall camp

"With Mosley limited, fifth year transfer Shaw Wiggins saw reps with the 1s at corner" -J. Simonton

Practice report is a practice report. Going by that...Wiggins will start. :)

VN Store

Back