Knoxville Golf and Country Clubs

Orange&White

I am looking at joining a private golf club in Knoxville, particularly Fox Den, Gettsyvue, Holston Hills, or Cherokee. I'm tired of driving 45 minutes to find a nice course or playing an extremely busy local public course.

I'd like to find a country club that kept its golf course in excellent shape for most of the year. I'm not as worried about the social aspects of the club. I'd also like it to be fairly open on the weekends and not bombarded by members. I guess my main desire is to play a round of golf in seclusion.

I haven't had a chance to play any of them and I do not know anybody who is a member or has played them. I figured I'd post on here to see if anybody was a member at any of the above courses or could offer some advice. I've already checked the initiation fees and monthly dues. Thanks!

Tennessee National sounds perfect for you. Have you played there?

I have not, I was able to get out to Holston Hills, Fox Den, and Gettsyvue. The only issue with Tennessee National is the distance. I live near downtown Knoxville.

WindRiver is a pretty nice public golf community too.

It's not so much the scores. It's the VN driving distances that are so intimidating.
Not from me. Age has finally caught up with me. I got on a Trackman, and I have lost about 15 mph clubhead speed and 30 yards carry distance with the driver from age 50 to age 67. It sucks when you know that the only way to go now is down.

I guess that is what senior tees are for, but I can still play from members' tees. I moved up from the blues about age 60. I have only lost about 10 yards on the irons. I never swung hard at them anyway.

Played since I was 5, played AJGA, high school, college, and golf academy of America grad. I need to play more golf in and around Knoxville. We should do a volnation scramble.

Played since I was 5, played AJGA, high school, college, and golf academy of America grad. I need to play more golf in and around Knoxville. We should do a volnation scramble.
I noticed your location. About 35 years ago, I lived off the Access Road on Claytor Lake on a Dublin rural route.

Would be neat, I still haven't played any in Knoxville but since my sister moved there it gives me a reason to go play some down there now.

Not from me. Age has finally caught up with me. I got on a Trackman, and I have lost about 15 mph clubhead speed and 30 yards carry distance with the driver from age 50 to age 67. It sucks when you know that the only way to go now is down.

I guess that is what senior tees are for, but I can still play from members' tees. I moved up from the blues about age 60. I have only lost about 10 yards on the irons. I never swung hard at them anyway.

Look at it this way. 30 years ago, losing 15 mph would have you bunting it around playing old man golf. Now, the ball doesn't spin anymore and there's a shaft for everything. It's just a minor inconvenience figuring that out and you'll be able to play until you can't stand anymore.

Look at it this way. 30 years ago, losing 15 mph would have you bunting it around playing old man golf. Now, the ball doesn't spin anymore and there's a shaft for everything. It's just a minor inconvenience figuring that out and you'll be able to play until you can't stand anymore.
I have gone from 107 mph to 92 in 17 years. Pretty big difference.

I noticed your location. About 35 years ago, I lived off the Access Road on Claytor Lake on a Dublin rural route.

You wouldn't even recognize this area now. I live off exit 98 in Dublin near Wade's and the old Dublin High school if you remember either of those

For the people who live in Knoxville or East Tennessee, what are your favorite public courses to play?

I like Sevierville, Graysburg, Egwani, and Patriot Hills.

WindRiver is nice, but tough. Especially if it is windy. I have not gotten to play River Islands in Kodak.

I always liked River Islands. Well kept and semi-challenging. Centennial in Oak Ridge is about the same, but that place has my number.

Willow Creek also looks nice. Havent played it on over a decade, but I drove by it daily when I lived there up until last year.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back