Tobias Harris A True Baller

keckjm

The NBA

I'm on an IPhone. Hope this link works.

Here's a peak into article. VF=Versatile Forward

Hiding Among the Game’s Elite
Let’s see which NBA forwards have produced like a superstar VF this season. The elite VFs must be able to score and rebound. They must also be able to shoot 3s. This season, only six players averaged at least 15 points and 6 rebounds per game, while also shooting 35% (on at least two 3-point attempts per game). Only six VFs met these minimum requirements. They were Love, Millsap, Bosh, Durant, LeBron, and our mystery man.

Who might be missing? This grossly undervalued NBA player is not only among the NBA’s elite VFs, but also the youngest by four years to make the list.

This player is only the 4th player in the last five seasons to meet the minimum requirements outlined above while still 22 years old or younger. The others were Love, Durant and George.

The NBA’s most underrated player is Tobias Harris.

Exceptional Play in Suboptimal Conditions
The 2014-15 Magic were not a good team. That’s obvious given the team lost 57 games. More than that, they lacked lineup consistency. No lineup played more than 211 minutes together. The team fired its coach midseason. And, the player most often with the ball was an inexperienced rookie guard.

Orlando has an intriguing young core with lots of potential, but let’s not confuse that with production.

While the Warriors had an offense and defense firing on all cylinders, the Magic spent most of the season in the shop.

Let us walk through a sample Orlando possession to get a sense of what Tobias had to work with this season. The following stills are taken from NBA.com’s movement animations.

In the second quarter of Orlando’s April 1st matchup against San Antonio, the Magic ran a play to get Harris the ball at the top of the key with 15 seconds on the shot clock. (See the image below. Harris is #12.) Harris is very dangerous with the ball in this position. His 3-point shooting ability means his defender must play him close. His ability to handle the ball on the drive, and his size and strength to finish at the hoop mean the other Orlando defenders must be prepared to help. From the top of the key, Harris can drive left or right, and while driving down the lane, all Orlando players are an easy one pass away should the defense collapse on Harris. Giving Harris the ball in this position is a good strategy for Orlando, and something they should consider doing a lot more.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
I know what a VFL is, what's a VF?

Edit. sorry, next time I'll open the link first.

post-ppp-1024x654.jpg

Reactions: 10 people
I believe he's on the last year of his rookie contract (or near it) as well, about to make a ton of money very soon, and possibly go to a good team if he truly wants.

Tobias Harris: A True Badass

Hopefully he doesn't go to NY like he wants to. Orlando is a team I have nothing against so I'd rather he stay there or at least not go to a larger market to play for an unlikeable team.

I believe he's on the last year of his rookie contract (or near it) as well, about to make a ton of money very soon, and possibly go to a good team if he truly wants.

Orlando can match any offer and they said they'd match a max offer if they had to. Could be bluffing to scare other teams away but I doubt it. Orlando isn't very good but they are very young with a lot of potential and he's one of the guys they need. Even if they don't think he's worth max money or want to pay him that, I'm sure they could easily trade him during the season. Players tend to want out of Orlando(Howard, Shaq), they can't let someone like Tobias walk for nothing. I think they'll match any offer even if it's to trade him later on(or even a sign and trade).

No lineup played more than 211 minutes together? That's a crazy stat considering there are 3936 minutes available in a year. (Not counting any OT games)

Orlando can match any offer and they said they'd match a max offer if they had to. Could be bluffing to scare other teams away but I doubt it. Orlando isn't very good but they are very young with a lot of potential and he's one of the guys they need. Even if they don't think he's worth max money or want to pay him that, I'm sure they could easily trade him during the season. Players tend to want out of Orlando(Howard, Shaq), they can't let someone like Tobias walk for nothing. I think they'll match any offer even if it's to trade him later on(or even a sign and trade).

Huge mistake by Orlando....he is not a max level type player

Reactions: 1 person
Okc should pursue. We could use a ut alum. I'm tired of these damn kitty's in okc :)

VF means versatile forward for anyone wondering. So a forward who can do multiple things on the court.

Thing is, if you're Tobias. Do you want more money now, or to win more now? Maybe I'm different, but if I'm making 20 million, I'm not going to go through it too quickly. I'd rather play on a great team for 20 than a crap team for 30. Now... if that crap team offers me 40 we can have another discussion

Thing is, if you're Tobias. Do you want more money now, or to win more now? Maybe I'm different, but if I'm making 20 million, I'm not going to go through it too quickly. I'd rather play on a great team for 20 than a crap team for 30. Now... if that crap team offers me 40 we can have another discussion

As a RFA this year he really doesn't have a choice.

As a RFA this year he really doesn't have a choice.

He's 22 years old. Probably the best under 23 player not named Anthony Davis (not counting rookies right now because there's not enough of a sample size for consistency yet.) He'll have plenty of time to find a good team, especially considering he's 3 years from the beginning of the prime age for his position. And with the way he keeps himself healthy and in shape there's a good chance he has a long NBA career barring injury.

VN Store

Back