VolNation

VolNation (http://www.volnation.com/forum/)
-   Tennessee Vols Football (http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/)
-   -   Old Vols (http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/187484-vols.html)

Tumbleweedvol 01-18-2013 12:27 PM

Old Vols

I'm tying to figure out where this thread goes or what it means! I'm an old vol who grew when the Big O was growing up before me and it evolved to a National Championship! Go Big O! Next thing is that we all have been through the ups and downs of the Volnation and we will always be. We're not the media darlings, we're not always on top but, when it comes to people who make since in the world it is always the Big O! Do you all not realize that Peyton Mannning chose us over a lot of schools. It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed. Look him up and find out his great venture into the world of athletics and why he is the most special person I ever met! End of story! Go Big O!! :clapping:

YorkVol 01-18-2013 12:41 PM

Ok, go on.

W.TN.Orange Blood 01-18-2013 12:49 PM

cool story bro. Kind of lost me there about minds & making sense in the world. :)

Tumbleweedvol 01-18-2013 12:55 PM

Ok I'll go on. I grew up in East Tenn. I got giving nothing! I watched the Christian shows at 11:00 o'clock and found Notre Dame football playback at the same time. Then I discovered at 12:00 PM I think, the Doug Dickey show. The Tennessee Volunteers. Suddenly before my eyes I saw Bobby Majors take a punt back for a TD. It was Tennessee and I was from Tennesssee, so I was Hooked! Then I think it was Conrad Graham who intercepted a pitchout from a quarterback from Kentucky and took it to the house. Go Big O!! I was all Big O right then. :Peace2:

Jax_Vol 01-18-2013 12:58 PM

Good good good....you should post more tumbleweed! Sorry for a dumb question but who is Mike Terry?

strongtower 01-18-2013 01:01 PM

um, what's the question??? :ermm:

BaldBiker 01-18-2013 01:05 PM

Keep posting. :good!:

Special Ed 01-18-2013 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumbleweedvol (Post 8156692)
Ok I'll go on. I grew up in East Tenn. I got giving nothing! I watched the Christian shows at 11:00 o'clock and found Notre Dame football playback at the same time. Then I discovered at 12:00 PM I think, the Doug Dickey show. The Tennessee Volunteers. Suddenly before my eyes I saw Bobby Majors take a punt back for a TD. It was Tennessee and I was from Tennesssee, so I was Hooked! Then I think it was Conrad Graham who intercepted a pitchout from a quarterback from Kentucky and took it to the house. Go Big O!! I was all Big O right then. :Peace2:

You're forgiven.

OrangeByBirth 01-18-2013 01:30 PM

I was born at a very young age...

HallsVol1966 01-18-2013 01:48 PM

my first memory

Was lsu playing in neyland with billy cannon. He was stopped on the 2 point conversion. We had a grocery store store on clinton highway. We had an old radio up on the vegetable case. Those were the days for a young kid, win or lose. Nothing could compare to th Vols for a young kid

jps2194 01-18-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tumbleweedvol (Post 8156593)
It's because we have minds and make sense in the real world. Based on nothing more than we come from hard work that leaned to think. Ask Mike Terry and why he called me Tumbleweed.

Huh, please explain?

W.TN.Orange Blood 01-18-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HallsVol1966 (Post 8156979)
Was lsu playing in neyland with billy cannon. He was stopped on the 2 point conversion. We had a grocery store store on clinton highway. We had an old radio up on the vegetable case. Those were the days for a young kid, win or lose. Nothing could compare to th Vols for a young kid

:loco: you had a grocery store store & an old radio on top of some tomatoes listening to Vols football back in the day. :cray: :crazy: Sounds like fun to me. :)

#1DicksonVolFan 01-18-2013 03:15 PM

Is Doug Atkins still alive? I ask this because I can find no record of his death, but I had a class with a guy from Humboldt who claims he is dead. If he is still living, is he the last remaining player who played for General Neyland?

W.TN.Orange Blood 01-18-2013 03:21 PM

Yeah, I think he passed away couple years ago, but I can't swear to it being gospel.

Jax_Vol 01-18-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #1DicksonVolFan (Post 8157392)
Is Doug Atkins still alive? I ask this because I can find no record of his death, but I had a class with a guy from Humboldt who claims he is dead. If he is still living, is he the last remaining player who played for General Neyland?

Doug Atkins is still alive. He is 82 years old. General Neylands final year of coaching was 1952. So that was sixty years ago. Therefore most of those players from that final team would be between the ages of 78-83ish. So, I am quite confident that there are at least 15-20 players alive from that final team.