'14 IL TE Daniel Helm (UT commit 4/23/13)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not being smart, but did we offer, showing interest?

Helm spends time at several different positions on the field, and that helps define him on the gridiron.

I would describe myself as multi-dimensional because I play all three of those positions,” Helm said. “So I can go up and get the ball and beat a db but also block for the running backs.”

Helm has one offer, that he earned in camp from in-state Illinois.

“It’s really close and I like them a lot,” Helm said. “The coaches are nice guys and I know their engineering program is really good and that is what I am thinking about going into so that’s good.”

But it isn’t just Illinois that Helm has heard from.

“I have had a lot of different mail, probably the most in contact right now are Northwestern, Duke, Tennessee, Stanford, Arizona State, Nebraska, and Notre Dame,” Helm said.
Scout

Elder was at his school today and offered him a scholarship per VQ

Last edited:
Sure...

It was not the longest visit Daniel Helm (Chatham, Ill./Glenwood) had taken to date, but he said he got what he needed from Notre Dame on Tuesday.

The fast-rising junior tight end visited South Bend for only a little more than an hour because of the weather, which was a little a “disappointing,” Helm said. However, he spent time with tight ends coach Scott Booker and area recruiter Chuck Martin and still had a good time.

“Me and Coach Booker probably talked the most,” Helm said. “He asked about what I’m looking for in a school and what I think of what Notre Dame does with its tight ends, compared to what I’m looking for.”

Notre Dame has been one of the most successful programs at developing tight ends in the last few seasons, with former tight end Kyle Rudolph having a breakout NFL season in 2012 and Tyler Eifert projected as one of the top tight ends in the 2013 draft. Helm, at 6-foot-4 and 215 pounds, said he fits the mold of what the Irish want in a tight end.

“I really like what they do with the tight end and it’s what I’m looking for,” he said. “I have to examine more of the other stuff, what the people are like and the rest of the coaches are like.”

Because the visit was cut short, Helm plans to return to Notre Dame in the near future for a spring practice. He said he will also make it up to Michigan again soon. The Wolverines staff wants him to bring his dad, who did not make the visit with Helm when he traveled Monday to Ann Arbor.

While he did give a disclaimer that he is still new to the process, Helm named a leader following his two most recent visits.

“I’m still a little inexperienced when it comes to the visiting, so I’m going to say right now, knowing the answer is not definitive and could change, that Michigan is my favorite,” Helm said.

As the offense evolves through significant changes with third-year coach Brady Hoke, Helm said he has not seen how he would be used at Michigan just yet. The personnel changes the program is undergoing have Hoke catering his pro-style ideals to fit his quarterback, and Helm understands that and is not holding it against the Wolverines. In fact, he still likes the blueprint for what the Wolverines plan for him if he chooses Michigan.

Helm also likes the academics, but he said it is the people that have him favoring Michigan.

“ ... I like what they’re planning on doing with the tight end. They haven’t been able to do it as much because of personnel. I think what’s really big there is the academics are great -- they’ll be great anywhere I go -- but I like the coaches a lot and the people in general seem very genuine that I really enjoy being around,” Helm said.

Lurking in Helm’s recruitment is Ohio State, too. Helm said he wants to visit the Buckeyes soon, as interest is picking up. He spoke with position coach Tim Hinton recently about Ohio State.

“They’re interested for sure,” Helm said. “I’m not sure they’re as interested as Notre Dame, but they’re interested.”

Iowa, Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern and Tennessee are all programs Helm wants to visit soon, too.

Reactions: 1 person
The 6-foot-5, 220-pound jumbo athlete heard first from tight ends coach Mark Elder a few weeks ago.

"I had been talking to him a lot over facebook and then he told me he'd try and make the visit down to my school and then the offer came when he was traveling back and he told me to call him over facebook and I did and he offered me," Helm said.

"They seemed interested, but I was a little surprised that they pulled the trigger that quickly. I was obviously excited. Tennessee seems like a great team and I think coach Jones will get them in the right direction. It's a big SEC school so it's really cool," Helm said.

"Coach Elder has helped inform me about coach Jones and I've recently been talking to him on facebook and coach Jake as well. It sounds like they've been very successful wherever they've been, Central Michigan, Cincinnati and they use the tight end a lot," Helm said. "I watched their tight end prospect they had at Cincinnati in the bowl game against Duke and he was a very well-used weapon."

"I've watched football my entire life because my dad played football and I remember when they were churning out nine, 10-win seasons. I don't remember how long ago that was, but I know Tennessee has a really big history," Helm said. "Peyton Manning played there and the SEC has been really dominant for the past seven or eight years now. It's pretty cool."

-VQ

Helm is hoping to make it down to a UT practice this spring and doesn't plan to commit anywhere soon, wants to take his OV's this fall.

Last edited:
There are sveral postions that UT needs to load up on and TE is one of them. I think we need to take a TE every year.

Before leaving campus the 6-foot-5, 220-pound prospect touched base with Booker again to learn more about where Notre Dame stands with its tight end recruiting and what can be expected moving forward.

“We talked to coach Booker at the end and they have not extended an offer,” Helm said. “They’ve currently offered I think like five guys and basically they’ll let me know if a scholarship might open and if a tight end commits and there’s no scholarship open they’re gonna let me know that too. I’m just kinda waiting to see with the guys they’ve offered so far.”

While the Irish continue to evaluate, Helm will keep hitting the road for visits.

Florida is expected to play host this week during spring break. He also has trips scheduled to Ole Miss (April 5), Tennessee (April 6), Ohio State (April 12), Michigan (April 13) and maybe Iowa (April 27).

“I’m really trying to see everything I can about the different schools so I can make as educated of a decision as possible,” Helm said. “I really wanna try to soak it all in and see what schools might have that other schools don’t. I know that’s all pretty general but that’s what I’m looking for.”

-ND Rivals

-ND Rivals

I'm pretty comfortable with going after TE's that ND has either offered or has interest in. I think that ND is really after guys like Tyler Luatua and Jeb Blazevich, which leaves us in great position to be high on Daniel and Ethan's list. I think we will land some great prospects at TE this year under Butch and the staff.

I looked quickly and they have offered I believe 6 TE's:
Tyler Luatua, Nic Weishar, Dalton Schultz, Jeb Blazevich, Ian Bunting and Kevin Crosby - I believe we have offered all of them except for Schultz and Bunting as well.

Last edited:
From ESPN. UT is in his top 5 with Michigan, Florida, ND and Ole Miss. Florida hasn't offered yet and ND has informed him they 'aren't close to offering' according to the article.

Tennessee coach Butch Jones was recruiting Helm while at Cincinnati, so Helm knows a little about the coaches and how they use the tight end already. Bearcats tight end Travis Kelce led Cincinnati in receptions, yards and touchdowns in 2012.

“When they were at Cincinnati, Kelce was very heavily used in the offense and I know the tight end will be used [at Tennessee],” Helm said. “It’s a great football program, has history and tradition and atmosphere. I heard the facilities are amazing as well.”

Originally, Helm was planning to make a few official visits during the fall before a decision, but he knows his scholarship might not be available at some schools if he waits. While he still could take a decision into the season, a commitment could come right before the season starts in August. That would be the earliest he makes a decision, though.

"It may make it harder choosing between two schools, but it makes it easier to eliminate schools," Helm said late Saturday, still in Knoxville, Tenn., after a day with the Volunteers.

"They're definitely at the top. I really like both of them and I'm going to look at them really hard. I'm going to hopefully trim down my list by the end of the spring and then I'll know what schools I want to visit again."

"Ole Miss is much more using the tight end as a slot receiver or an H-back," Helm said. "They said they really need a guy to stretch the field and create mismatches. They said I could do that." Tennessee, Helm said, described a more traditional use of the tight end position. Helm said he's still not sure which of those systems he most prefers. "I'd like the system that prepares me, if I have a shot, for the next level," Helm said.

"I traditionally like the small town more," Helm said. "I liked Oxford a lot, but Tennessee wasn't overwhelming."

-Ole Miss Rivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back