Travon Landry still struggling with shooting

Not looking good..especially since we are void of shooting/scoring now.. Hope it improves!

Excellent! All we need is another guys who struggles to score!! :D

I thought this was about that kid in Florida that got shot by George Zimmerman. What was that kid's name?

I plan on getting a first-hand look at Landry next weekend at the Boyd County Roundball Classic. I will give updates.

well.....that's not good news. Wasn't he always the pass first type of player? Still, not very good shots. I would imagine they play a pretty tough schedule?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I plan on getting a first-hand look at Landry next weekend at the Boyd County Roundball Classic. I will give updates.

Thanks Chris. Look forward to the report. In the meantime, here's a full-game video of Landry's Huntington Prep team playing Memphis East and Nick King. Game starts at about the 9 min mark.

Landry scored 4 here on 2-9 shooting with a couple of assists.

2012 Marshall County Hoopfest Huntington Prep vs Memphis East | Marshall County High School Videos | iHigh.com

Wow another non shooter. I think I would take a different approach gets guys that can shoot and teach them to play defense.

I noted that in the one game I saw him play, he was unspectacular. He didn't do much of anything, including shooting the ball, despite playing 26 of 32 minutes.

He just seemed to exist. He played good defense, he set up teammates and controlled the tempo. He's a good ball-handler as well. He is definitely a facilitator, as opposed to a scorer. I'm worried that Cuonzo is realizing he needs a scoring PG to run his offense, and that's not Landry.

We will see. Imo, based on a very small sample, he's not the long-term answer for us at PG. Career backup, who is likely recruited over and transfers. I hope he surprises me though.

What was a big issue last year? Backup PG. we had nobody who could come in and...handle the ball, get the offense set up and defend their position.

What's a big issue this year? Backup PG. once again we have nobody who can handle the ball, and are using a walk on now because our scholarship backup cant defend his position.

Landry won't do anything to impress people, but IMO...he will come in and be able to spell golden better than Washpun, Lopez or Moore and that alone is probably worth the scholarship. I don't like us jostling our backup PG like we did last year and now are this year, I'm a firm believer in chemistry and letting guys play their positions..asking jordy to run point isn't good for the team or jordy.

What was a big issue last year? Backup PG. we had nobody who could come in and...handle the ball, get the offense set up and defend their position.

What's a big issue this yeap PG. once again we have nobody who can handle the ball, and are using a walk on now because our scholarship backup cant defend his position.

Landry won't do anything to impress people, but IMO...he will come in and be able to spell golden better than Washpun, Lopez or Moore and that alone is probably worth the scholarship. I don't like us jostling our backup PG like we did last year and now are this year, I'm a firm believer in chemistry and letting guys play their positions..asking jordy to run point isn't good for the team or jordy.

I agree with the assessment that we have struggled finding a backup PG, but I'll take it a step further and say we have struggled to find a starting PG. Lets face it, PG is not Golden's natural position. He has succeeded there in spite of that, which is a tribute to him and how hard he has worked to transition from a natural shooting guard to running the point.

PG recruiting has been a disaster going on 8-9 years now. We have landed Marques Johnson, Ramar Smith, Bobby Maze, Mel Goins, Daniel West, Wes Washpun, and Armani Moore. Three of those never made it past there freshman year. One didn't make it past his sophomore year. Two were JC transfers with varying degrees of success. That leaves Moore, whom the book is still out on.

I hate to think we are recruiting guys with the mindset that they can be good backups. Landry will only be here one year with Golden, and then he or Moore is next in line assuming we struggle to recruit the position as we have recently. I'd like to think we are recruiting guys because we feel like they can start for us.

I agree with the assessment that we have struggled finding a backup PG, but I'll take it a step further and say we have struggled to find a starting PG. Lets face it, PG is not Golden's natural position. He has succeeded there in spite of that, which is a tribute to him and how hard he has worked to transition from a natural shooting guard to running the point.

PG recruiting has been a disaster going on 8-9 years now. We have landed Marques Johnson, Ramar Smith, Bobby Maze, Mel Goins, Daniel West, Wes Washpun, and Armani Moore. Three of those never made it past there freshman year. One didn't make it past his sophomore year. Two were JC transfers with varying degrees of success. That leaves Moore, whom the book is still out on.

I hate to think we are recruiting guys with the mindset that they can be good backups. Landry will only be here one year with Golden, and then he or Moore is next in line assuming we struggle to recruit the position as we have recently. I'd like to think we are recruiting guys because we feel like they can start for us.
The 14 recruiting class is PG heavy.

I didn't expect him to score a lot on that loaded Huntington Prep team, but I hoped his shooting might improve. So far, he's shooting 28 pct from the field (0% from the 3 point line) and 58 pct on FTs. Also surprised that he's only averaging 2.4 assists per game with all those other guys to whom he can pass.

Travon Landry (Huntington Prep High School) Basketball Stats - MaxPreps

He has never been a shooter and was not recruited as a shooter. I just want him to hit 75-80 % of free throws. If not, he may not be in any tight game during the last 3 minutes.

Very good points.

I'm sure Landry doesn't think he'll be a career backup, but that's jmo and is part of the collee game. You get 13 scholarships, usually a couple are spent on guys who will never start, but still contribute.

As far as starting PGs, that's going to be interesting to watch. 2013 recruiting seems to be just about over, the only take I see possibly is a big, and that's looking less likely with the thought being Maymon returning. So that means 2014 team like you said will likely have Landry and possibly Moore at point, and neither of those are starting caliber in the SEC IMO. So that means we need to find a starting caliber PG in the 2014 class who can come in as a freshman and start.

We are in on some good ones, but CCM will obviously have to close the door on one, it's a position of need for sure.

The 14 recruiting class is PG heavy.

Yes, and that could be our saving grace. We still have to land one. History is working against us there. Hopefully we land a stud FR, and maybe a JUCO PG as well to ease the transition and for depth purposes. This likely means one of Landry or Moore would have to hit the bricks, but if we bring in two PGs in 2014, one of those two probably sees the writing on the wall.

There is always the transfer route as well, as it seems someone always comes available.

Very good points.

I'm sure Landry doesn't think he'll be a career backup, but that's jmo and is part of the collee game. You get 13 scholarships, usually a couple are spent on guys who will never start, but still contribute.

As far as starting PGs, that's going to be interesting to watch. 2013 recruiting seems to be just about over, the only take I see possibly is a big, and that's looking less likely with the thought being Maymon returning. So that means 2014 team like you said will likely have Landry and possibly Moore at point, and neither of those are starting caliber in the SEC IMO. So that means we need to find a starting caliber PG in the 2014 class who can come in as a freshman and start.

We are in on some good ones, but CCM will obviously have to close the door on one, it's a position of need for sure.

You're right, Landry probably feels he can contribute as he is playing on a glorified college team now and playing the majority of minutes at the PG position.

I just fear that CCM may be realizing he needs a scorer to run his offense. Golden shouldering the load offensively seems to have made our offense more effective. Now, perhaps having a really good scoring wing player (Hubbs), would change that. Golden doesn't have that luxury, which has forced him to score the basketball. Maybe a facilitating-type PG would work with wing players who were a equal threat to drive or shoot.

Huntington is down here at the City of Palms tournament. Landry warming up now, let ya know how he plays.

VN Store

Back