Sabanization

UTChicagoV

I'm sure I'll never be confused with someone that would praise Bama, but in this age of instant gratificaiton, Saban has gone about building up a team down in Tuscaloosa that I think we all agree is pretty damn good. After reading this SI article it makes me a little more confident that Dooley is doing the same thing in Knoxville; the obvious difference being our ground game has yet to show up...we'll see about that this year. I know it's been said before by Dooley that he's all about the "Process"...I guess we know now where that attitude comes from.

Sabanization of college football spreading Nick Saban's Process - Andy Staples - SI.com

This is the year we find out. We have depth and experience everywhere. Its put up or shut up time for Dooley. I support Dooley, but its time for the "process" to show up on the field.

owl_getdown.gif

Reactions: 5 people
SI hates UT.

"Every player currently recruited by Alabama, Florida and Florida State gets graded using a similar list of criteria."

Where is Tennessee?

I, like many, am tired of waiting on a great season. Or even a good one really.

Having said that I understand the game of football and know we have been depleted for a couple years in terms of talent, depth, and experience.

Now, we have experience in most all spots. We have talent across the board. We are still lacking some depth, but we are far ahead of where we have been recently.

I believe in Dooley and his "process".

I hope this is the year we get back in the national spotlight like the 90's.

Reactions: 2 people
I, like many, am tired of waiting on a great season. Or even a good one really.

Having said that I understand the game of football and know we have been depleted for a couple years in terms of talent, depth, and experience.

Now, we have experience in most all spots. We have talent across the board. We are still lacking some depth, but we are far ahead of where we have been recently.

I believe in Dooley and his "process".

I hope this is the year we get back in the national spotlight like the 90's.

All of are tired of losing, but do we have the patience to build a winning team. If we believe in "the process", this is a quote from Saban: "You have to pay the price for success up front," Saban says. "Everybody wants to do it. Not everybody is willing to do what they have to do to do it."

Read more: Sabanization of college football spreading Nick Saban's Process - Andy Staples - SI.com

Reactions: 1 person
I think the most important thing in that article is this:

According to data reported to the U.S. Department of Education, in the last full school year before Saban arrived (2005-06), Alabama football made $44.4 million and spent $16.7 million. In the 2010-11 school year Alabama spent $31.6 million, but it made $76.8 million.

Read more: Sabanization of college football spreading Nick Saban's Process - Andy Staples - SI.com

No one needs to say money is an issue if the right here is made

All of are tired of losing, but do we have the patience to build a winning team. If we believe in "the process", this is a quote from Saban: "You have to pay the price for success up front," Saban says. "Everybody wants to do it. Not everybody is willing to do what they have to do to do it."

I agree on being patient and paying up front for future success. Sadly most of the fan base does not have that ability.

Uh... Tennessee hasn't paid the price for success up front and it isn't willing to do so, both figuratively and literally. Alabama did, which is why the Crimson Tide went to the Sugar Bowl in Saban's second year. I could see the point of this thread if we just hired a coach with a BCS title under his belt for a tidy sum, but not every coach has the ability to focus on the little things instead of the "end game" knowing that it will eventually pay off.

Sabanization works if you're, you know, Nick Saban. It doesn't work when you've only strung together one winning record as a head coach.

Uh... Tennessee hasn't paid the price for success up front and it isn't willing to do so, both figuratively and literally. Alabama did, which is why the Crimson Tide went to the Sugar Bowl in Saban's second year. I could see the point of this thread if we just hired a coach with a BCS title under his belt for a tidy sum, but not every coach has the ability to focus on the little things instead of the "end game" knowing that it will eventually pay off.

Sabanization works if you're, you know, Nick Saban. It doesn't work when you've only strung together one winning record as a head coach.

bama got lucky on Saban. To say they paid the price is a bit misleading

I'm sure you'd turn down their 2 national championships within 5 years.

I would turn down anything that had the name Alabama on it...

When my son was about 9 yrs old, we was driving from Knoxville to Panama City. When we arrived at the Alabama state line, there was a couple in front of the state sign having a photo made. My son said .....

"Daddy, those people are doing the right thing, when they got to the state of Alabama they refused to go in"

... that story sums it up for me I am sick of Bama and anything connected to it, and the idea that we need to become them to win... we need to be TENNESSEE an just win, we are very capable and without their help, thank you :hi:

Reactions: 3 people
bama got lucky on Saban. To say they paid the price is a bit misleading

That's more what I'm critiquing than Derek Dooley's potential success at UT. He may turn out to be a great coach, and he may be a bust that is done this season. Pretty difficult to predict at this point.

Saban's program-building philosophy is a great thing to sell to a school if you have an established track record a la Nick. But it is silly (oddly humble, too) for both Saban to act as if this blueprint is in and of itself a cure-all for a program's woes and extremely naive for any other program to point to Sabana and Alabama and say "see, all it takes is a focus on the little things and success will come our way!"

VN Store

Back