History of the Air Raid

If this offense ever gets paired with a great defensive team it will be scary. Most places its been instituted have been with 3 star athletes at best. Now the coaching tree is starting to infiltrate slightly better programs with a little better athletes. Texas a&m, wvu, and Baylor. Briles will be a hot commodity if his new qb produces 8 to 9 wins this season. Be interesting to see if fla is ready for it in their second game, but will sumlin have it ready in time? I see a lot of mesh and middle screen coming against the fla pass rush.

Once an oc or HC figures out you have to hold the ball longer than 2 minutes, it will work.

Oklahoma runs a bastard child of the air raid and their defense suffered

Once an oc or HC figures out you have to hold the ball longer than 2 minutes, it will work.

Their defense suffered due to venables, and because they faced the air raid ok state, not because of their offense. In theory a great defense will make you one dimensional. Take saban for instance. He stops the run to make you pass. If that defense had the air raid to supplement it, it would be scary as hell. Saban makes you pass anyway so it wouldn't make much diff anyway. The only time it's been paired with a good defense is leach's one year at ok. Heupl and company did alright I'd say.

Their defense suffered due to venables, and because they faced the air raid ok state, not because of their offense. In theory a great defense will make you one dimensional. Take saban for instance. He stops the run to make you pass. If that defense had the air raid to supplement it, it would be scary as hell. Saban makes you pass anyway so it wouldn't make much diff anyway. The only time it's been paired with a good defense is leach's one year at ok. Heupl and company did alright I'd say.

Justin is right. The biggest problem with that offense is you either score really quick or you punt it away. Either way your defense is on the field a lot and they just simply wear down.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I can't think of a single pass happy college team that had a great defense. Maybe some of the Florida teams in the 90s, but in reality they were about 50/50 run pass.

Justin is right. The biggest problem with that offense is you either score really quick or you punt it away. Either way your defense is on the field a lot and they just simply wear down.

All defenses get tired if they can't get off the field. It is not some anomaly attributed only to the air raid. Teams run to control the other teams amount of possessions and that would be a good strategy if you can keep up with them scoring. A great defense has been coupled with some great passing teams, but usually in the pro set, with a real run threat. It hasn't happened yet but it will with the air raid soon as all these coaches spread out to better programs. Ok state is is a good example of its success and evolution. That is, combining it with a true threat at Rb from a one back set. They just don't have a great defense.

All defenses get tired if they can't get off the field. It is not some anomaly attributed only to the air raid. Teams run to control the other teams amount of possessions and that would be a good strategy if you can keep up with them scoring. A great defense has been coupled with some great passing teams, but usually in the pro set, with a real run threat. It hasn't happened yet but it will with the air raid soon as all these coaches spread out to better programs. Ok state is is a good example of its success and evolution. That is, combining it with a true threat at Rb from a one back set. They just don't have a great defense.

My point is that that type of offense lends itself to a lot of time on the field for the defense.

My point is that that type of offense lends itself to a lot of time on the field for the defense.

And that's okay until you run into a defense that stops you, a rainy day, an offense that keeps up with you or your qb having a bad day.

I can't think of a single pass happy college team that had a great defense. Maybe some of the Florida teams in the 90s, but in reality they were about 50/50 run pass.

I believe it has to do with a lack of physicality in practice

I'm aware of that point but the offenses , even Oregon , stretch the d and make them cover more of the field. Georgia tech hurries up to the line trying to get more plays in. So many offenses could tire your defense no matter the system. The irony is that we have seen these other offenses coupled with a great defense, urban at fla. the Miami teams. The thought that the air raid cannot have a great defense seems too simplistic IMO. They do have a challenge eating clock with a lead and no running game for sure. But with a great defense the air raid would only need 17 points to win most likely. Holgerson is the one who will make it happen somewhere IMO , but since he's going back to the big 12 I'm not so sure. It's been the air raid testing grounds. I don't think sumlin will be too successful with it , ESP in the sec west, anymore than mumme was at ky, even tho they did set some records. I'm just waiting for the day the air raid is coupled with a tremendous d.

It's been mentioned here before but I think it's worth underlining, the air raid doesn't need to be paired with a great D to be scary, if a team just has some depth on D and can prepare to be on the field for long stretches it can be an effective combination. The defense doesnt have to hold teams to 14 or 17 to win because of the numbers on offense.

UK cant win straight-up in the SEC long-term, I think they would be wise to look to something like this again (maybe without the cheating this time - or if thry're going to cheat please get much better at it)

CSS did things different at FL in the '90s.
He wisely used the passing game to open up the run.

CSS was a cocky dude at FL but he backed his mouth with the product he put on the field.

He is also the best coach I have ever saw to get onto the opposing coaches head. I believe his success against TN in the 90's was his ability to get in Fulmer head.
In return Phil wanted to prove SS wrong and imo overcoached the kids the week.of FL game. The would go into the game way too uptight.

I am not a SS fan but I have grown to respect him as a coach.

It's been mentioned here before but I think it's worth underlining, the air raid doesn't need to be paired with a great D to be scary, if a team just has some depth on D and can prepare to be on the field for long stretches it can be an effective combination. The defense doesnt have to hold teams to 14 or 17 to win because of the numbers on offense.

UK cant win straight-up in the SEC long-term, I think they would be wise to look to something like this again (maybe without the cheating this time - or if thry're going to cheat please get much better at it)

Yeah it's scary in its own right, but the day it's combined with an elite d, it will become legendary. The only time it was with a good one was at ok, but after stoops left in 2004 their d regressed. 3 out of the last four years the ok d has ranked in the 50's and 60's. One year they were eighth tho under venables, which is pretty darn good, but that's in the big 12.

Mumme is coaching about a mile from my sister's house.

She's lived there 3 years, and I didn't know that until a month ago. No clue he ended up in Abilene.

Air Raid was fun. The Siren was great. "We're From Kentucky" sucked out loud.

If Mumme had had any interest in defense, his teams would have been way better.

But then about his 3rd year in the SEC, defenses started figuring it out, and had some success. That was the end of Hal's gimmicky offense.

No, I do think that UK has to play straight up to win in the SEC. They just can't recruit the depth that others do to win consistently.

VN Store

Back