Ajc.com is all over Bama

UGA insider

Excellent article up on ajc.com/ college recruiting this morning. Sorry I cant link because I am on my mobile. Ajc.com will come after anybody, they don't care what team it is.

"Tennessee came through and I only talked to them one time. They gave me a number and the number didn’t even work."

Lol. Isn't that nice.

Reactions: 2 people
so he will greyshirt? Not sure that's a big deal.

Also this part stuck out to me

What other schools were recruiting you the hardest? “Tennessee came through and I only talked to them one time. They gave me a number and the number didn’t even work. There was South Carolina and Georgia. They both stopped talking to me because I was committed to Alabama.”

They are telling him they want him as a greyshirt, at least they are telling him way in advance. I see nothing wrong with this.

This actually happened at LSU with Porter, the difference is Alfred Blue became qualified and they were over the 85 limit, so either Blue or Porter or someone else had to go.

At least in this situation the kid is getting the heads up early.

I said a few weeks ago Bama was going to have to drop some guys but they just didn't know it yet.

Last edited:
Nobody would really have a problem with a greyshirt. The problem is that you should have told him this back when he committed. It kind of sucks to be told this weeks before NSD.

Nobody would really have a problem with a greyshirt. The problem is that you should have told him this back when he committed. It kind of sucks to be told this weeks before NSD.

All the commits know that the school does not have to take their commit. I don't see the problem. Heck, I can't stand Saban but there is nothing wrong with this.

The kid has a choice, either greyshirt with Bama or go elsewhere.

All the commits know that the school does not have to take their commit. I don't see the problem. Heck, I can't stand Saban but there is nothing wrong with this.

The kid has a choice, either greyshirt with Bama or go elsewhere.

Really? You think all schools do this. Of course LSU fans don't have a problem with this, your coach is probably worse than Saban.

What is the answer? An early signing period may help. The real problem is that a verbal commit means as much as an offer until the fax comes through. If the athlete can morally flip, the coaching staff has every right to flip as well.

The fact is that it is much easier to pull off if the athlete knows they will be competing for championships the minute they step on campus.

Really? You think all schools do this. Of course LSU fans don't have a problem with this, your coach is probably worse than Saban.

Its pretty much a norm unless you plan on signing less than 25 and having less than 85 on scholarship.

There is no commitment and there is no signing until signing day. If a verbal commit is a commitment than why have signing day and a LOI?

Porter was a example of something that went wrong because LSU expected that Blue would not qualify. The whole NCAA is a farce but until they scrap the whole thing this is what you have to work with.

I see nothing wrong with a college pulling an offer or a commit changing their mind prior to signing day.

Over the next 2 weeks, Alabama if it continues will just have to decide which current verbals they will offer a greyshirt to as they are over the limit.

Last edited:
You hate seeing this but it's a two way street and nobody does this worse than Saban.

He had knee surgery and is not 100%? What's the big deal? He still wants to play for Bama, but why would a team in Alabama's position give up a scholly to a guy who may not even be able to play when they are having to turn players down. No story here.

I think they should allow players to go ahead and sign the papers before national signing day. That would eliminate a lot of this and everybody would know where they stand.

I think they should allow players to go ahead and sign the papers before national signing day. That would eliminate a lot of this and everybody would know where they stand.

This is a viable solution. The problem I would see with this is that attorneys would fill these contracts with clauses that would end up amounting to what we already have. Bottom line is that coaches will do what they have to do to win and fans are partially to blame.

He has decommitted, didn't play his senior year, so he said he didn't want to miss 2 years of football. You can't blame Bama with a #1 recruiting class for offering a grayshirt in this case. Maybe he can go somewhere he can play next year.

Nick Saban hits town to recruit top juniors at Atlanta high schools — and a gym
Michael Carvell | AJC | January 18, 2012

Nick Saban... and a companion, Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart, did a whirlwind tour around the metro area to eyeball some of the state’s top prospects...

FOLLOW UP: We went by North Atlanta High School on Tuesday to follow up with our story on Justin Taylor. He’s the RB who committed to Alabama last February and was told last weekend by Saban that he can’t sign with the Crimson Tide until 2013. You can read more about it here and here. Saban told Taylor his enrollment was being delayed while he recovers from a knee injury while others speculate the real reason is because Alabama has too many commitments for this year’s class...

As usual, Taylor had on his favorite Alabama baseball cap. He remains committed to Alabama but is listening to other options. His football coach and legal guardian, former NFL running back Stanley Pritchett, said Ole Miss, Purdue and two prep schools — Fork Union and Hargrave – have expressed interest in Taylor.

• On his current status: “I’m still committed to Alabama but I’m leaving my options open. Alabama is where I want to go. It’s my dream school. The only reason I’m looking at options is because I want to play football next year.”

• On the report by an Alabama website that he de-committed from the Crimson Tide: “I saw that. That’s totally false. I never said that. I don’t know where that came from. It’s untrue. I’m still committed to Alabama.”

• On recent communication with Alabama: “I talked to [assistant coach Chris Rumph] on Monday. It kind of hit him hard when he read everybody’s comments on the AJC below the story. I asked him questions like ‘Why didn’t he let me sign this year and then let me redshirt?’ Coach Rumph said ‘Because of the commitment list.’ I asked him some of the same things people were bringing up on the AJC. I asked him ‘Since I was the seventh commitment of this class, why can’t I be redshirted since I’ve been committed so long?’ [Rumph] didn’t have anything to say, to be honest. He was like ‘I don’t know but I will talk to the coaching staff.’ [Rumph] is supposed to come talk to me this week, probably Wednesday.”

• On what it would take for him to switch to another school: “It would have to be an unbelievable situation. I would have to love the coaching staff just like I love Alabama’s coaching staff. I would have to like the school like I like Alabama. It’s not going to be easy for any school to compare. It’s not going to be easy.” » Article Link »

VN Store

Back